PDA

View Full Version : Greenwald to testify before Congress Wednesday (update: cancelled)

jct74
07-28-2013, 01:55 PM
Greenwald to testify before Congress

By DYLAN BYERS | 7/26/13 5:13 PM EDT

The Guardian's Glenn Greenwald will testify before a bipartisan congressional group next week about the National Security Agency's surveillance program, he confirmed to POLITICO.

The hearing will take place on Wednesday and comes amid growing congressional concern over the reach of the NSA's surveillance tactics. It will be headed by Democratic Rep. Alan Grayson.

According to the Guardian’s report, Greenwald will testify via video-link from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

The House this week narrowly defeated an amendment by Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich.) that would have limited the agency’s ability to collect millions of Americans’ phone records.

A recent poll by Pew suggests that 50 percent of Americans approve of the NSA’s surveillance programs, while 44 percent do not.

More details at The Guardian.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2013/07/greenwald-to-testify-before-congress-169314.html

edit: see post #11 for update

jct74
07-28-2013, 01:56 PM
more on the hearing that will take place:

NSA surveillance critics to testify before Congress

Democratic congressman Alan Grayson says hearing will help stop 'constant misleading information' from intelligence chiefs

Paul Lewis in Washington
Friday 26 July 2013 07.00 EDT

Congress will hear testimony from critics of the National Security Agency's surveillance practices for the first time since the whistleblower Edward Snowden's explosive leaks were made public.

Democratic congressman Alan Grayson, who is leading a bipartisan group of congressman organising the hearing, told the Guardian it would serve to counter the "constant misleading information" from the intelligence community.

Grayson, who was instrumental in fostering support among Democrats for the the amendment, said Wednesday's hearing would mark the first time critics of NSA surveillance methods have testified before Congress since Snowden's leaks were published by the Guardian and Washington Post.

"I have been concerned about the fact that we have heard incessantly in recent weeks from General Keith Alexander [director of the NSA] and Mr James Clapper [director of National Intelligence] about their side of the story," he said. "We have barely heard anything in Congress from critics of the program.

"We have put together an ad hoc, bipartisan hearing on domestic surveillance in on the Capitol. We plan to have critics of the program come in and give their view – from the left and the right."

Grayson said the hearing had bipartisan support, and was backed by the Republican congressman Justin Amash, whose draft the amendment that was narrowly defeated.

The hearing will take place at the same time as a Senate hearing into the NSA's activities. That will feature Gen Alexander and possibly his deputy, Chris Inglis, as well as senior officials from the Department of Justice and FBI.

read more:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/26/nsa-surveillance-critics-testify-congress

enhanced_deficit
07-28-2013, 01:59 PM
If they detained/tortured him without a trial, this congeress should be voted out. At least the 217 members.

07-28-2013, 02:37 PM
I was worried until I saw video link. He would be wise not to set foot on US soil.

surf
07-28-2013, 05:26 PM
I assume that this will all be "in the congressional record." he'll be criticized by many for not testifying in person.... Greenwald's a hero as well.

anaconda
07-28-2013, 05:58 PM
This will be entertaining indeed.

Working Poor
07-28-2013, 06:05 PM
Wow only 44% against domestic spying I thought it would be more

AngryCanadian
07-28-2013, 06:11 PM

From the same poll.

A recent poll by Pew suggests that 50 percent of Americans approve of the NSA’s surveillance programs, while 44 percent do not.

Just whom are these 50 percent of Americans whom approve of the NSA’s surveillance programs? fat ones watching CNN? no offense meant or those whom support the Goverment either way i would take the poll as nothing more then a grain of salt.

luctor-et-emergo
07-28-2013, 06:14 PM
I will make time to watch this live on c-span, no matter what. It will be the best watched c-span event of the year if not decade. Greenwald is a real journalist, even though his personal political views may be to the left, his reporting is as close to unbiased as unbiased can be. His demeanor is great, can't wait to see what he has to say to congress !

muh_roads
07-28-2013, 08:44 PM

Obama cock tastes good. He can do no wrong.

tsai3904
07-30-2013, 10:59 PM
Hearing cancelled.

But Greenwald now tells POLITICO that the hearing has been canceled due to Obama's decision to meet with House Democrats.

"Obama developed a sudden and newfound interest in House Democrats and scheduled a meeting with them for that same time," he wrote in an email, adding that the committee was trying to re-schedule the meeting to take place before congress goes on recess.

Representatives from both the American Civil Liberties Union and the conservative Cato Institute were expected to testify, Grayson told The Guardian.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2013/07/greenwald-nsa-surveillance-hearing-cancelled-169526.html

HOLLYWOOD
07-30-2013, 11:31 PM
UPDATE (Jul. 30, 4:30 p.m.): Greenwald now tells POLITICO the hearing has been cancelled. (http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2013/07/greenwald-nsa-surveillance-hearing-cancelled-169526.html)

Man O Man... is Obama a scumbag or what? That clown is worse than Slick Willy and W combined. There's ZERO morality coming from the White House, the whole bunch are liars with the 2 Mafioso parties and the slimiest Godfather on the planet.

Bunch of Psychotic Motherfuckers

anaconda
07-31-2013, 01:31 AM
Man O Man... is Obama a scumbag or what? That clown is worse than Slick Willy and W combined. There's ZERO morality coming from the White House, the whole bunch are liars with the 2 Mafioso parties and the slimiest Godfather on the planet.

Bunch of Psychotic Motherfuckers

Yet, I don't see what Soetoro accomplishes. I'm assuming they'll simply reschedule with Greenwald, Greenwald will be even better prepared, and probably more pissed off.

ClydeCoulter
07-31-2013, 05:22 AM
Yet, I don't see what Soetoro accomplishes. I'm assuming they'll simply reschedule with Greenwald, Greenwald will be even better prepared, and probably more pissed off.

Look, ummm, this will give Greenwald, ummm, a bit more time, ummm, to consider what he's doing. Besides, ummm, he might get sick, ummm, or something.

Cap
07-31-2013, 06:15 AM
By canceling the hearing, it only shows that the establishment is very worried. I would luv to see some more truth disclosed as another lesson in blow-back.

anaconda
07-31-2013, 04:53 PM
Look, ummm, this will give Greenwald, ummm, a bit more time, ummm, to consider what he's doing. Besides, ummm, he might get sick, ummm, or something.

I'll guess that strategy backfires on the government, in the case of Greenwald.

JK/SEA
07-31-2013, 06:09 PM
meanwhile, isn't Greenwald supposed to on Piers Morgan in about 50 minutes?

anaconda
07-31-2013, 07:41 PM
By canceling the hearing, it only shows that the establishment is very worried. I would luv to see some more truth disclosed as another lesson in blow-back.

Can you imagine Alan Grayson vs. Clapper?....Duck and cover..

anaconda
07-31-2013, 07:52 PM
Looks like there's also Senate NSA hearings this week according to this article:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/07/26/glenn-greenwald-and-other-nsa-critics-to-testify-before-congress-rep-grayson/

Legend1104
07-31-2013, 08:08 PM
Of course it would be cancelled. We all know how much Congress hates to hear the truth and have it on record.