PDA

View Full Version : House Passes Broun Amendment to Protect Americans from Drone Surveillance

Brian4Liberty
07-24-2013, 10:48 AM
This was off my radar. Seems like a good Amendment...

House Passes Broun Amendment to Protect Americans from Drone Surveillance

Washington, Jul 24 - U.S. Congressman Paul Broun, M.D. (GA-10) today released the following statement after the passage of his amendment to H.R. 2397, the Fiscal Year 2014 Department of Defense Appropriations Act. The Broun Amendment would prohibit the use of funds to operate drones outside of the bounds established by the Fourth Amendment.

“I am pleased that my colleagues stood with me to protect our constitutional rights,” said Rep Broun. “My amendment would put a check on drone activities funded by the Department of Defense to ensure that our military never becomes a component of the broad domestic surveillance being reported today. The practice of the federal government indiscriminately capturing and retaining our private information ‘just in case’ – and promising not to use it if they decide we aren’t criminals – has got to stop. It is absolutely critical that we fight for liberty as envisioned by our Founders, and reject any efforts which infringe upon our constitutional right to privacy.”

http://broun.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=343726

surf
07-24-2013, 10:57 AM
totally off my radar. good for us.

nice find Brian.

HOLLYWOOD
07-24-2013, 12:31 PM
Wish he would of replaced 'Department of Defense' with 'All Federal Government Agencies, including the entire Executive Branch'

eduardo89
07-24-2013, 12:34 PM
The Broun Amendment would prohibit the use of funds to operate drones outside of the bounds established by the Fourth Amendment.

Doesn't mean much. The courts interpret the bounds of the 4th amendment and they have not been eager to uphold any resemblance of original intent.