PDA

View Full Version : Who should have jurisdiction over domestic suspected war criminals?

enhanced_deficit
07-23-2013, 10:39 PM
Who should have jurisdiction over domestic suspected war criminals in your informed opinion?

Christian Liberty
07-23-2013, 10:48 PM
I'll take what I can get in this screwed up world, but ultimately, nobody.

In Nazi Germany, absolutely anyone who killed Adolf Hitler would have been justified. Hitler would have gotten a trial if he were taken alive, but there would have been no trial necessary for an assassin of Hitler to be a hero.

If offenses reach that kind of a level... you can fill in the blanks.

I don't oppose the ICC prosecuting these people, because I don't oppose ANYONE doing it.

Not condoning it either, mind you, just a massive shrug of the shoulders and "good riddance" on my lips.

enhanced_deficit
07-23-2013, 10:51 PM
I guess I didn't do good job at pointing out what I meant.

When I said suspected domestic war criminals, I meant suspects like Bush, Obama, McCain etc and their domestic pup masters.

eduardo89
07-23-2013, 11:05 PM
Hitler would have gotten a trial if he were taken alive

Presided over by Stalin, a man responsible for tens of millions more deaths than Hitler.

Peace&Freedom
07-23-2013, 11:59 PM
If we're going to be constitutionally consistent, criminals like Bush, Obama, McCain etc can't be domestically prosecuted for war crimes, since no recent war was ever constitutionally declared, to create the legal context for doing so. They should be impeached for multiple violations of the constitution, yes, but not for war. If tried internationally, violations of the Geneva provisions do apply.

aGameOfThrones
07-24-2013, 12:07 AM
Top... Men!

eduardo89
07-24-2013, 12:27 AM
If we're going to be constitutionally consistent, criminals like Bush, Obama, McCain etc can't be domestically prosecuted for war crimes, since no recent war was ever constitutionally declared, to create the legal context for doing so. They should be impeached for multiple violations of the constitution, yes, but not for war. If tried internationally, violations of the Geneva provisions do apply.

Wouldn't the fact that they wages war without a declaration of war be the main charge?

BuddyRey
07-24-2013, 05:44 AM
War is too important to be left to the generals, and trying war criminals is too important to be left to other war criminals.

I say they be tried in civilian courtrooms with civilian judges and juries on charges of usurping and misrepresenting the will of their constituencies. Let the public hold the bastards truly accountable.

Cap
07-24-2013, 05:53 AM
Contracting a hit on somebody is in fact murder. Is not undeclared wars the same thing?

tod evans
07-24-2013, 06:17 AM
Which wars?

The criminals comprise the "Just-Us" department in its entirety.

Are the "wars" waged overseas any more vile than those waged at home?

Cap
07-24-2013, 06:24 AM
Which wars?

The criminals comprise the "Just-Us" department in its entirety.

Are the "wars" waged overseas any more vile than those waged at home?Very good point. I couldn't agree more.

ETA: In fact that should be the new narrative.

limequat
07-24-2013, 07:09 AM
I wish I could vote "Everyone".

Bush, Cheney, et all are not suspected war criminals. They are ADMITTED war criminals. The US has signed international treaties that condemn torture. The constitution enumerates treaty-signing as an official function of the executive branch, and they become the Supreme Law of the Land.

Christian Liberty
07-24-2013, 07:12 AM
I guess I didn't do good job at pointing out what I meant.

When I said suspected domestic war criminals, I meant suspects like Bush, Obama, McCain etc and their domestic pup masters.

No, I knew exactly what you meant. I basically did what Walter Block did in his article about Nuremberg Trials where he talks about the governments of Cuba, North Korea, exc.

http://www.walterblock.com/wp-content/uploads/publications/block_radical-libertarianism-rp.pdf

Do you think he did that because he really believes that only the governments of Cuba, North Korea, and the USSR are so evil as to warrant Nuremberg Trials? I don't think so...

Presided over by Stalin, a man responsible for tens of millions more deaths than Hitler.

True, true.

BTW: I don't believe America should have gotten into that war either.