PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the ‘Sharing Economy’

Anti Federalist
07-21-2013, 05:37 PM
Interesting read and good for these guys, glad they made it.

My only problem with this?

When they first started out, that first week, I can count any number of local, state and federal safety, fire and food codes and regulations they broke, some felonies.

As I reckon people who are doing it now are risking. I don't know, I didn't read through the whole article yet to find out if "compliance" has been addressed.

This is what I'm talking about...this is what will be sniffed out, SWAT raided and shut down, once the full Matrix gets online in September.

Welcome to the ‘Sharing Economy’

By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN

Published: July 20, 2013

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/21/opinion/sunday/friedman-welcome-to-the-sharing-economy.html?src=me&ref=general&_r=0

IT all started with air mattresses.

Brian Chesky’s parents wanted just one thing for him when he graduated from the Rhode Island School of Design — that he get a job with health insurance. He tried that for a while with a design firm in Los Angeles, but he got fed up and packed up his Honda Civic and drove up to San Francisco to crash with his pal, Joe Gebbia, who agreed to split the rental of his house with Chesky. “Unfortunately, my share came to $1,150 and I only had $1,000 in the bank, so I had a math problem — and I was unemployed,” said Chesky. But they did have an idea. The week Chesky got to town, in October 2007, San Francisco was hosting the Industrial Designers Society of America, and all the hotel rooms on the conference Web site were sold out. So Chesky and Gebbia decided, why not turn their house into a bed and breakfast for attendees?

The problem was “we had no beds,” but Gebbia did have three air mattresses. “So we inflated them and called ourselves ‘Airbed and Breakfast,’ ” Chesky, 31, recalled for me in an interview. “Three people stayed with us, and we charged them $80 a night. We also made breakfast for them and became their local guides.” In the process, they made enough money to cover the rent. More important, though, it spawned a bigger idea that has since blossomed into a multimillion-dollar company and a whole new way for people to make money. The idea was to create a global network through which anyone anywhere could rent a spare room in their home to earn cash. In homage to its roots, they called the company Airbnb, which has grown so large, so fast that it is now the equivalent of a major global hotel chain — even though, unlike Hilton, it doesn’t own a single bed. And the new trend it set off is the “sharing economy.”

07-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Ads are that site are like a neon sign on the roof "zoning violations here" with an arrow. Not worth the hassle from the man for the little money you'd make.

Which is BS of course, any person should be able to sell any service to anyone who agrees at any price.

VoluntaryAmerican
07-21-2013, 08:06 PM
Just checked it out, great site.

Mani
07-21-2013, 11:39 PM
I know FL has no STATE INCOME tax, and they always said it's because of the tourist industry, so they made up for it with the HOTEL taxes. There are a lot of taxes added on for Hotels and I believe rental cars.

Plenty of other states do that as well. So are these guys paying the Hospitality/lodging state and local taxes?

If these guys advertise on a site and not charge that and then pay it to the state, I can see the state marching in and shutting this stuff down. :(

Anti Federalist
07-22-2013, 07:41 AM
///

tod evans
07-22-2013, 07:43 AM
Cash never happened.