PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons of legal notices on your front porch/door/car ??

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
07-26-2013, 01:24 PM
Pros and Cons of legal notices on your front porch/door/car ??

This question was inspired by Deborah's post in the image thread...

http://i40.tinypic.com/2u906ps.jpg

I've done similar things before, but it was printed text, inside the window, that could only be read by someone at the door. In my case, it was directed at people banks hire to break into properties. The property was occupied by the owner (me), and I felt they should know they were breaking into an occupied property, along with relevant law. I purposely did not try to explain the dangers of that sort of thing... only the relevant law involved. I'm pointing that out to say it wasn't a "protected by smith and wesson" sort of sign.

Anyway, what are opinions on this? I'd expect a doormat like Deborah posted would make cops more trigger happy.

A similar question... what about things like police roadblocks? Why not slide a card out the window asserting your rights, instead talking to them? They do whatever they can to use peoples' statements against them, and writing things are typically preferred to saying things in legal environments, so why not written notice instead of talking at traffic stops?

With the mantra being "don't talk to police," why not hand them a business card sized legal notice?

TonySutton
07-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Speaking of roadblocks, has anyone ever heard of a person calling 911 when stopped by a road block and talking to 911 vs the officers outside the car.

phill4paul
07-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Knew a lawyer that used to give these out ( with the exception of the "common ways" addition )....

http://totalfratmove.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/5ae0c1c8a5260bc7b6648f6fbd115c351275963118-500x669.jpg

aGameOfThrones
07-26-2013, 01:38 PM
A similar question... what about things like police roadblocks? Why not slide a card out the window asserting your rights, instead talking to them? They do whatever they can to use peoples' statements against them, and writing things are typically preferred to saying things in legal environments, so why not written notice instead of talking at traffic stops?

With the mantra being "don't talk to police," why not hand them a business card sized legal notice?

There is a video on YouTube doing that exact same thing, I'll post it later when I look for it.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
07-26-2013, 01:57 PM
Knew a lawyer that used to give these out ( with the exception of the "common ways" addition )....

http://totalfratmove.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/5ae0c1c8a5260bc7b6648f6fbd115c351275963118-500x669.jpg

I like that, but I'd prefer not to hand a cop a beer coolie at a dui roadblock. lol. And while the bottom portion might be good advice, I'd rather not give that to police. I'd rather be strictly business.

Also, while I tried to figure out what that was, I thought it was a whoopie cushion. That would be a more appropriate delivery system.

There is a video on YouTube doing that exact same thing, I'll post it later when I look for it.

I'm definitely interested, especially if they go over relevant legal issues and exact text. I'm interested however it might fall short as well. I'm smart enough to know I don't come up with many truly original ideas.

pcosmar
07-26-2013, 02:24 PM
Anyway, what are opinions on this? I'd expect a doormat like Deborah posted would make cops more trigger happy.

Not sure it's possible.

phill4paul
07-26-2013, 02:33 PM
I like that, but I'd prefer not to hand a cop a beer coolie at a dui roadblock. lol. And while the bottom portion might be good advice, I'd rather not give that to police. I'd rather be strictly business.

Also, while I tried to figure out what that was, I thought it was a whoopie cushion. That would be a more appropriate delivery system.

Lol. Well, I thought maybe you could use the wordage. I used to have a business card that said pretty much the same thing. Darned if I know where it got off to though.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
07-26-2013, 02:48 PM
Not sure it's possible.

Joking aside... If I'm going to be involved in a "contempt of cop" type issue, I'd rather be awake and present.

To some extent, that is exactly what I'm seeking opinions about. Is there an advantage to being "contempt of cop" before you know it? Of course not. In the instance of a doormat or door notice, you're giving them an information advantage. Are there any legal advantages?

phill4paul
07-26-2013, 02:51 PM
Joking aside... If I'm going to be involved in a "contempt of cop" type issue, I'd rather be awake and present.

To some extent, that is exactly what I'm seeking opinions about. Is there an advantage to being "contempt of cop" before you know it? Of course not. In the instance of a doormat or door notice, you're giving them an information advantage. Are there any legal advantages?

If you have a card with the name of the best defense attorney in the county it goes a long way. I've seen troops actually take a step back and change demeanor 180 at the mention of one.

pcosmar
07-26-2013, 02:53 PM

I was considering such at my gate at the end of the road.. Along with some silhouettes appropriately used.
Next to very clear No Trespassing signs.