PDA

View Full Version : Banned from Facebook for what other people didn't do

tangent4ronpaul
07-21-2013, 01:56 PM
Anyone else get banned from Facebook recently? I almost never use that site anymore, but do peak in from time to time if someone links to something there.

Anyway, I'm currently under a 7 day ban. My sin? Enough people that I had sent friend requests to did not accept (or reject) that friend request. Who are these people that I Friended? Why they would be the vary same ones that Facebook served up as "you may know or like X". They tended to be people that I had hundreds of friends in common with. You know - Ron Paul Supporters.

It seems that Facebook does not like being used for political organizing by "fringe" political groups, like us and is trying to purge us if we try to use it to contact politically friendly people.

"Facebook is the new Meetup" - Yeah Riiiiggghhhttt... :rolleyes:

-t

jonhowe
07-21-2013, 01:58 PM
There's probably just an algorithm for that which no one thought to modify for the "people you may know" feature. No reason to think this is political, my friend, but I'm sure it's annoying.

Anti Federalist
07-21-2013, 02:05 PM
"FarceBook is an invaluable tool to network for liberty issues. It is well worth the loss of privacy".

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTda1mQFqnLpZEWfDDO1a9s5IKPI_n0C Wd_93pnzDFYxbid_gf6

Anti Federalist
07-21-2013, 02:07 PM
There's probably just an algorithm for that which no one thought to modify for the "people you may know" feature. No reason to think this is political, my friend, but I'm sure it's annoying.

Why is there no reason to think it is political?

Certainly it is easily within the range of technology to be done.

parocks
07-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Ron Paul Forums should have a full set of Facebook / Meetup features.

muzzled dogg
07-21-2013, 02:19 PM
"FarceBook is an invaluable tool to network for liberty issues. It is well worth the loss of privacy".

this is actually true. its basically impossible to be an activist and not have a facebook account

Anti Federalist
07-21-2013, 02:25 PM
this is actually true. its basically impossible to be an activist and not have a facebook account

Well, I guess I'm not an "activist" then.

Won't ever catch me on Zuckerberg's Folly.

I fail to what so fundamentally changed in five years that activism is no longer possible without FarceBook.

RickyJ
07-21-2013, 02:26 PM
No problem, just don't use facebook, mostly low IQ people on there anyway.

RickyJ
07-21-2013, 02:34 PM
I also got banned from adding friends for 7 days recently. The ban is over now but I will never add another "friend" on Facebook again even if I do know them. They can add me though, but I am not going to give them an excuse to ban me again.

WhistlinDave
07-21-2013, 02:35 PM
Here's my understanding of it, and I know this from posts by Israel Anderson (the founder of RonPaulFlix.com), who runs a page on FB called "Am I Libertarian?"

Apparently whenever you receive a friend request, upon accepting or declining it, FB then asks you, "Do you know this person in real life?"

Well if you click "No" after you declined the friend request, if that happens 2 or 3 times or more (nobody knows the exact formula), then FB assumes the person who sent the friend requests is spamming people or trying to harass people or whatever and they put a ban on the account. Have that happen too many times and you can be permanently banned, from what I understand.

Keep in mind, many people in the Liberty Movement value their privacy, and are wary of strangers online for obvious reasons (govt. snooping), and might not accept a friend request even if they see you have a few mutual friends, if you're someone they don't know. But most people don't realize the harm it can cause clicking "No" when FB asks "Do you know this person in real life?"

(By the way, if you ignore that question after accepting or declining a friend request, it goes away after a little while. I always just ignore it now. Just click on the page outside the friend request drop-down and it closes up.)

So anyway... You have to be careful not to send a lot of friend requests to people you don't know.

compromise
07-21-2013, 02:49 PM
I got banned a while back for liking too many pages too fast (they thought I was a bot) and sending too many friend requests.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
07-21-2013, 02:53 PM
"Facebook is the new Meetup" - Yeah Riiiiggghhhttt... :rolleyes:

-t

It's the anti-meetup, actually.

It's impossible to be an activist and not be on a list of some sort, regardless of FB. Actually, instead of activist... I should say "dissident." I bet you need not be an activist at all to make certain lists. You simply need to disagree in a digital format.

Warlord
07-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Well, I guess I'm not an "activist" then.

Won't ever catch me on Zuckerberg's Folly.

I fail to what so fundamentally changed in five years that activism is no longer possible with FarceBook.

I'm there but under assumed names. I suppose you can proxy around it if you were that desperate to get on and have nothing linked to you.

I dont even like it any more it's become bloated like so many services.

Anti Federalist
07-21-2013, 03:01 PM
I'm there but under assumed names. I suppose you can proxy around it if you were that desperate to get on and have nothing linked to you.

I dont even like it any more it's become bloated like so many services.

Not at all desperate to have anything to do with it.

I give out enough information right here, and that's plenty`.

WhistlinDave
07-21-2013, 03:01 PM
It's where the sheeple are. I know because they comprise 98% of my friends list. I try to educate them daily. Many of them have probably "hidden" my posts by now. Which might make them deliberate ostriches now instead of sheep. Maybe ostrisheep.

Anti Federalist
07-21-2013, 03:06 PM
It's where the sheeple are. I know because they comprise 98% of my friends list. I try to educate them daily. Many of them have probably "hidden" my posts by now. Which might make them deliberate ostriches now instead of sheep. Maybe ostrisheep.

Sheepitches?

Keith and stuff
07-21-2013, 03:07 PM

Not really. You could get by just fine in New Hampshire without it since 1 person updates a lot of the meet-up stuff, there are private clubs people can go to and learn stuff, there are 2 (a Keene and a statewide) phone alert services and of course, there is Twitter. Not to mention, phone, email, text and regularly scheduled events all over the state.

I agree that to be a super activist, you would need to be connected to some Facebook networks, but you can be an activist just fine without Facebook where I live.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
07-21-2013, 03:07 PM

I suspect they listen, but they're scared to agree in that format. Social pressures aside (like people looking for jobs), they're well aware they're being tracked and categorized. So am I, but fuck em.

jonhowe
07-21-2013, 03:16 PM
Why is there no reason to think it is political?

Certainly it is easily within the range of technology to be done.

Because I have a massive network of liberty minded people who speak their minds, share links, add friends, organize events, etc, and none have ever had a problem. Myself included.

ALSO, I know from a friend's experience (who is NOT a ron paul fan) that if you add too many people at once the site automatically suspends your account after a certain point. This is to avoid fake profiles and scams. THIS IS WHAT THE OP SAID HAPPENED.

JK/SEA
07-21-2013, 03:20 PM
for myself, facebook was a 'novelty' that soon turned to boredom.....it may have its uses, but...blah.

jonhowe
07-21-2013, 03:55 PM
I should add:

I signed up for Facebook in September 2007. I had never heard of Ron Paul at the time.
Please note my join date here.

Where do you think I heard of him?

Occam's Banana
07-21-2013, 04:19 PM
Sheepitches?

Shostricheeps?

satchelmcqueen
07-21-2013, 07:27 PM
i used fb for the last election all the time. after it was over i purged my page of everything and killed it as best as i could. i dont even remember the log in now thank god.

green73
07-21-2013, 07:30 PM

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQx9iACi4TRe66mWUHLqTTVkpg85OjeV O2SfVACF7LIi0qB1JAE

brandon
07-21-2013, 07:39 PM
I signed up for facebook in 2007 specifically because my Ron Paul meetup told me I should use it to organize my campus. Never had one problem with it. I don't use it much anymore though.

luctor-et-emergo
07-22-2013, 01:54 AM
I should add:

I signed up for Facebook in September 2007. I had never heard of Ron Paul at the time.
Please note my join date here.

Where do you think I heard of him?

Youtube ? ;)

KCIndy
07-22-2013, 01:54 AM
I'm under a self-imposed lifetime ban from Facebook.

I know we've been round and round the mulberry bush with this one, but I still can't see any advantages to Facebook. If I want every friend, family member and casual acquaintance to know what's going on, I can always send out an email to everyone in my address book. I any of the above think my opinion is worth passing along, they can hit the "forward" button. If I want to troll new activists of a like mind, I can post in any number of freedom/liberty forums, or even run an ad on any number of like-minded web sites.

Other than to make it much easier for the Feds to compile more dossier info on me, or for future employers to discover that embarrassing reason NOT to hire me, I just can't see any use for Facebook. None at all.

/endrant :)

I<3Liberty
07-22-2013, 02:22 AM
I liked a few libertarian pages and joined a couple groups. Now, I constantly get friend requests from people. The few times I cave in and accept, a few weeks later, they'll often send me a link to their new FB because they were banned for "spamming."

I've never been banned, yet I don't use FB for political purposes. It's great for keeping in touch with friends from high school, buying and selling textbooks with classmates, study groups, and the alike. FB isn't the best platform for political purposes. Sure, twitter (among several others) has also been to known to ban people for "spamming" (sending many requests or messages), but the twitter and Google+ platforms are still much more suitable for connecting with many people and sharing political news or campaigning.

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-22-2013, 04:33 AM
I thought to be banned from a social site you had to call someone a racial slur or something

Anti Federalist
07-22-2013, 07:11 AM
It's great for keeping in touch with friends from high school, buying and selling textbooks with classmates, study groups, and the alike.

Well, I hear that from a lot of people, and maybe that explains it.

I hated high school, quit when I was 16 and never looked back.

The people that I could possibly conceive even caring about, I could count on the fingers of one hand, and 3 out of those five, are dead.

kahless
07-22-2013, 07:32 AM
I'm under a self-imposed lifetime ban from Facebook.

I know we've been round and round the mulberry bush with this one, but I still can't see any advantages to Facebook. If I want every friend, family member and casual acquaintance to know what's going on, I can always send out an email to everyone in my address book. I any of the above think my opinion is worth passing along, they can hit the "forward" button. If I want to troll new activists of a like mind, I can post in any number of freedom/liberty forums, or even run an ad on any number of like-minded web sites.

Other than to make it much easier for the Feds to compile more dossier info on me, or for future employers to discover that embarrassing reason NOT to hire me, I just can't see any use for Facebook. None at all.

/endrant :)

^Exactly. You could also use anonymous VPN or TOR with a false Facebook account for political activism for people you are unable to reach through other methods.

Obviously a public figure would continue to use Facebook normally but no good reason for supporters to not use a false name. Why risk having all your supporters easily targeted by the IRS or worse, rounded up one day.

limequat
07-22-2013, 07:41 AM
I was on facebook for a few months. I like the concept a lot.

However, the privacy issues freaked me out. Facebook was constantly updating settings and policies in the direction of the least privacy possible. I would often go to a user's page and find that it was completely open to the world.

The idea of a fed looking at pictures of my loved ones was too much to stomach. Canned it and regretted the error of signing up ever since.

I think that eventually ixquick or mozilla might create a truly private social media forum. Until then, I'm out.

jbauer
07-22-2013, 10:46 AM

I refuse to sign up for 24/7 internet monitoring otherwise known as facebook. Doesn't mean I'm not actively trying to pursue political means.