PDA

View Full Version : Station that Aired Racist Names for Pilots Misusing Copyright to Censor Their Stupidity

DamianTV
07-24-2013, 01:51 PM
http://boingboing.net/2013/07/23/tv-station-that-aired-racist-j.html

KTVU, the San Francisco TV station that displayed a bunch of jokey, racist pilot names on a newscast about the Asiana crash at SFO, is now misusing copyright law to censor clips that record its mistake for posterity. They say that "everyone has seen the clips" and that it was an "accidental mistake" (as opposed to all those deliberate mistakes), and that this somehow justifies multiple acts of copyfraud against services around the Internet and their users. As always, Mike Masnick Techdirt brings the scathing critique:

First things first. If you're not taking it down for copyright reasons, then why the hell are you using the DMCA takedown system? Noah H. Webster, it's got "COPYRIGHT" right in the frickin' name! Wouldn't a polite note to the YouTube account holders stating the above accomplish the same thing (i.e., a minimal level of compliance)?

As for the arguing it should be removed because "most people have seen it," I don't even know where to go with that. Continuing to show the video isn't "offensive." Only the original act is. Pretending this has something to do with making amends for an earlier error is just kind of sad, especially when the station manager tries to drag viewers into his Shame Circle with "thoughtless repetition of the video by others."

Philhelm
07-24-2013, 03:05 PM
I didn't think the fake names were lacist.

Grubb556
07-24-2013, 03:08 PM
what were the fake names ?

HOLLYWOOD
07-24-2013, 03:13 PM
30 seconds of comedy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjUPb4J_MGo

Grubb556
07-24-2013, 03:27 PM
30 seconds of comedy...

Not sure if racist, but definitely insulting

CaptUSA
07-24-2013, 03:54 PM

ROR???

HOLLYWOOD
07-24-2013, 04:12 PM
I recognize the fake names right off the bat...

The morons at KTVU (person that collected the names, person that entered the names into the teleprompter, producers, director, and last but not least, the idiot that read them all, out loud, without hesitation, without recognizing the translation, right into the cameras.

United States of Idiocracy

presence
07-24-2013, 04:13 PM
http://awesomegifs.com/wp-content/uploads/dead-horse.gif

LibertyEagle
07-24-2013, 04:14 PM
I think it was pretty funny. But, that's just me I guess.

Anti Federalist
07-24-2013, 05:47 PM
Well, they just guaranteed that 50 go-zillion copies will now spread like wildfire.

Fucking geniuses, this crew.

Anti Federalist
07-24-2013, 05:53 PM
Ooopsie:

http://i.imgur.com/ZWgxYpr.jpg

Anti Federalist
07-24-2013, 05:54 PM

What you did there...I see it.

LibertyEagle
07-24-2013, 05:56 PM
I guess we're not politically-correct, AF. :D

phill4paul
07-24-2013, 06:00 PM
Just goes to show how MSM never cross checks against anything the alphabet agencies are spewing.

BlackTerrel
07-24-2013, 07:32 PM
I'm Ron Burgundy?

Anti Federalist
07-24-2013, 09:17 PM
Just goes to show how MSM never cross checks against anything the alphabet agencies are spewing.

This.

This is the most important thing to take away from this.

The government organs will run with anything, so long as it's "approved".

Dr.3D
07-24-2013, 09:20 PM
I'm Ron Burgundy?
A Native American I presume?

Nobexliberty
07-24-2013, 10:11 PM
The lawyer who is going to sue the company is named Wi Su Yu

Occam's Banana
07-24-2013, 10:21 PM

... that should be "fink" not "think" ... ;)

Occam's Banana
07-24-2013, 10:30 PM
I recognize the fake names right off the bat...

The morons at KTVU (person that collected the names, person that entered the names into the teleprompter, producers, director, and last but not least, the idiot that read them all, out loud, without hesitation, without recognizing the translation, right into the cameras.

United States of Idiocracy

That's just the thing, though. The people at KTVU are NOT morons.

There is no way ALL those people had problems "recognizing the translation" (as you put it).

But it had been "officially endorsed" by an "officially official" government official - so they put it out anyway, despite how stupid it sounded.

And that's an even scarier and more troublesome scenario than if they really were morons ...

Anti Federalist
07-24-2013, 10:33 PM

There is no way ALL those people had problems "recognizing the translation" (as you put it).

But it had been "officially endorsed" by an "officially official" government official - so they put it out anyway, despite how stupid it sounded.

And that's an even scarier and more troublesome scenario than if they really were morons ...

It was officially official.

Jesus, we are in trouble here...

Nobexliberty
07-24-2013, 11:13 PM

Jesus, we are in trouble here... Wi R Fuk

CPUd
07-24-2013, 11:19 PM

Their initial reaction was to explain that the names had been confirmed by NTSB. And they failed to understand why this didn't get them off the hook.

Occam's Banana
07-25-2013, 02:38 AM

Jesus, we are in trouble here...

They love 'em some officialness, they do ...

"They have erected a multitude of Official Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officials to harrass our people, and eat out their substance, and issue Fake but Offiicial 'news' fodder."

Their initial reaction was to explain that the names had been confirmed by NTSB. And they failed to understand why this didn't get them off the hook.

Exactly. Their explanation just made it worse.