PDA

View Full Version : Justin Amash Quietly Tries to Build a National Brand

tsai3904
07-20-2013, 12:14 PM
Michigan’s Amash Quietly Tries to Build a National Brand

The libertarian lawmaker wants to be a known name, whether he runs for the Senate or not.

The young conservative known to Republican colleagues as the most reliable “no” vote in Congress is trying to build his political brand—and collect the campaign cash that comes with it.

Maybe it’s for a Senate run. (Justin Amash still won’t say.) But what’s certain is that the Michigan Republican wants to be seen as the go-to libertarian in the House—a position he’s been trying to fill since Ron Paul left Congress.

"Regardless of what my decision is [on the Senate race], I think it's important to get out there, spend some time throughout the state and try to spread the message that I've been spreading here and in my district—the message of limited government, economic freedom, and individual liberty," Amash said.

Amash, in his second term, has already earned a reputation as one of the libertarian stalwarts in Washington. After the National Security Agency's surveillance programs were revealed, Amash was sought out by reporters and lawmakers alike. When he introduced a bill with Democratic Rep. John Conyers to limit the NSA's targeting of phone records, dozens of members, in both parties, asked to become cosponsors. And last week, as the House considered an appropriations bill for the Defense Department, Amash pushed an amendment to defund the NSA's surveillance.

More:
http://www.nationaljournal.com/congress/michigan-s-amash-quietly-tries-to-build-a-national-brand-20130720

alucard13mm
07-20-2013, 01:13 PM
The comments are horrible. at least for the yahoo version.

http://news.yahoo.com/michigan-amash-quietly-tries-build-national-brand-060020982.html

twomp
07-20-2013, 01:18 PM
I think he should be honest and send out some mail/email saying that he is considering running for Senate but he would need the funds to do it. The financial response he gets should let him know if people are willing to support him should he run for Senate.

I have a quick question though if anyone reading might know, if I max out on donations to Amash this year (2013), can I max out on donations again next year (2014) during an election year?

ClydeCoulter
07-20-2013, 01:19 PM
I like him, so far. Is it seen as bad to so many that he's actually trying to do his job and fulfill his oath? Weird.

tsai3904
07-20-2013, 01:20 PM
I have a quick question though if anyone reading might know, if I max out on donations to Amash this year (2013), can I max out on donations again next year (2014) during an election year?

The limits are per election (primary and general elections are separate). If you max out this year for both his primary and general 2014 election, you can't contribute to him anymore.

tsai3904
07-20-2013, 01:30 PM

Adding to what I wrote above, I forgot that he also has a leadership PAC, which you can contribute to once you reach the contribution limits for his campaign.

The contribution limit is $5,000 to his PAC. You can donate here: http://justinpac.com/

Michigan11
07-21-2013, 12:10 AM
I can't wait to go see Amash on August 13th, better not be any CIA or Gov agents reading this board. I'm going to see him and it's goin to be fun.

Warlord
07-21-2013, 01:53 AM
This is probably the frustrating part for him. Only took Ron about 20 years.

QuickZ06
07-21-2013, 09:14 AM
The comments are horrible. at least for the yahoo version.

http://news.yahoo.com/michigan-amash-quietly-tries-build-national-brand-060020982.html

Fear not, over 3,000+ comments for the "Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann, and Kate Upton" article. As there is only 121 comments on the article you posted. Priorities man/woman......priorities.

Warlord
07-21-2013, 10:25 AM
Fear not, over 3,000+ comments for the "Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann, and Kate Upton" article. As there is only 121 comments on the article you posted. Priorities man/woman......priorities.

This just demonstrates how hard it is to get attention as a congressman.

I was encouraged by some of the comments at Yahoo! and think it validates my theory; The swarm of DNC comment squads spewing their vitriol dont bother with it because they thread replies so its harder to jam. They go for the ones that can be jammed right to the top so guarantee's visibility underneath the story i.e NYT, WaPo, HuffPo. If they adopted Yahoo!'s comment system things would look interesting to us.

TaftFan
07-21-2013, 12:27 PM

I enjoyed that article as well.