PDA

View Full Version : California jail program offers pay options for nicer incarceration

devil21
07-29-2013, 04:30 AM
Pay up and you won't be placed with the animal commoners. Sounds a little extortion-y to me.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/28/california-prison-pay-to-stay_n_3667573.html

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-29-2013, 09:19 AM
this doesn't sound like equal protection/treatment under the law

phill4paul
07-29-2013, 10:16 AM
However, it's been defended by its creators as a way for the city of Fremont to earn some much-needed money.

Because, in the end, this is what it all comes down to.

Christian Liberty
07-29-2013, 10:21 AM
Better than taking it by taxes, right?

nobody's_hero
07-29-2013, 10:31 AM
Better than taking it by taxes, right?

Except for the fact that when the state uses law-breaking as a source of revenue, everything becomes illegal.

Just think how many jurisdictions have hired and expanded their departments hoping and praying that people continue to break the law just so they can have extra money in the coffers. What if suddenly everyone followed the law? Layoffs. Law and order is not in the interest of the state. Chaos, however, can be extremely profitable.

Notice that criminal offences which require department resources where there are no profits to be made, such as homicides investigations, often go uncompleted. If a thug shoots an old lady crossing the street, they're not going to get any money from the thug, so really, why bother wasting a bunch of time and personnel investigating this woman's murder when you could just spend your time snapping photos of people running red lights and pull in a lot more $$$? Should we really wonder why there are so many cold-cases on the books?

Christian Liberty
07-29-2013, 10:51 AM
Except for the fact that when the state uses law-breaking as a source of revenue, everything becomes illegal.

Just think how many jurisdictions have hired and expanded their departments hoping and praying that people continue to break the law just so they can have extra money in the coffers. What if suddenly everyone followed the law? Layoffs. Law and order is not in the interest of the state. Chaos, however, can be extremely profitable.

Notice that criminal offences which require department resources where there are no profits to be made, such as homicides investigations, often go uncompleted. If a thug shoots an old lady crossing the street, they're not going to get any money from the thug, so really, why bother wasting a bunch of time and personnel investigating this woman's murder when you could just spend your time snapping photos of people running red lights and pull in a lot more $$$? Should we really wonder why there are so many cold-cases on the books?

Yeah, true. I guess I just felt like playing Devil's Advocate. But I agree with you

Occam's Banana
07-29-2013, 08:13 PM
♪ ... welcome to the Hotel California ... ♫