PDA

View Full Version : HR 3341 - Why does Ron Paul believe this is a good idea?

mrd
11-27-2007, 02:44 PM
HR 3341: Quality Health Care Coalition Act of 2007
Introduced: Aug 2 2007
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-3341

According to http://www.williamsmullen.com/news/articles_detail/273.htm (one of the few references I could find of the bill)

[This bill] would permit health care professionals to negotiate collectively with health insurers regarding physician reimbursement rates and other contract terms without running afoul of the federal antitrust laws.

Notably, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has repeatedly testified before Congress against legislation of this sort, contending that no such exemption is warranted and that, were such legislation to be enacted, the most likely result would be simply an increase in physician charges to consumers.

So, is there a corrupt influence on the FTC, or is the FTC just wrong? Why does Dr. Paul believe otherwise? Is there some unmentioned benefit to doing this?

pdavis
11-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Did you even read the bill?

mrd
11-27-2007, 04:05 PM
Did you even read the bill?
Yes; I should have been more explicit:

The FTC says this will only increase prices. The bill states it will 'enhance the quality of patient care.' Now, better quality sounds nice, but what does that mean in practical terms?

The FTC surely isn't providing details, and there are no details in the text of this bill. Perhaps the 2002 survey cited in Section 2 Clause 1 would provide insight. I'll try to find it.

CelestialRender
11-27-2007, 07:23 PM
"this bill would permit"

All you need to know. I don't think you really have to look farther.

hypnagogue
11-27-2007, 07:44 PM
I love reading RP bills. Short, to the point. The rambling disconnected nonsense of the big bills is unbearable.

Basically he's giving doctors more say in your overall health plan as opposed to being highly leveraged by the health care planners. If doctors are complaining, I don't know, that they're being underpaid for their services then prices could rise. I don't know enough about the healthcare system to say any more than that.