PDA

View Full Version : Man Shot in his Driveway by Police...

EBounding
07-29-2013, 06:21 AM
...while looking for a cigarette in his mother’s car (http://topinfopost.com/2013/07/28/man-shot-in-his-driveway-by-police-while-looking-for-a-cigarette-in-his-mothers-car?fb_source=pubv1). But fear not citizen. The Deputies have been placed on paid administrative leave. Justice has been served.

http://cmsimg.pensacolanewsjournal.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DP&Date=20130728&Category=NEWS11&ArtNo=307280027&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Deputies-shoot-man-his-front-yard

Lying in a hospital bed the night after he was shot by Escambia County sheriff’s deputies in his own front yard, Roy Middleton only had one question: Why?

Middleton, 60, of the 200 block of Shadow Lawn Lane in Warrington, was shot in the leg about 2:42 a.m. Saturday while trying to retrieve a cigarette from his mother’s car in the driveway of their home.

A neighbor saw someone reaching into the car and called 911. While he was looking into the vehicle, deputies arrived in response to the burglary call.

Middleton said he was bent over in the car searching the interior for a loose cigarette when he heard a voice order him to, “Get your hands where I can see them.”

He said he initially thought it was a neighbor joking with him, but when he turned his head he saw deputies standing halfway down his driveway.

He said he backed out of the vehicle with his hands raised, but when he turned to face the deputies, they immediately opened fire.

“It was like a firing squad,” he said. “Bullets were flying everywhere.”

The Escambia County Sheriff’s Office declined to comment on the incident Saturday.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating, as is standard in deputy-involved shootings. Lying in a hospital bed the night after he was shot by Escambia County sheriff’s deputies in his own front yard, Roy Middleton only had one question: Why?

Middleton, 60, of the 200 block of Shadow Lawn Lane in Warrington, was shot in the leg about 2:42 a.m. Saturday while trying to retrieve a cigarette from his mother’s car in the driveway of their home.

A neighbor saw someone reaching into the car and called 911. While he was looking into the vehicle, deputies arrived in response to the burglary call.

Middleton said he was bent over in the car searching the interior for a loose cigarette when he heard a voice order him to, “Get your hands where I can see them.”

He said he initially thought it was a neighbor joking with him, but when he turned his head he saw deputies standing halfway down his driveway.

He said he backed out of the vehicle with his hands raised, but when he turned to face the deputies, they immediately opened fire.

“It was like a firing squad,” he said. “Bullets were flying everywhere.”

The Escambia County Sheriff’s Office declined to comment on the incident Saturday.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating, as is standard in deputy-involved shootings. The deputies, who have not been publicly identified, have been placed on paid administrative leave.

In Baptist Hospital and groggy on Saturday, Middleton said he would be in recovery for several weeks. His wounds are not life-threatening.

“I’m just glad they didn’t hit me here or here,” he said, pointing toward his head and chest. “My mother’s car is full of bullet holes though. My wife had to go and get a rental.”

The neighborhood where Middleton lives was quiet Saturday afternoon, and there was no evidence the shooting had even occurred. However, neighbors said only a few hours earlier the area had been congested with law enforcement vehicles and yellow crime scene tape.

Several neighbors said they heard the commotion, but weren’t entirely sure why events unfolded the way they did. A teenage girl who said she witnessed a portion of the incident said she never saw Middleton provoke the deputies.

“He wasn’t belligerent or anything,“ she said.

Middleton, too, said he doesn’t understand how or why the incident escalated so quickly. He also said deputies never offered him an explanation or an apology.

“Even if they thought the car was stolen, all they had to do was run the license plate,” he said. “They would have seen that that car belonged there.”

In Baptist Hospital and groggy on Saturday, Middleton said he would be in recovery for several weeks. His wounds are not life-threatening.

“I’m just glad they didn’t hit me here or here,” he said, pointing toward his head and chest. “My mother’s car is full of bullet holes though. My wife had to go and get a rental.”

The neighborhood where Middleton lives was quiet Saturday afternoon, and there was no evidence the shooting had even occurred. However, neighbors said only a few hours earlier the area had been congested with law enforcement vehicles and yellow crime scene tape.

Several neighbors said they heard the commotion, but weren’t entirely sure why events unfolded the way they did. A teenage girl who said she witnessed a portion of the incident said she never saw Middleton provoke the deputies.

“He wasn’t belligerent or anything,“ she said.

Middleton, too, said he doesn’t understand how or why the incident escalated so quickly. He also said deputies never offered him an explanation or an apology.

“Even if they thought the car was stolen, all they had to do was run the license plate,” he said. “They would have seen that that car belonged there.”

tod evans
07-29-2013, 06:25 AM
Officer safety...

:mad:

Snew
07-29-2013, 06:49 AM
insanity!

kathy88
07-29-2013, 07:09 AM
That poor guy. I hope they push the issue.

presence
07-29-2013, 07:11 AM
//

No one is saying you cant be prejudiced or a bigot. We are all human and hold prejudices. If you state that you dont have prejudices, your lying! But, when you act on it and victimize innocent citizens[,] than that is a concern.

[]

No one grows up and wants to be a cop killer.

-Dorner

Henry Rogue
07-29-2013, 07:12 AM
he heard a voice order him to, “Get your hands where I can see them.”

The cop didn't say "Simon says". The punishment for breaking the rules of the game, is hot lead.

Chester Copperpot
07-29-2013, 07:14 AM
how about sue the bastard who called in the false report

Red Green
07-29-2013, 07:15 AM
Hey, he raised his hands like he was going to throw a bunch of old-man punches at these guys. They were probably in fear for their lives. He's just lucky they decided to fire of 12 warning shots before shooting him in the leg....

Origanalist
07-29-2013, 07:18 AM
He also said deputies never offered him an explanation or an apology.

Why? Because FUCK YOU! That's why.

Origanalist
07-29-2013, 07:19 AM
//

Ya, that was my first inclination too. Just shut up and don't blow your stack.

Anti Federalist
07-29-2013, 07:24 AM
Thank God all those brave Officers were unhurt.

presence
07-29-2013, 07:26 AM
Ya, that was my first inclination too. Just shut up and don't blow your stack.

Yeah... decided best not to say anything myself; this shit gets me hostile, best to bite your tongue when hostile. I'll let Dorner speak for me this morning.

Those of you who go along to get along have no backbone and destroy the foundation of courage.
You are the enablers of those who are guilty of misconduct.

-Dorner

jtap
07-29-2013, 07:30 AM
Imagine if he was a dog. No way they would have let him live.

However, neighbors said only a few hours earlier the area had been congested with law enforcement vehicles and yellow crime scene tape.

Did they call the cops to tape off the crime scene the cops created? Where was the crime before they arrived?

Henry Rogue
07-29-2013, 07:32 AM
Thank God all those brave Officers were unhurt. If you could just get them to form a circle, I'm sure they would incur some fratricide, given their poor aim and generous expenditure of ammo.

EBounding
07-29-2013, 07:39 AM
Why are cops such horrible shots? This man should be dead.

donnay
07-29-2013, 07:39 AM
Saturday while trying to retrieve a cigarette from his mother’s car in the driveway of their home.

Cops don't kill - cigarettes do! They were just trying to save his life! <s>

presence
07-29-2013, 07:40 AM

Culture of fear.

Origanalist
07-29-2013, 07:44 AM
Culture of fear.

Exactly! Their training obviously teaches them to consider all of us as a dangerous threat to their lives. But if that were true they would all be dead.

Anti Federalist
07-29-2013, 08:04 AM
If you could just get them to form a circle, I'm sure they would incur some fratricide, given their poor aim and generous expenditure of ammo.

This has happened before.

When it does, you know who gets charged?

The Mundane that their stupid, sorry-shot asses were trying to assassinate.

pcosmar
07-29-2013, 08:07 AM
If you are not doing anything wrong,,

FAIL

Anti Federalist
07-29-2013, 08:14 AM
If you are not doing anything wrong,,

FAIL

/thread

JK/SEA
07-29-2013, 08:34 AM

pretty sure Roy won't be sending them a Christmas card this year.

Pericles
07-29-2013, 09:09 AM

See the ABC news report on why the public is too incompetent to carry guns over in the Bearing Arms section. Cops spend less time on the range than a serious shootist.

Matthew5
07-29-2013, 09:14 AM
Guys, calm down. He thought he had his taser drawn instead of his gun. Simple mistake!

:D

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-29-2013, 09:18 AM
gotta look out for the CROOKS and the COOPS

CaptUSA
07-29-2013, 09:22 AM
Cigarettes are weapons of mass destruction - the cops might have saved millions of people.
Who knows, there may have been Skittles in the car.
Who goes outside at 2:42 in the morning while you're black?! Obviously, he was up to no good.
As far as the aim goes, maybe these cops had perfect aim and they were trying to bring down a dangerous assailant with non-lethal placement of their rounds. (The holes in the vehicle were just warning shots?)

/sarcasm

Yeah, there can be no reasonable explanation for this. Just shitty cops with superiority complexes and slipshod training.

FindLiberty
07-29-2013, 09:36 AM
If you see sumtin', say something (or hide). Juz don't make that 911 phone call 'cause it might get your dog, you or some other innocent person shot to death.

Pericles
07-29-2013, 09:39 AM

I'd settle for beat the crap out of the bastard.

Origanalist
07-29-2013, 09:43 AM
I'd settle for beat the crap out of the bastard.

SWAT him.

angelatc
07-29-2013, 09:46 AM
I tweet these stories out with fake headlines. I think for this one, I shall use: Police Catch Islamic Terrorist Planting Car Bomb

Origanalist
07-29-2013, 09:49 AM
Add to Reputation: angelatc
What do you think of angelatc's post?

Definitely in the "I approve" category. :D

Occam's Banana
07-29-2013, 08:25 PM

Obviously, he was about to pull some sort of Jedi mind trick. The Imperial stormtroo ... erm, I mean, police officers ... had to do something - and quick!

I tweet these stories out with fake headlines. I think for this one, I shall use: Police Catch Islamic Terrorist Planting Car Bomb

"Shut up and take my +rep!!"

aGameOfThrones
07-29-2013, 08:55 PM
You can blame SYG Laws.

Henry Rogue
07-29-2013, 08:57 PM
You Know how cops are tased before they can use tasers.........:D

Pericles
07-29-2013, 10:03 PM
SWAT him.

I approve of this post +rep

lib3rtarian
07-30-2013, 08:19 AM
We are all 100x more likely to be shot dead by someone with a badge than blown up by someone with a turban.

jtap
08-22-2013, 11:35 AM
http://www.weartv.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/roy-middleton-opens-up-being-shot-escambia-county-deputies-35206.shtml

Sheriff Morgan is an idiot. They need to get him out of that job or people need to move from Escambia County. Sickening how he defends his officers when they are clearly in the wrong in multiple cases.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2013/08/escambia_county_sheriff_david_morgan_his_bizarre_d efense_of_the_shooting.html