PDA

View Full Version : A Post-Ron Paul America

HayekianGuy
11-27-2007, 01:27 PM
I am a fervent supporter of Ron Paul and hope that he will one day become President. However, I am a realist and I know that the likelihood of such an event is slim to none. That doesn't matter to much because I always thought that it was the message that was of the utmost importance. The candidacy of Ron Paul could be the culmination of frustration and disillusionment with the political establishment or it could be just another campaign. My fear is that once the 2008 election is over and done and Ron Paul is not in office, that the support and the energy that he has built up will dissipate. There are not many politicians out there that share Paul's platform, even at the basic levels. I think that we have shown the country what passionate supporters can do when they organize and give their heart and soul to an idea (freedom). But it would be a shame if it ended when the Ron Paul campaign finally comes to an end.

So my question is: Would it not be prudent to plan for a Post-Ron Paul America? I don't know what that would exactly entail, maybe the forming of a new party? The LP unfortunately has a negative stigma. Maybe a new party would re-energize the Paulian base. I can't think of what else we could do. But what has been created has to be more than something that will live and die with the next Presidential election. The Goldwater campaign gave way to the Reagan Presidency. Reagan didnt exactly follow through on many of his promises, but it showed how ideas can develop over time and become a force in politics. How do we go about making this happen? Any ideas?

user
11-27-2007, 01:43 PM
The LP unfortunately has a negative stigma.

Can you elaborate? I guess I don't know the history of the LP too well, but I've seen this kind of thing mentioned before. And even if they do have a negative stigma, I still think it would be better for us to "take over" the LP than to start another party from scratch with pretty much the exact same platform.

fsk
11-27-2007, 03:12 PM
There is a third alternative, called "agorism (http://fskrealityguide.blogspot.com/2007/09/agorist-philosophy-overview.html)". Basically, a bunch of people get together and start their own economic and political system, and ignore the preexisting corrupt system.

I don't think it's possible to reform the current system by voting.