PDA

View Full Version : Firefighters break into home not on fire, find pot plants, call police

Root
07-24-2013, 04:10 AM
http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2013/07/massive_elizabeth_indoor_pot_growing_operation_is_ taken_down.html

ELIZABETH (http://nj.com/elizabeth) — From the start, it wasn’t a usual call for the city's fire department.Responding to reports of a massive water leak at a home in a residential neighborhood just off Routes 1 & 9 Monday afternoon, firefighters were kept from entering the two-story house by bars attached over each window and door, police said.

With water pouring out all four sides of the Henry Street house, a firefighter climbed a ladder to a second-floor window with an air conditioner protruding from it. When he slid the contraption’s accordion cover from the window frame, the massive and sophisticated growing operation came into full view, Sgt. John Maloney said.

“He could see a whole load of marijuana plants growing under heat lamps,” he said.
Police were then notified, a search warrant was obtained and water and power were cut off from the apparently unoccupied home, Maloney said.

Narcotics officers responding then found hundreds of marijuana plants thriving under grow lights set up throughout the house, he said.

“They secured lots and lots of plants,” he said. “They were using pick up trucks to take them away.”
The plants were taken to police headquarters from where they were carted away, Maloney said.
No arrests have been made, and narcotics detectives are investigating, he said.

So let me get this straight, firemen employed by the government can enter a home not on fire and then report their findings back to the government. I know, I know... comply mundane.. I get it. Smh

LibertyEagle
07-24-2013, 05:42 AM
Did you miss the massive water leak part? I would've thought someone from the water department would have shut off the water, but somebody was going to do something.

tod evans
07-24-2013, 05:44 AM
Water shut-offs are out by the street, not inside an upstairs room behind an air conditioner..

I'm thinking there's a rat involved....

LibertyEagle
07-24-2013, 05:45 AM
Water shut-offs are out by the street, not inside an upstairs room behind an air conditioner..

I'm thinking there's a rat involved....

Good point; I would've thought they would have done that too. But, if there was a rat, I think the police would have just gone and flash-banged the place. I mean lately, they don't seem to care about details like warrants or anything, so why would they even mess with a middleman like the fire department?

tod evans
07-24-2013, 06:19 AM
Good point; I would've thought they would have done that too. But, if there was a rat, I think the police would have just gone and flash-banged the place. I mean lately, they don't seem to care about details like warrants or anything, so why would they even mess with a middleman like the fire department?

Maybe, by some slim chance, there was an ethical judge who refused to sign a murder contract---er, search warrant?

Anti Federalist
07-24-2013, 07:18 AM

As jaundiced an eye I have toward cops, I think this is correct.

A water main broke, somebody called the fire dept. and they responded to the unlucky grow operator's location.

LE's right, had it been a rat, SWAT would have rolled and blown the place up.

angelatc
07-24-2013, 10:11 AM

They can get a warrant on based on anonymous informants.

JK/SEA
07-24-2013, 11:19 AM
we don't have this problem in Washington State.

Cops turn a blind eye now. Of course if the FEDS find an outdoor grow of thousands of plants you might have a problem...otherwise....roll another one.

dannno
07-24-2013, 11:24 AM

Cops turn a blind eye now. Of course if the FEDS find an outdoor grow of thousands of plants you might have a problem...otherwise....roll another one.

Hopefully it continues that way with the local authorities.

JK/SEA
07-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Hopefully it continues that way with the local authorities.

no going back now. The genie is out of the bottle...

Root
07-24-2013, 11:52 AM

How soon before local firefighters start calling the Feds? Either way, I'm jealous.

chudrockz
07-24-2013, 11:55 AM
What a waste of good pot.

JK/SEA
07-24-2013, 11:59 AM

no worries. This stuff grows like a weed....lol...

Root
07-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Yeah, that's shameful. The only medical cannabis distributor the State has allowed to operate can't keep up with demand. They had to close their doors a few weeks ago while they waited for the next harvest to finish.