PDA

View Full Version : How, where, with whom does one file a freedom of information act request?

Tod
07-30-2013, 12:43 PM
How, where, with whom does one file a freedom of information act request?

For example, if I want to know the sources of revenue for my sheriff's department, broken down by various categories (federal, state, local, other), I can imagine that the answer would be, "I'm sorry, but we don't have that information." when in fact they of course do, but possibly not in that format or in a format that is user-friendly.

About five years ago, I was able to obtain an excel spreadsheet from the county that listed the names and addresses of all the dog license holders in the county. I used that information to direct market for my dog business. A couple of years ago, I made the same request but was told that the county no longer maintains a spreadsheet and that if I wanted the information, I would have to look through a huge stack of handwritten papers.

Origanalist
07-30-2013, 01:09 PM
I think you could obtain that. Try looking at the county website first, You may be attracting unwanted attention...:cool:

Beyond that you would have to file one with the county, I would imagine at the courthouse.