PDA

View Full Version : "Throw Your Plate Away" Day

Anti Federalist
07-23-2013, 06:48 PM
Throw Your Plate Away Day

by eric

July 22, 2013

http://ericpetersautos.com/2013/07/22/throw-your-plate-away-day/

It’s too bad – for cows – that they don’t have opposable thumbs. If they did, they could do something about those tags that farmers put in their ears.plates lead

Luckily, we’ve got opposable thumbs – and could (in theory) do something about the tags . . . on our cars. You know, license plates. They amount to the same thing as those tags in a cow’s ears. They are a way for our farmers – the people who operate the levers of state power - to keep track of us . . . a startling thing, given all the prattle about America being a “free” country.

Free people ought to be free to come and go without being kept track of.

Prisoners (and cattle) are kept track of.

So what are we, exactly?

License plates are another (one of many) assertion by the state of ownership over us, in this case, via ownership of our vehicles. Because control of a thing – who has the legal power to determine how a given thing shall or shall not be used – is the essence of ownership. If I am in a position to tell you how you may use your car, and have the power to compel you to obey my orders, then you’re not really the owner – are you?

The state says we may only travel with its permission, which is an assertion of ownership. It does this via driver’s licenses – and by licensing “our” cars. Both types of license must be regularly renewed – in perpetuity. There is a fee involved, of course.DMV 1

Each bite (annual renewal) is small but cumulatively, it amounts to a considerable sum. Let’s say the state demands $50 annually per licensed vehicle. Over 25 years, that’s $1,250 of your money you were forced to part with in order to operate your (ahem!) vehicle.

Well, yours in name.

But that’s piddly stuff compared with the true purpose of plates – which is to keep track of your comings and goings. Why do you suppose the state is beginning to deploy scanners capable of taking an electronic snapshot of every car that passes by – recording the information and cross-referencing each plate (and vehicle owner) against a database?

This being done without warrant, without probable cause or even a whiff of specific suspicion – in keeping with the New American Idea that the presumption of innocence is old hat, an impediment to “keeping us safe.” Someone, somewhere might be up to no good. Therefore, everyone must be assumed to be up to no good – at all times. Innocence at the moment doesn’t mean you won’t be guilty of some offense later on.

Perhaps tomorrow.

By monitoring all people all the time – and keeping records of this in perpetuity – the people who run the government have a much easier time of it. And that’s what matters – to them. Not your liberty, not silly old-fashioned ideas about self-ownership and being free to come and go as you please without being watched, recorded and catalogued. Not your “safety,” either. Just their control over you. That is the only relevant consideration. You are their property. Not merely your vehicle.

You.

License plates are quite literally on the technological cusp of becoming the functional equivalent of electronic ankle bracelets worn by felons. And the purpose is exactly the same: To monitor and control. Prisoners have to accept this. They are, after all, prisoners.

But are we?

Why do most of us so blithely accept being tagged? Absent criminal wrongdoing – proved in court under the rules of evidence and beyond a reasonable doubt – why should any free man be obligated to put a number on himself – via the car he’s in, which amounts to the same thing – before he’s allowed (!) to travel? It’s an outrage, once you peel away the facile assumptions most people accept as legitimate reason for tagging allegedly “free” people.

So, what to do?

Simple. We throw our tags in the woods. We go plate-less. We assert our right to travel, freely – and anonymously.

But, it must be done all at once. By millions of us.

Then, we will succeed.

Our “farmers” can deal with the futile fence-jumping of the occasional recalcitrant “cow.” In part because the “farmers” can count on the tacit complicity of the other cows. They moo their approval . . . of the farmer. He brings back the renegade, the law-breaker. The herd is happy once more.

But what happens when the herd revolts? Then the farmer has a tougher problem on his hands.

Of course, cows – the real ones – are dumb, passive beasts. Which is why they’re used for milk and meat. Why, their very bodies are simply taken from them. Generation upon generation. Born – bred – to serve the purposes of the farmer.

Are we also cows? Or are there, perhaps, a few cape buffalo among us? The cape buffalo is not an animal to be trifled with. In its native Africa, it is known as “The Black Death.” Even lions give it a wide berth. It is fierce – and fiercely independent. Which is perhaps why it – unlike other bovines – has yet to be successfully domesticated. You will never see one with a tag in its ear.

So, how about you?

Will you join me in celebrating National Throw Your Tags in The Woods Day?

Let’s say next July the 4th.

For the first time in a very long time, we’d finally have something worth celebrating: Actual freedom from tyranny – as opposed to the worship of tyranny that occasion has come to embody.

Will you join me?

It’ll be illuminating to learn just how many cape buffaloes are left out there. The cynic in me expects only a few.

I hope you’ll prove me wrong.

Anti Federalist
07-23-2013, 09:37 PM
///

heavenlyboy34
07-23-2013, 09:44 PM
How do you expect to remain safe without government ID, mundane? You might as well suggest mandatory Social Security numbers and birth certificate registration are wrong. ;) :(

ETA: your thoughtcrime has been reported.

mad cow
07-23-2013, 09:53 PM
Steve Jobs never had tags.

http://news.yahoo.com/steve-jobs-got-away-not-having-license-plate-231810329.html

Carlybee
07-23-2013, 09:54 PM
I drove for a year without a front plate..finally got a ticket...never did put it on

Origanalist
07-23-2013, 09:56 PM
Mooo

Christian Liberty
07-23-2013, 10:17 PM
For some reason this tactic doesn't sit right with me. Not that there's anything wrong with it, of course, but I just think it would backfire.

I feel like there have to be better ways of exercising civil disobedience than this. Namely, something that will actually work with somewhere close to 1% of the population.

Something more like holding up a DWI checkpoint. A dozen people could make a big difference there. With this, those dozen people would just be ticketed or arrested and for what?

Obviously, I'm fine with any form of civil disobedience, but I don't think I'd draw my personal line here. I see nothing to gain and too much to lose.

Anti Federalist
07-23-2013, 10:23 PM
Obviously, I'm fine with any form of civil disobedience, but I don't think I'd draw my personal line here. I see nothing to gain and too much to lose.

So do we all: sum the negative ramifications of taking action.

And therefore, no action gets taken, ever.

Christian Liberty
07-23-2013, 10:26 PM

I'm not saying don't do anything, I'm just saying, pick something that's more likely to work.

Something that actually draws attention.

20 people blocking up one DWI checkpoint draws attention. Same thing if they were to do that at a TSA full body scanner (If I weren't so darn depressed and weak of will at the moment [Not because of government, depression because of the thugs wouldn't stop me from doing anything] I would seriously have considered doing this today...)

But if that same number of people pull their licenses off, it doesn't really make any inconvenience for anybody. The cops just give out tickets and... who cares?

Picking battles is essential to winning, IMO. Your Milage May Vary.

Anti Federalist
07-23-2013, 10:39 PM
Picking battles is essential to winning, IMO. Your Milage May Vary.

We no longer have that luxury.

We are, in fact, surrounded.

But that is a good thing, actually:

"Great. Now we can shoot at those bastards from every direction." - Lewis "Chesty" Puller

Christian Liberty
07-23-2013, 10:46 PM
We no longer have that luxury.

We are, in fact, surrounded.

But that is a good thing, actually:

"Great. Now we can shoot at those bastards from every direction." - Lewis "Chesty" Puller

You know, I don't even think I can respond to that last line on the internet. I guess I'll settle for "Live long and Prosper: for you and "Good luck" (with a heavy dose of sarcasm) for them.

As for the rest: I hear you. But honestly, I'd rather go to jail for doing something that's at least annoying to the thugs in charge rather than going to jail for something that does absolutely nothing to actually annoy them and in fact just increases their revenue.

I'm sure I'll see you on the metaphorical "Battlefield" one of these days, but I personally don't think I'd pick this particular battle. Good luck if you do.

Brian4Liberty
07-23-2013, 11:11 PM
Good idea. Doubt you could ever get many people to do it though.

heavenlyboy34
07-23-2013, 11:17 PM
Someone on these forums should figure out how to make those cyborgs from Terminator 2 so's we can go to war with TPTB on their turf without risking us regular folks' lives and property. :cool:

oyarde
07-23-2013, 11:19 PM
I have a front plate , it has an Eastern Diamondback or Timber Rattler on it, I am a Fan of folk art.

Nobexliberty
07-23-2013, 11:19 PM
I thought you meant food plate

oyarde
07-23-2013, 11:21 PM
I thought you meant food plate

I use paper , when the women folk are asleep ,do it every evening.

Nobexliberty
07-23-2013, 11:27 PM
I use paper , when the women folk are asleep ,do it every evening.The women folk wake up and see you use paper instead of a plate one day.

mad cow
07-23-2013, 11:28 PM
I use paper , when the women folk are asleep ,do it every evening.

Bachelor here,paper plates and plastic utensils.Every day is throw your plate away day.

amy31416
07-23-2013, 11:32 PM
I think FF makes some good points, despite the fact that I would support such an effort.

There is a better cause/point to be made. This isn't it--yet.

oyarde
07-23-2013, 11:38 PM
The women folk wake up and see you use paper instead of a plate one day.

That does not matter , the insistance for real plates is only when they are eating or we have company ( any vagrant qualifies as company around here according to my Mrs ), of course this is just some sort of trap laid by the beasts of prey , to later get you to help with dishes . I will not be fooled so easily.This is why I am the Great Sachem , wisdom :) LOL

heavenlyboy34
07-23-2013, 11:48 PM
Bachelor here,paper plates and plastic utensils.Every day is throw your plate away day.
+1:cool: /brofist

heavenlyboy34
07-23-2013, 11:49 PM
That does not matter , the insistance for real plates is only when they are eating or we have company ( any vagrant qualifies as company around here according to my Mrs ), of course this is just some sort of trap laid by the beasts of prey , to later get you to help with dishes . I will not be fooled so easily.This is why I am the Great Sachem , wisdom :) LOL
I expect the fine china will be brought out when I visit your kingdom, yes? :D

oyarde
07-23-2013, 11:55 PM
I expect the fine china will be brought out when I visit your kingdom, yes? :D

Absolutely, the prettiest , salmon colored ones that had to be hunted from all over the Kingdom and you will get to see how many I wash :) If it was just you and I it would be just cooked over an open fire and eaten with hands , that is why God gave us two .One to hold your beer , the other to eat.

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-23-2013, 11:58 PM
traveling is a privilege, not a right, civilian

Nobexliberty
07-23-2013, 11:58 PM
Absolutely, the prettiest , salmon colored ones that had to be hunted from all over the Kingdom and you will get to see how many I wash :) If it was just you and I it would be just cooked over an open fire and eaten with hands , that is why God gave us two .One to hold your beer , the other to eat. I want to plunder your earthly kingdom.

Christian Liberty
07-24-2013, 06:38 AM
I think FF makes some good points, despite the fact that I would support such an effort.

There is a better cause/point to be made. This isn't it--yet.

Well, I'd support any act of civil disobedience against an unjust law.

But this isn't the kind of issue where twenty to thirty people can gather in one place and give the police a real headache. A DWI checkpoint is.

Pick your battles.

My point is a strategic one, not a moral one.

heavenlyboy34
07-24-2013, 07:40 AM
I want to plunder your earthly kingdom.
Not very nice! :P

jbauer
07-24-2013, 08:27 AM

Do you think 1% of the population is smart enough to operate a screwdriver to take the plate off in the first place?

ZENemy
07-24-2013, 08:43 AM
WE created the government, there is NO reason for us to have to ask for permission to travel from an entity that WE created.

The time is coming, we are going to have to accept consequences for doing the right thing. If I had any kind of following I would call for an all out revolt, remove you plates and get rid of the drivers license, keep insurance because thats just asking for trouble and I would buy it regardless of the law.

I am getting real tired of this "we must resist at all cost, but Don't break the law, make sure you pay your taxes and get valide registration" What kind of resistance is that?

Maybe I should print these out as big giant flash cards.

"Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which would abrogate them." Miranda v. Arizona, 384 US 436, 491.

"The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." Miller v. US, 230 F 486, at 489.

"There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of this exercise of constitutional rights." Sherer v. Cullen, 481 F 946

"The use of the highway for the purpose of travel and transportation is not a mere privilege, but a common fundamental right of which the public and individuals cannot rightfully be deprived." Chicago Motor Coach v. Chicago, 169 NE 221.

"The right to travel is a part of the liberty of which the citizen cannot be deprived without due process of law under the Fifth Amendment." Kent v. Dulles, 357 US 116, 125.

The right to travel is a well-established common right that does not owe its existence to the federal government. It is recognized by the courts as a natural right." Schactman v. Dulles 96 App DC 287, 225 F2d 938, at 941.

ZENemy
07-24-2013, 08:48 AM
traveling is a privilege, not a right, civilian

"Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which would abrogate them." Miranda v. Arizona, 384 US 436, 491.

"The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." Miller v. US, 230 F 486, at 489.

"There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of this exercise of constitutional rights." Sherer v. Cullen, 481 F 946

"The use of the highway for the purpose of travel and transportation is not a mere privilege, but a common fundamental right of which the public and individuals cannot rightfully be deprived." Chicago Motor Coach v. Chicago, 169 NE 221.

"The right to travel is a part of the liberty of which the citizen cannot be deprived without due process of law under the Fifth Amendment." Kent v. Dulles, 357 US 116, 125.

The right to travel is a well-established common right that does not owe its existence to the federal government. It is recognized by the courts as a natural right." Schactman v. Dulles 96 App DC 287, 225 F2d 938, at 941.

It is in fact working "for the people" that is a privilege and can be revoked by US whenever we finally decide to do it.

fr33
07-24-2013, 08:58 AM
Doing this instantly increases your odds of having to interact with the police. And we know how dangerous that is...

My inspection sticker expired in '05. I've received and paid 2 tickets for it over the years. $200 a pop.

ZENemy
07-24-2013, 10:02 AM
So what kind of resistance can we do?

It seems that generally every idea, from Kokesh to Ron Paul is far to "extreme" for anyone these days.

Christian Liberty
07-24-2013, 10:13 AM

It seems that generally every idea, from Kokesh to Ron Paul is far to "extreme" for anyone these days.

Well, I'm still young and living with my parents, so I personally can't do a whole lot until I'm on my own.

That said, if I were going to advise strategy...

Its not the "Extremism" of this approach that makes me not like it, but that it doesn't actually inconvenience the State and its officers. It just throws money in their laps.

On the other hand, if you got 20 or 30 liberty activists to go through a DWI checkpoint at the same time and make as much (Peaceful, anyhow) trouble for the officers as possible, it would likely shut down the checkpoint. It would certainly make a point and tick off the officers and a bunch of sheep.

So its not that this is too extreme that makes me not like it (Heaven knows, anyone who has a problem with that should read Thomas Jefferson) its that it doesn't actually hold anything up, its just throwing money into the State's lap for no reason.

heavenlyboy34
07-24-2013, 10:25 AM
WE created the government, there is NO reason for us to have to ask for permission to travel from an entity that WE created.

The time is coming, we are going to have to accept consequences for doing the right thing. If I had any kind of following I would call for an all out revolt, remove you plates and get rid of the drivers license, keep insurance because thats just asking for trouble and I would buy it regardless of the law.

I am getting real tired of this "we must resist at all cost, but Don't break the law, make sure you pay your taxes and get valide registration" What kind of resistance is that?

Maybe I should print these out as big giant flash cards.
No, a bunch of rich dead guys did.

The reason you have to ask permission to travel is that the guys with the biggest guns and force of law behind them control the roads. Disarm them, and you'll have a chance.

Nobexliberty
07-24-2013, 10:30 AM
Well, I'm still young and living with my parents, so I personally can't do a whole lot until I'm on my own.

That said, if I were going to advise strategy...

Its not the "Extremism" of this approach that makes me not like it, but that it doesn't actually inconvenience the State and its officers. It just throws money in their laps.

On the other hand, if you got 20 or 30 liberty activists to go through a DWI checkpoint at the same time and make as much (Peaceful, anyhow) trouble for the officers as possible, it would likely shut down the checkpoint. It would certainly make a point and tick off the officers and a bunch of sheep.

So its not that this is too extreme that makes me not like it (Heaven knows, anyone who has a problem with that should read Thomas Jefferson) its that it doesn't actually hold anything up, its just throwing money into the State's lap for no reason. I also live with my parents and the best strategy is to make libertarians out of pursuasive people. I made a few people libertarian in the winter of 2012/2013. When the cold went away it stopped working, seems people only change their minds when they freeze. It lead to a chain effect and around 20 people became libertarian.

ZENemy
07-24-2013, 10:41 AM
No, a bunch of rich dead guys did.

The reason you have to ask permission to travel is that the guys with the biggest guns and force of law behind them control the roads. Disarm them, and you'll have a chance.

The guys with guns get their authority from us. They get their authority from "elected" leaders. Its time to ignore those elected leaders and find real ways to opt out.

Every time an idea is posted on this forum we have 33 people telling us why it CANNOT be done, what if those 33 people worked on a way it COULD be done?

Christian Liberty
07-24-2013, 10:48 AM
I also live with my parents and the best strategy is to make libertarians out of persvasive people. I made several people libertarian in the winter of 2012/2013. When the cold went away it stopped working, seems people only change their minds when they freeze.

You know, its tricky considering my dad is a pastor and I fail to have a satisfying answer to Romans 13. My attitude is almost "Screw it" but its hard to convince anyone of that.

My dad agrees with a lot of my political views but we disagree regarding when it is and is not appropriate to resist things.

oyarde
07-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Do you think 1% of the population is smart enough to operate a screwdriver to take the plate off in the first place?

Well , who puts them on for them?

Nobexliberty
07-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Well , who puts them on for them? The unregistred population.

fr33
07-24-2013, 11:32 AM

I'm not against doing it but do feel its important that people understand possible consequences.

Seraphim
07-24-2013, 11:41 AM
"Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God."

FALSE.

They were created by MEN and this verse was written by MEN.

You know, its tricky considering my dad is a pastor and I fail to have a satisfying answer to Romans 13. My attitude is almost "Screw it" but its hard to convince anyone of that.

My dad agrees with a lot of my political views but we disagree regarding when it is and is not appropriate to resist things.

oyarde
07-24-2013, 11:48 PM
I want to plunder your earthly kingdom.

I never bought a set of dishes until I was 21, before that I just used stuff I got at yard sales , or flirted with Carnival girls so they would give it to me.Then , shortly after I blew $25 on a complete set of Syracuse, my Grandmother gifted me a complete set ,much nicer , gravy boat and all :) SOB , I could have got a dozen cases of Lucky Lager cold beer instead. See if you moved down the road from me , I could get you some yard sale dishes, teach you to shoot, filet a fish , much better situation than what you got :) , LOL.

paulbot24
07-25-2013, 12:34 AM
I never bought a set of dishes until I was 21, before that I just used stuff I got at yard sales , or flirted with Carnival girls so they would give it to me.Then , shortly after I blew $25 on a complete set of Syracuse, my Grandmother gifted me a complete set ,much nicer , gravy boat and all :) SOB , I could have got a dozen cases of Lucky Lager cold beer instead. See if you moved down the road from me , I could get you some yard sale dishes, teach you to shoot, filet a fish , much better situation than what you got :) , LOL.

Give a man a fish and you keep him a statist. Teach him how to fillet a fish and you make him a libertarian.:)

Christian Liberty
07-25-2013, 06:35 AM
"Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God."

FALSE.

They were created by MEN and this verse was written by MEN.

Yeah, you obviously aren't a Christian anyways. I'll keep the Biblical debates between people that at least claim to believe the Bible.