PDA

View Full Version : New Ford system helps warn police of approaches

jim49er
07-20-2013, 09:25 PM
EARBORN, Mich. (AP) — Police could soon be getting some extra backup — from their cars.

Ford Motor Co. has a new surveillance system for police cars that automatically sounds a chime, locks the doors and puts up the windows if it detects someone approaching the car from behind. The system — which Ford is patenting — is the first of its kind.

"It's like insurance. You hope you never need it. But if you do, it gives the officer a few extra seconds of warning," says Marc Ellison, vice president of operations at Auburn, Calif.-based InterMotive Inc., which helped Ford develop it.

Backup cameras and sensors usually only work when a car is in reverse. The new system, dubbed "Surveillance Mode," allows an officer to use them while the car is parked. An image from the backup camera is beamed onto the rearview mirror, so the officer can keep an eye on the rear of the car. If someone comes too close, four sensors on the rear bumper will detect them. The system works during the day and at night, when officers are often the most vulnerable. It can be turned off if officers are in high traffic areas with a lot of pedestrians.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/new-ford-system-helps-warn-police-approaches

The wasted tax money just keeps coming.

Dr.3D
07-20-2013, 09:28 PM
They should offer that on all of the cars so everybody can have a warning of when somebody is approaching from the rear. I think cops approach from the rear more than anybody.

Anti Federalist
07-20-2013, 09:35 PM
They should offer that on all of the cars so everybody can have a warning of when somebody is approaching from the rear. I think cops approach from the rear more than anybody.

Giving them a good excuse to fly off in 'roid rage, smash your window and taser your ass.

Anti Federalist
07-20-2013, 09:36 PM
Sounds to me like it would lock them in like a sitting duck.

donnay
07-20-2013, 09:38 PM
Well we have OnStar to lock us in when the police want us to be sitting ducks. :(

Scrapmo
07-20-2013, 09:53 PM

The police officers I do know would absolutley hate this feature anyways. Hell, one of them told me they were trained not to wear seatbelts anymore because one time, one cop, couldnt get out of his car fast enough when someone started firing on him. No joke.

KCIndy
07-20-2013, 09:56 PM

I was just thinking the same thing. Tactical nightmare. With this system, the cops would be locked in, with windows up. I can't think of a more difficult position from which to return fire.

Cop or not, I personally would NOT want one of these systems on my vehicle.

satchelmcqueen
07-20-2013, 09:57 PM
hell yeah!! plus rep!!

Occam's Banana
07-20-2013, 10:19 PM
I'm seeing images of some mundane getting tasered and hauled off to jail for walking his dog. He come up behind one of these cars, the system kicks and startles the hell out of the cop inside, who spills hot coffee on himself, and it's off to the races ...

paulbot24
07-20-2013, 11:03 PM
The races being "No matter what horse crosses first, you still lose" kind of races.

Anti Federalist
07-20-2013, 11:30 PM
I was just thinking the same thing. Tactical nightmare. With this system, the cops would be locked in, with windows up. I can't think of a more difficult position from which to return fire.

If you have an 08 or later Government Motors vehicle, you already do.

GunnyFreedom
07-20-2013, 11:33 PM

The police officers I do know would absolutley hate this feature anyways. Hell, one of them told me they were trained not to wear seatbelts anymore because one time, one cop, couldnt get out of his car fast enough when someone started firing on him. No joke.

Automatic goldfish bowl sheeple converters.