PDA

View Full Version : Economist Art Laffer Supports New Internet Sales Tax (again)

Matt Collins
07-21-2013, 12:19 PM
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/news-wire/2013/07/19/study-concludes-internet-sales-tax.html

JustinTime
07-21-2013, 12:35 PM
Im wondering how people here feel, would you accept an internet sales tax if it was part of a package abolishing all other forms of taxation and introducing a Fair Tax?

Warlord
07-21-2013, 12:35 PM
He loves more tax revenue for governments

Warlord
07-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Im wondering how people here feel, would you accept an internet sales tax if it was part of a package abolishing all other forms of taxation and introducing a Fair Tax?

Never going to happen. Stick to opposing all new taxes

Brian4Liberty
07-21-2013, 12:48 PM

No. The fundamental argument against this Internet tax is not about the tax itself. It's about scope of governments. It puts people (business) under the jurisdiction of 50 States, and nearly countless other subdivisions within those States. That is lunacy, and a terrible precedent.

RonPaulFanInGA
07-21-2013, 12:50 PM
What a laugh.

Brian4Liberty
07-21-2013, 12:51 PM

If you are talking about a Federal Internet Sales Tax, that is different from the current proposal.

kahless
07-21-2013, 01:02 PM
No. The fundamental argument against this Internet tax is not about the tax itself. It's about scope of governments. It puts people (business) under the jurisdiction of 50 States, and nearly countless other subdivisions within those States. That is lunacy, and a terrible precedent.

9600 districts. Now imagine some far off wacky local politician in one of those districts decides you did not pay your "fair share" and/or decides to use auditing or fines as a form of political activism.

Laffer Associates is on the list of supporters and the speakers for the bill were using his comments to promote passage of the bill. No doubt many of Laffer's clients are on record supporting the bill.

mczerone
07-21-2013, 01:04 PM
This was the guy that just showed his face in Las Vegas as Freedom Fest?

That tent is too big...

LibForestPaul
07-21-2013, 01:23 PM
social security, decade after decade rate increases
medicare, decade after decade rate increases
my state sales tax, decade after decade rate increases.
my state property tax, year after year rate increase and horrible shennanigans and cronism.

fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

JustinTime
07-21-2013, 03:43 PM
If you are talking about a Federal Internet Sales Tax, that is different from the current proposal.

Yeah that's what I meant, not thousands of cities, counties and states all levying their own taxes. That's be a Holy Mess.

I don't mean to sidetrack the thread with it, its just that Im torn, I like the idea of a "Fair Tax" because its takes the ability to decide how much tax you pay away from government. Its easy for anyone to figure out, its a percentage of whatever you buy.

I also understand the logic of opposing any new taxes, but as a small business owner I know the current system is an incomprehensible trainwreck and something simple would be great.

Theocrat
07-21-2013, 03:47 PM
I don't trust Art Laffer's economic analyses very much. Remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYkFYdLTTw8

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
07-21-2013, 03:58 PM
I also understand the logic of opposing any new taxes, but as a small business owner I know the current system is an incomprehensible trainwreck and something simple would be great.

It makes sense for you to feel that way, but I can assure you that people who want to "tax" you don't give a flying fuck regarding your thoughts on the issue. They do care about compliance... which you are hinting at, but then they wouldn't be able to use the tax code for social engineering, and wouldn't be able to use the tax code for crony handouts or harassment. Would they give up those things to make you more compliant? Or lessen your costs as a small business person? They entirely don't give a fuck about you, and will make you comply anyway, so why would they give up all of that power?

Matt Collins
10-09-2013, 05:40 PM
And yet another op-ed by this guy:

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20131009/OPINION03/310090065/