PDA

View Full Version : Hey Florida SYG law, no more madonna,usher, Kwest,jay-z,timberlake,r.kelly,Rihanna for you

aGameOfThrones
07-23-2013, 04:47 PM
Madonna,*Usher,*Pattie Labelle,*Kanye West, Jay Z, the Rolling Stones,*Justin Timberlake,*R. Kelly,*Rihanna,*Alicia Keys, Will I AM, Erykah Badu and Rod Stewart are among 20 musical acts said to be joining Stevie Wonder's boycott of the state of Florida.

Some of the artists listed have already canceled concerts in the Sunshine State after recent events.*
See video:*Stevie Wonder Won't Perform in Florida Until 'Stand Your Ground Law Is Abolished'.

"I decided today that until the Stand Your Ground law is abolished in Florida, I will never perform there again," Wonder announced at a concert earlier this month. "As a matter of fact, wherever I find that law exists, I will not perform in that state or in that part of the world."

Roughly 30 states have some version of the controversial law.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/justin-timberlake-jay-z-rolling-stones-madonna-kanye-160414775.html

Controversial law? Anyway, wasn't Zimmerman's a Self-defense case?

GregSarnowski
07-23-2013, 04:50 PM
Yes, the case had zip to do with Stand Your Ground; Zimmerman would've been acquitted in all 50 states on self-defense alone.

Now if these "acts" would stop touring the country altogether that is something I could get behind.

BuddyRey
07-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Oh woe is me!!! How will Florida ever recover from being denied the trite pop blandness and autotuned hackery of Usher, Rihanna, and Will I Am?!?!

Hell, if anything, this will probably cause a musical Renaissance to sweep the state. I hope they choose to boycott themselves from Florida radio stations too!

I only wish I lived there! :(

dannno
07-23-2013, 05:13 PM
Now if these "acts" would stop touring the country altogether that is something I could get behind.

+rep

Fucking media whores.

COpatriot
07-23-2013, 05:16 PM
Fucks given: 0

thoughtomator
07-23-2013, 05:17 PM
Seriously, those laws have more benefits that I realized - it keeps old, stale recycled talent away.

Keith and stuff
07-23-2013, 05:19 PM
I don't beleive you. Certainly all of those people don't support the beating, rape and murder of women, minorities and the elderly in Florida? How could all of these entertainers be so evil?

Antischism
07-23-2013, 05:27 PM
Gainesville has a thriving indie and punk scene. Lots of great bands coming out of that region. Music is the least of Florida's problems, in my opinion. That these mainstream acts refuse to play there is no big deal, really. They'll have to answer to their fans eventually in any case, or risk losing them over it.

cjm
07-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Madonna,*Usher,*Pattie Labelle,*Kanye West, Jay Z, the Rolling Stones,*Justin Timberlake,*R. Kelly,*Rihanna,*Alicia Keys, Will I AM, Erykah Badu and Rod Stewart are among 20 musical acts said to be joining Stevie Wonder's boycott of the state of Florida.

Some of the artists listed have already canceled concerts in the Sunshine State after recent events.*
See video:*Stevie Wonder Won't Perform in Florida Until 'Stand Your Ground Law Is Abolished'.

"I decided today that until the Stand Your Ground law is abolished in Florida, I will never perform there again," Wonder announced at a concert earlier this month. "As a matter of fact, wherever I find that law exists, I will not perform in that state or in that part of the world."

So who's going to mail him the list?

Lucille
07-23-2013, 05:40 PM
What are they calling themselves? Musicians Against Self Defense?

Ignorance of the law
http://voxday.blogspot.com/2013/07/ignorance-of-law.html

Is no excuse for looking like a moron.
[...]
Blindness isn't merely a physical phenomenon. It should be amusing to see how quickly Mr. Wonder backs down once he realizes he just effectively ended his career outside the recording studio.

JK/SEA
07-23-2013, 05:40 PM
one door closes for some, another door opens for somebody else...

free market at work.

Anti Federalist
07-23-2013, 06:23 PM
LOL - FL will cave, you watch.

Cowlesy
07-23-2013, 06:27 PM
LOL - FL will cave, you watch.

FOR NO FUCKING REASON.

I agree, they will.

trey4sports
07-23-2013, 06:27 PM
Good fuckin' riddance. I didn't like any of those pussies to begin with.

Wooden Indian
07-23-2013, 06:32 PM
I am mere months away from leaving this craptastic state. Good ridence, FL. Moving to a nice large piece of property in the Carolinas, dead center of BFE. It just can't get here soon enough.

Feeding the Abscess
07-23-2013, 07:18 PM
Floridian death metal rises again?

lol

RCA
07-23-2013, 07:19 PM
Have these idiots not learned a thing from Jim Carrey?

Kodaddy
07-23-2013, 07:54 PM
Is it possible to add a few more names to that list?

Neil Desmond
07-23-2013, 08:01 PM
Screw them. Boycott them. In fact, put them on your "never spend another penny on any of their music again" list, until they renounce their stance on this issue. Don't let them put the pressure on anyone to change what's right; make them the ones who are subject to being pressured to quit trying this crap.

Anyway, wasn't Zimmerman's a Self-defense case?
Apparently, but they want to go after SYG anyways and it probably doesn't make any difference to them. That's what the "powers that be" seem to want, to get rid of SYG. They're just using Zimmerman trying to take advantage of any cognitive dissonance (or whatever it is) out there as an opportunity to take a stab at it despite the flawed premise or argument, because they think it'll just work for them & they'll be right if we let them get away with that. They're trying to turn us into what they've done to England.

BlackTerrel
07-23-2013, 08:39 PM
They're not actually going to boycott and no one really gives a fuck if they do.

BTW I thought this was a race war and we were all going to start killing each other. How come people of all races are unifying on this?

Justin Timberlake is whiter than Wayne Brady.

BlackTerrel
07-23-2013, 08:39 PM
They're not actually going to boycott and no one really gives a fuck if they do.

BTW I thought this was a race war and we were all going to start killing each other. How come people of all races are unifying on this?

liveandletlive
07-23-2013, 08:41 PM
who cares? Cubans are running florida just fine with their businesses.

James Madison
07-23-2013, 09:47 PM

Oh, your posts are just so predictable, BT.

BlackTerrel
07-23-2013, 10:05 PM
Oh, your posts are just so predictable, BT.

The predictable thing is that Kanye West and Justin Timberlake would stand in solidarity.

What was also predictable was no race war. No real violence.

A lot of people disagreed with me a couple weeks ago.

James Madison
07-23-2013, 10:14 PM
The predictable thing is that Kanye West and Justin Timberlake would stand in solidarity.

What was also predictable was no race war. No real violence.

A lot of people disagreed with me a couple weeks ago.

No rational individual actually believed a 'race war' would result from the not-guilty verdict.

Weston White
07-23-2013, 10:25 PM
BREAKING ACTION NEWS: Stevie Wonder concedes to an early retirement. As reality begins to set in Mr. Wonder, is wondering how he will pay his dues. And in other news Mr. Zimmerman is being touted as a hero for aiding a family’s escape from rollover collision and then quietly he rode off into the Florida sunset.

Antischism
07-24-2013, 12:44 AM
Jay Z, Madonna and Timberlake Are NOT Joining Boycott Against Florida (http://variety.com/2013/music/news/jay-z-madonna-and-timberlake-are-not-joining-boycott-against-florida-1200567299/)

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
07-24-2013, 12:47 AM
I really wish MD would pass some of these laws so I can sleep well at night knowing a whole bunch of terrible musicians will not be coming here to even further flush this state down the toilet.

Philhelm
07-24-2013, 01:11 AM
What a bunch of quivering bitches. Zero respect.

The Northbreather
07-24-2013, 01:40 AM
I really wish MD would pass some of these laws so I can sleep well at night knowing a whole bunch of terrible musicians will not be coming here to even further flush this state down the toilet.

Stevie Wonder is not a terrible musician by any stretch, he is extremely talented.

It a shame about his comments though.

The jury did the right thing with the facts they had to work with.

I will say that if Trayvon was my kin, I would have felt ripped off that he didn't get to represent his side of a two person struggle. It was the circumstance of the case and we'll never know for sure.

Victor Grey
07-24-2013, 04:17 AM
I don't care, and I don't believe them anyway.

One will welch, basically no one on the face of the earth will give a crap, and then the rest in the boycott will cave in as well. Give it two years I wager you'll see half of them with tour dates in Florida; and practically nobody will remember nor care.

If I'm wrong on that prediction big whoop, either way.

I notice not every one else seems to be interested in following Wonder's added insistence on avoided all states that have stand your ground law. I wonder if he himself follows through on that promise given a little time.

This is all just a stunt for quick publicity.

LibertyEagle
07-24-2013, 05:54 AM
Boo hoo.

Lucille
07-24-2013, 08:56 AM
It really pisses me off that they're so upset about Martin, but you don't hear a peep from them about the govt killing Kathryn Johnston and Aiyana Jones (to name just two). Now those deaths are something to riot and boycott about, but Obama et al. didn't lead people by the nose on that, so...

timosman
11-04-2016, 10:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p7wO5IF3I8

Weston White
11-05-2016, 10:20 PM
Controversial law? Anyway, wasn't Zimmerman's a Self-defense case?

The case should have never gone to trial, even if Florida was a "duty to retreat" state, which it is not. His situation qualified for use of force under: "If that is not an option, say if you were cornered or pinned down and facing serious harm or death, then you would be authorized to use deadly force in self defense."

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-law-basics/states-that-have-stand-your-ground-laws.html

* Again he had no duty to follow the dispatcher's "commands" or not to tail the kid walking around the complex.