PDA

View Full Version : Gohmert on Bachmann: "friends can disagree"

compromise
07-25-2013, 03:30 PM
http://www.glennbeck.com/2013/07/25/gohmert-on-bachmann-%E2%80%98friends-can-disagree%E2%80%99/

Glenn spoke with Rep Louis Gohmert on radio today about the Amash amendment and why many Republicans including Bachmann voted against it. How does Gohmert explain so many of his colleagues siding with the NSA? Gohmert explains in the clip above.

Transcript of interview is below:

GLENN: Let’s go to Louie Gohmert who is ‑‑ I would imagine, Louie, that you are as disappointed as I am to see the House reject the amendment to defund the NSA last night. Michele Bachmann surprised the heck out of me by giving a impassioned speech on the floor saying, “Well, you know, they are not actually saving any of your records. They are not saving any of your phone calls or your e‑mails.” That’s an out‑and‑out lie, is it not, Louie?

GOHMERT: Well, my understanding ‑‑ you know, Michele is a very dear friend of mine.

GLENN: Mine too.

GOHMERT: And I was hearing you earlier this morning. You were talking very glowingly and appropriately about Michele, but friends can disagree. And they are retaining the metadata, which is just a list of every phone number that everyone calls in the United States, calling inside or outside the United States. And when I say the leaked document from the FISA court where a judge would actually order that every single call made to every person, every phone outside the U.S. and inside the U.S., Glenn, you know, I’ve been a judge. I’ve been a chief justice. I couldn’t believe that a judge would sign an order like that because there’s this little problem with the Constitution. You have to specifically name a place, a person, what exactly is to be seized. And for a judge to just sign a sweeping order that says “Get everything from everybody.” And we had a hearing last week and we had some people from the government there and I asked the question, you know, because they have the defense, “Look, it’s just data. We don’t know whose phone number is whose. And all ‑‑ we run these algorithms and look for patterns.” Glenn, when they have every phone number and every phone number that’s calls, I asked these guys, “Well, isn’t it true that the other government, whether it’s CIA, you have the right and the ability to use sources that the public can use to gather information? There’s nothing wrong with you doing that, right?” “Yes.” “That means you can go to the white pages for phone numbers, who has what phone number, and you can also do what anybody can do. You can go online, pay a fee and find out everybody’s cell number if you want to. I mean, that data is available.” And they said, “Well, you know, I guess we could.” Yes, Glenn, they can get everybody’s phone number. They can know who did what. And so if your government ‑‑ let’s just say there was somebody that was a little paranoid and wanted to look at what they could do. Say they wanted to make a case against you after the fact of things that are completely untrue. Well, they can go back and say, “Well, you talked to this person and this.” Yeah, but it had nothing to do with that. They can make a case against you. I mean, it becomes so much like a Kafka novel where you can’t really fight this big spider that’s just ‑‑ or octopus that’s just taken over everything.

GLENN: So here are the names of some of the people that we respect, that voted on the, I think the wrong side. Michele Bachmann is one of them. Here are some of the others.

STU: Yeah, Darrell Issa.

GLENN: These are all good people.

STU: Yeah. Culberson was another one we were talking about earlier today. Paul Ryan was on the wrong side of this one, I think. Steve King on the wrong side of it.

GLENN: So how did that happen, Louie? What are they saying behind the scenes? What was their reasoning?

GOHMERT: Well, they are saying ‑‑ when you talk about people like Michele and Steve ‑‑ they are two of my best friends ‑‑ they will tell you behind the scenes what they say in front, that they were concerned that ‑‑ and I didn’t realize ‑‑ actually I didn’t realize Steve had voted against the Amash amendment.

GLENN: Yeah.

GOHMERT: But it is this fear that has been put in place, “Gee, we’re finding out who terrorists are by this information.” But Glenn, I have to go back to our debate over the law. I wasn’t there when the PATRIOT Act passed and I wasn’t there when FISA courts were created. They’ve been around for a long time. But I was there for the renewal, the extension. And I battled tooth and nail with my own Republican chairman who had put ‑‑ he had actually put Sunsets in the original PATRIOT Act so that, you know, we’d always have leverage to get information about what they were doing. And even under the Bush administration, getting information from the justice department was really tough. And that’s how I ended up being able to convince a majority of the Republicans to put Sunsets on something in the PATRIOT Act extension because the chairman had bought into the Bush administration position that we don’t need Sunsets anymore. And so we debated this and we got into the business about what is the purpose of having ‑‑ of their ability to surveil telephone calls and who you’re calling, whether it’s actually getting content or whether it’s actually just getting what they call the metadata, the logs of who you called. And what we were told and the testimony all was to the effect that the only people who would have their phone information pulled were those who either made a call to a known foreign terrorist or somebody who’s affiliated with a known terrorist group, or they got a call from one of those people. In fact, Glenn, I made the statement at one of our debates that, look, to my friends across the aisle that are so worried about the administration, you know, getting your phone records, under the bill it’s very clear: If you don’t want your phone records to be pulled, that data as to who you’re calling, then when you call your foreign terrorist friends, use somebody else’s phone. I thought that was pretty funny, cute, and a lot of people laughed.

GLENN: But they lied to you, did they not, Louie?

GOHMERT: Well, it turned out, no, you don’t have a to call a foreign terrorist.

GLENN: Right.

GOHMERT: They are getting your phone information. And another thing that has really bothered me ‑‑

GLENN: Hang on just a second. Hold on. Hold on just a second. I want everybody coast to coast that is listening to understand that this man has so much credibility, that Louie Gohmert, a congressman who believes in many of the same things I do just went on national airwaves and said, “Look, the Bush administration lied to me. I was making the wrong case. I was told one thing and they lied to me about it, and the left was right about it and I was wrong.” That’s significant.

GOHMERT: Well, they weren’t right about it, but the Bush administration was actually arguing that they would not do anything more than what the law provided and you had to have that Nexus with a foreign terrorist or someone associated ‑‑

GLENN: That’s not true.

GOHMERT: ‑‑ with a terrorist group. And so I don’t know, I haven’t seen information, I don’t know if the Bush administration, their NSA was gathering every single person’s phone information, but ‑‑

GLENN: But it doesn’t matter. I’m in a moment blaming it ‑‑

GOHMERT: ‑‑ what some of us talked about back in those debates was, gee, I remember them saying we do not have the capability to gather every single person’s phone calls to everybody they call.

GLENN: And they do.

GOHMERT: But even if we did, they wouldn’t do it. And this law does not authorize us to do that. And so you got Republicans to vote for it. I was just talking to John Conyers here on the floor. I’m in our cloakroom just off the House floor and we just finished voting and, you know, I was ‑‑ I gave you and Nadler and you guys so much grief over your positions and, son of a gun, you were right, except your administration that’s pulling off this information that you thought the Bush administration would be doing.

GLENN: I don’t think ‑‑ you know what, I don’t ‑‑

PAT: Amazing.

GOHMERT: Something else, too, Glenn: I’ve come up with some Democrats over the last two days who voted against the Amash amendment who I was surprised voted against it because they were against giving the NSA any of this kind of power to start with. And they said, well, look ‑‑ one of them said, “Louie, let me just show you what we got from our leadership in the Democratic Party and that’s why I voted no on the Amash amendment. It says right here very clearly the law does not allow us currently to gather anybody’s phone information unless they have talked to some foreign terrorist or some member of a foreign terrorist group.”

GLENN: So Louie ‑‑

GOHMERT: And I said, well, that is true, that is what the law says, but they are not following the law.

GLENN: Can I ask you a question? What ‑‑

GOHMERT: And so that’s why some of the left who argued against, that said this kind of thing might happen voted against the Amash amendment. They were given the wrong information.

GLENN: So tell me this, Louie: Then why is it, what are they storing in the Utah data storage facility? What is it they are storing? Are they crisping lettuce in that?

GOHMERT: I don’t know.

GLENN: I mean ‑‑

GOHMERT: It’s huge, isn’t it?

GLENN: It’s ‑‑

GOHMERT: And I don’t know, and probably if I did, it would be classified, but I really don’t know it all, but I know apparently they are going to be gathering ‑‑

GLENN: Yes.

GOHMERT: ‑‑ every phone call that everyone has made.

GLENN: Exactly right.

GOHMERT: The logs for those things, and that is dangerous. But let me point out something else, Glenn and, you know, we talked about our open borders. And I’m telling you, for the amount of liberty we have to give up to have security is in direct proportion to how open our borders are. The more open our borders are, then the more we have to give up liberty to have security. And as you quoted Franklin, you know. He said those that give up safety for liberty don’t deserve either one. That’s ‑‑

GLENN: But I mean ‑‑

GOHMERT: That’s where we are. We need to secure our border. We need to kick out people that overstay visas. And I still contend we should do nothing on immigration except pass a resolution. Mr. President, you secure the border as confirmed by the border states and then we’ll take up a comprehensive bill, but not until then.

Now, back to Benghazi, back to the NSA spying, back to a total throw‑out of the Internal Revenue Code and revamping that system. Back to the things that are 60 to 70% popular with the American people.

GLENN: All right, Louis ‑‑ Louie Gohmert from Texas, congressman, I appreciate it and thank you so much. I’m running a little bit late but God bless you, man, and keep up the fight.

AuH20
07-25-2013, 03:32 PM
Great interview. Beck wouldn't let Gohmert go. I like Gohmert but he's being misled.

Spoa
07-25-2013, 04:07 PM
I think you can be friends with people you disagree with. I have a lot of friends I disagree with, so I'm fine as long as he understands he needs to continue to use his head and fight for liberty.

He's done a very good job: Voting against CISPA, for this amendment, etc.

LibertyEagle
07-25-2013, 04:22 PM
I don't know if you can be friends with someone you disagree with on such a fundamental principle as that though. I couldn't, but maybe they are better people than I am.

eduardo89
07-25-2013, 04:26 PM
The more I found out about Gohmert the more I like him:

Voted NO on $192B additional anti-recession stimulus spending. (Jul 2009)
Voted NO on additional $825 billion for economic recovery package. (Jan 2009)
Voted NO on monitoring TARP funds to ensure more mortgage relief. (Jan 2009)
Voted NO on $15B bailout for GM and Chrysler. (Dec 2008)
Voted NO on $60B stimulus package for jobs, infrastructure, & energy. (Sep 2008)
Voted NO on defining "energy emergency" on federal gas prices. (Jun 2008)
Voted NO on revitalizing severely distressed public housing. (Jan 2008)
Voted NO on regulating the subprime mortgage industry. (Nov 2007)Voted NO on enforcing limits on CO2 global warming pollution. (Jun 2009)
Voted NO on tax credits for renewable electricity, with PAYGO offsets. (Sep 2008)
Voted NO on tax incentives for energy production and conservation. (May 2008)
Voted NO on tax incentives for renewable energy. (Feb 2008)
Voted NO on investing in homegrown biofuel. (Aug 2007)
Voted NO on supporting democratic institutions in Pakistan. (Jun 2009)
Voted NO on assisting workers who lose jobs due to globalization. (Oct 2007)
Voted NO on Senate pay raise. (Jun 2009)
Voted NO on restricting independent grassroots political committees. (Apr 2006)
Voted NO on regulating tobacco as a drug. (Apr 2009)
Voted NO on expanding the Children's Health Insurance Program. (Jan 2009)
Voted NO on adding 2 to 4 million children to SCHIP eligibility. (Oct 2007)
Voted NO on $40B for green public schools. (May 2009)
Voted NO on additional $10.2B for federal education & HHS projects. (Nov 2007)
Voted NO on extending unemployment benefits from 39 weeks to 59 weeks. (Oct 2008)
Voted NO on increasing minimum wage to $7.25. (Jan 2007)
Voted NO on $23B instead of $4.9B for waterway infrastructure. (Nov 2007)
Voted NO on establishing "network neutrality" (non-tiered Internet). (Jun 2006)
Voted NO on instituting National Service as a new social invention. (Mar 2009)
Voted NO on providing $70 million for Section 8 Housing vouchers. (Jun 2006)
Voted YES on banning armed forces in Libya without Congressional approval. (Jun 2011)

He is shit on national security/war, though

Voted YES on extending the PATRIOT Act's roving wiretaps. (Feb 2011)
Voted NO on requiring FISA warrants for wiretaps in US, but not abroad. (Mar 2008)
Voted NO on Veto override: Congressional oversight of CIA interrogations. (Mar 2008)
Voted YES on removing need for FISA warrant for wiretapping abroad. (Aug 2007)
Voted YES on restricting no-bid defense contracts. (Mar 2007)
Voted YES on allowing electronic surveillance without a warrant. (Sep 2006)
Voted YES on continuing intelligence gathering without civil oversight. (Apr 2006)
Voted YES on federalizing rules for driver licenses to hinder terrorists. (Feb 2005)
Voted NO on removing US armed forces from Afghanistan. (Mar 2011)
Voted NO on investigating Bush impeachment for lying about Iraq. (Jun 2008)
Voted NO on redeploying US troops out of Iraq starting in 90 days. (May 2007)
Voted YES on declaring Iraq part of War on Terror with no exit date. (Jun 2006)

compromise
07-25-2013, 05:21 PM

Look at those dates, all fairly old.

This year he's been excellent on civil liberties. CISPA, NDAA, pretty much everything.

He's also developed a close personal friendship with Rand.

eduardo89
07-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Look at those dates, all fairly old.

This year he's been excellent on civil liberties. CISPA, NDAA, pretty much everything.

He's also developed a close personal friendship with Rand.

He has gotten better. I remember him and Tom Cotton on a panel at CPAC and he really surprised me (and Cotton disgusted me)

Christian Liberty
07-26-2013, 11:26 AM
I can be friends with people who disagree with me, heck I do it all the time.

In the political world, on the other hand, you shouldn't. Unless you can keep the friendship entirely separate from politics.

cajuncocoa
07-26-2013, 12:49 PM
If I couldn't be friends with people who disagree with me, it would be almost impossible to have any friends. There just aren't that many people who are willing to accept liberty on the same level that most of us do just yet.

seraphson
07-26-2013, 01:00 PM

Is there something like this for Ron Paul?

cajuncocoa
07-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Is there something like this for Ron Paul?

http://www.ontheissues.org/ron_paul.htm

Christian Liberty
07-26-2013, 01:14 PM
If I couldn't be friends with people who disagree with me, it would be almost impossible to have any friends. There just aren't that many people who are willing to accept liberty on the same level that most of us do just yet.

At a personal level, absolutely.

Politically, it becomes trickier.

Cowlesy
07-26-2013, 01:36 PM
If you are ever in DC, go talk to Gohmert. One of the plain nicest dudes in Congress, and portrayed as a psycho-satan in the media.

AuH20
07-26-2013, 01:38 PM
If you are ever in DC, go talk to Gohmert. One of the plain nicest dudes in Congress, and portrayed as a psycho-satan in the media.

And he's always afforded Ron Paul the necessary respect, despite not agreeing with him all the time.

Brian4Liberty
07-26-2013, 01:42 PM
Gohmert and Bachmann will be on the Hannity radio show today.

Funny how Hannity is willing to talk about this now that the vote is over.

cajuncocoa
07-26-2013, 01:43 PM
At a personal level, absolutely.

Politically, it becomes trickier.Agreed. I didn't get my reputation here for being an ideological purist for no reason!! :D

Brian4Liberty
07-26-2013, 02:07 PM
Gohmert and Bachmann will be on the Hannity radio show today.

Funny how Hannity is willing to talk about this now that the vote is over.

On now.

compromise
07-27-2013, 10:51 AM
On now.

Anyone have a tube?

Feeding the Abscess
07-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Boiling down his argument, Gohmert's saying Obama does it, therefore it is bad.

Freedom!

liberty2897
07-27-2013, 01:38 PM
http://www.allhailtheblackmarket.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Michelle-Bachmann-with-corn-dog.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVYzdcrJJ6ofANBKi3o8VOI0jzPyr9b xzu8reGDDZECHm6D0fEmw

http://wonkette.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/mccainhotdog.jpg

http://danmillerinpanama.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/obama-kisses-pelosi.jpg?w=640

ClydeCoulter
07-27-2013, 01:42 PM
Friends for dinner. "Friends" for dinner. Friends for "dinner".