PDA

View Full Version : Larry the Cable Guy Opposes Gay Marriage Ban, Turns Libertarian

BarryDonegan
07-26-2013, 02:44 PM
http://silverunderground.com/2013/07/larry-the-cable-guy-opposes-gay-marriage-ban-turns-libertarian/

'In an interview with Larry King, Larry The Cable Guy indicated that he is “more of a libertarian conservative as of late.” He went on to ask, “Why can’t people mind their own business?”

Larry King took the opportunity to check up on his position on gay marriage, to which Larry the Cable Guy responded, “It ain’t affecting my life at all.” The blue collar themed comedian went further with a suggestion to Americans, “Live your life, leave other people alone, and just enjoy your life. Enjoy being an American. It’s a great country.”'

KEEF
07-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Wow, "Git er done"

enhanced_deficit
07-26-2013, 03:03 PM
He is not gay.

trey4sports
07-26-2013, 03:03 PM
that's nice to see.

phill4paul
07-26-2013, 03:06 PM
They call me "Tossed Salad." :o j/k j/k Wrong comedian I know. Good on Larry. I have to wonder if it will hurt his bottom line in the "red-neck" market though.

Neil Desmond
07-26-2013, 03:11 PM
http://youtu.be/BpFZHzaQb_Y?t=47s

kahless
07-26-2013, 03:40 PM
If the talking point being pushed that made it into the mainstream was about the history of the government getting involved marriage licensing in the US, the gays would not be asking for government recognition of marriage. The entire debate would change to abolishing marriage licensing and tax policy related to marriage.

phill4paul
07-26-2013, 03:47 PM
If the talking point being pushed that made it into the mainstream was about the history of the government getting involved marriage licensing in the US, the gays would not be asking for government recognition of marriage. The entire debate would change to abolishing marriage licensing and tax policy related to marriage.

This is true. Unfortunately, this is not the way the propagandists are presenting the debate. Even if it were there are plenty of the kind of "we got ours because God said so ,but we don't want you to have what we have, because you are immoral, Satan worshipping, pedophiles" Xtians.

Christian Liberty
07-26-2013, 04:29 PM
This is true. Unfortunately, this is not the way the propagandists are presenting the debate. Even if it were there are plenty of the kind of "we got ours because God said so ,but we don't want you to have what we have, because you are immoral, Satan worshipping, pedophiles" Xtians.

Just so you know... The average Evangelical who opposes gay marriage doesn't do so in such a hostile manner.

Some do, of course, but not all of them.

What the lesser of two evils is while government is illegitimately involved in marriage is something I feel libertarians in good standing can disagree on.

phill4paul
07-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Just so you know... The average Evangelical who opposes gay marriage doesn't do so in such a hostile manner.

Some do, of course, but not all of them.

What the lesser of two evils is while government is illegitimately involved in marriage is something I feel libertarians in good standing can disagree on.

Yes. There are the vehement ones. But can you honestly tell me that the majority would rather have government totally out of marriage? That keeping the gheys from getting the same benefits does not strengthen and give credence to their worldview that gheys are immoral and do not deserve the same benefits that they receive? I'm not buying it.

V4Vendetta
07-26-2013, 04:52 PM
Lol i liked the interview

Christian Liberty
07-26-2013, 04:56 PM
Yes. There are the vehement ones. But can you honestly tell me that the majority would rather have government totally out of marriage? That keeping the gheys from getting the same benefits does not strengthen and give credence to their worldview that gheys are immoral and do not deserve the same benefits that they receive? I'm not buying it.

No, they want marriage to be between man and a woman (For the record I support getting government out of marriage, I'm talking about most Evangelicals I've had contact with, not me) but that doesn't mean they hate gays. They want some level of government involvement in morality but they don't necessarily "Hate" gays.

For an example, my mother is totally against gay marriage and gay adoption (I am too, but not in the state-based manner that she is) but she doesn't believe homosexuals are pedophiles.

Granted, I have met some people who do go to the extreme that you describe, primarily on theology forums on the internet. But most Evangelicals don't go as far as you say. You're exaggerating a little for most of them.

phill4paul
07-26-2013, 05:01 PM
No, they want marriage to be between man and a woman (For the record I support getting government out of marriage, I'm talking about most Evangelicals I've had contact with, not me) but that doesn't mean they hate gays. They want some level of government involvement in morality but they don't necessarily "Hate" gays.

For an example, my mother is totally against gay marriage and gay adoption (I am too, but not in the state-based manner that she is) but she doesn't believe homosexuals are pedophiles.

Granted, I have met some people who do go to the extreme that you describe, primarily on theology forums on the internet. But most Evangelicals don't go as far as you say. You're exaggerating a little for most of them.

So you are saying that they want marriage (defined) to be between man and a woman? They want some level of government involved in morality?

That's kind of the point I was making. No?

As I said, it reinforces and leads credence to their worldview by denying to others the same benefits they receive.

07-26-2013, 05:04 PM
I have to wonder if it will hurt his bottom line in the "red-neck" market though.

Nope, the self proclaimed rednecks don't really care what anyone else does and want to be left alone, they aren't socons.

Christian Liberty
07-26-2013, 05:05 PM
So you are saying that they want marriage (defined) to be between man and a woman? They want some level of government involved in morality?

That's kind of the point I was making. No?

As I said, it reinforces and leads credence to their worldview by denying to others the same benefits they receive.

There is nuance between "Government should define marriage as being between a man and a woman" and "Those gays are all pedophiles, I want them to be hanged and then to burn in Hell."

Most Evangelicals do not think in the latter manner, yet you acted like they did.

phill4paul
07-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Nope, the self proclaimed rednecks don't really care what anyone else does and want to be left alone, they aren't socons.

Well, maybe the "rednecks" in Maine. Lol. In the south it is a different story. Which is Larry's schtick. But, no I don't think it will hurt him either.

Christian Liberty
07-26-2013, 05:12 PM
Guess what? I still have at least a hundred issues that are higher priority for me than this one:p

Anti Federalist
07-26-2013, 05:14 PM
And I'll just leave this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPjhakaK-yI

phill4paul
07-26-2013, 05:17 PM
There is nuance between "Government should define marriage as being between a man and a woman" and "Those gays are all pedophiles, I want them to be hanged and then to burn in Hell."

Most Evangelicals do not think in the latter manner, yet you acted like they did.

Immoral. Do most think that they are immoral? Yes? Correct? Do most think they are Satan worshippers? No. I'm sure they don't but most would consider them not "Godly" in their actions. Do most think they are pedophiles? I think that yes, they do. They might couch their fears by saying that gays shouldn't be allowed to adopt because the children would not experience a proper man/woman family. But, deep down, the fear is their.

phill4paul
07-26-2013, 05:18 PM
Guess what? I still have at least a hundred issues that are higher priority for me than this one:p

Oh, me too. But, to many gheys and Xtians, it is a lot higher in their rankings than the two of us.

Christian Liberty
07-26-2013, 05:34 PM
Immoral. Do most think that they are immoral? Yes? Correct? Do most think they are Satan worshippers? No. I'm sure they don't but most would consider them not "Godly" in their actions. Do most think they are pedophiles? I think that yes, they do. They might couch their fears by saying that gays shouldn't be allowed to adopt because the children would not experience a proper man/woman family. But, deep down, the fear is their.

I don't support a ban on gays being allowed to adopt: I think that would be silly and would be an absolutely stupid way of reducing abortion (By far the more important of the two lynchpin social conservative issues to me). That said, I'm not a fan of it either. It normalizes homosexuality and it normalizes the idea that a family with a man and a woman is not necessarily the ideal. I absolutely support the right of private adoption agencies to exercise discretion in this area. If a Catholic adoption agency doesn't want to give custody to gays, they have a right to do that.

Oh, me too. But, to many gheys and Xtians, it is a lot higher in their rankings than the two of us.

Absolutely correct. BOTH sides emphasize the issue.

Would you believe I'm the son of a Baptist pastor? I do easily fit into the "Christian fundamentalist" category. Just not politically speaking:p

Christian Liberty
07-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Regarding pedophilia, I don't know if most think that, but some do I'm sure.

Satan Worshippers, that one I've never heard.

As for homosexuality being immoral, I agree with the Evangelicals there, I'm afraid;)

Brett85
07-26-2013, 05:46 PM
I guess this is kind of how John Bolton describes himself as a libertarian since he's in favor of gay marriage.

Brett85
07-26-2013, 05:55 PM
List of Republican political figures who support gay marriage:

Dick Cheney, Liz Cheney, Jennifer Rubin, John Bolton, Rudy Guliani, Megan McCain, Laura Bush, Steve Schmidt, etc.

Quite a list of defenders of liberty. :rolleyes:

Snew
07-26-2013, 06:00 PM

Dick Cheney, Liz Cheney, Jennifer Rubin, John Bolton, Rudy Guliani, Megan McCain, Laura Bush, Steve Schmidt, etc.

They're coming around, I tell ya! ;)

AFPVet
07-26-2013, 06:07 PM
Right or wrong, liberty is about doing what you wish with your life so long as you aren't inhibiting someone else's ability to do so. Do some things offend the beliefs of others? Absolutely. Should we force our beliefs on others? Absolutely not!

Larry is right on the money.

Christian Liberty
07-26-2013, 06:22 PM

Wait, you mean those guys aren't libertarians?

Stop crushing my dreams, TC:p

Brett85
07-26-2013, 07:04 PM
Right or wrong, liberty is about doing what you wish with your life so long as you aren't inhibiting someone else's ability to do so. Do some things offend the beliefs of others? Absolutely. Should we force our beliefs on others? Absolutely not!

Larry is right on the money.

Right, we need to add a subforum for John Bolton and Dick Cheney!

NIU Students for Liberty
07-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Right, we need to add a subforum for John Bolton and Dick Cheney!

But you're ignoring Larry's rationale behind his statement. Granted I don't know where he stands on foreign policy but at least he SOUNDS libertarian when it comes to not wanting to interfere in peoples' personal lives, unlike Bolton and Cheney.

Brett85
07-26-2013, 07:21 PM
But you're ignoring Larry's rationale behind his statement. Granted I don't know where he stands on foreign policy but at least he SOUNDS libertarian when it comes to not wanting to interfere in peoples' personal lives, unlike figures like Bolton and Cheney.

What does an issue like gay marriage have to do with interfering in people's personal lives? There has never been a time in our country's history where there have been criminal penalties for gay marriage, and that's true today as well.

NIU Students for Liberty
07-26-2013, 07:25 PM
What does an issue like gay marriage have to do with interfering in people's personal lives?

The fact that you have social conservatives who want the government to legally prohibit gays from marrying each other.

Christian Liberty
07-26-2013, 07:27 PM
What does an issue like gay marriage have to do with interfering in people's personal lives? There has never been a time in our country's history where there have been criminal penalties for gay marriage, and that's true today as well.

Well, there were penalties for sodomy back in the day...

Not anymore, but there was a time when that was the case.

Its common for libertarians that don't really have a solid grasp on the philosophy to think that this is a libertarian issue. Heck, some people here disagree with me and believe that its a liberty issue.

I still want to know why we bother discussing it. I mean, who cares? It just makes us look stupid: as Phil4Paul pointed out, there are a ton of evangelicals and gays who care a lot about this issue. But libertarians know that there are more important issues at stake. Like, basically every single issue mentioned in your sig.

Brett85
07-26-2013, 07:43 PM
The fact that you have social conservatives who want the government to legally prohibit gays from marrying each other.

How are gays legally prohibited from marrying each other? Can you point to a state law that contains criminal penalties for gay couples who have their own private marriage ceremony?

Christian Liberty
07-26-2013, 07:49 PM
How are gays legally prohibited from marrying each other? Can you point to a state law that contains criminal penalties for gay couples who have their own private marriage ceremony?

+rep.

You must spread some reputatiion around...blah blah blah... I guess I owe you one:p

phill4paul
07-26-2013, 08:05 PM
+rep.

You must spread some reputatiion around...blah blah blah... I guess I owe you one:p

Honestly? When churches stop putting up signs saying " Vote YES to uphold traditional marriage" and instead start putting up signs that read " Vote YES to getting government out of marriage" I'll start believing the Xtians tripe. Put up or shut up.