PDA

View Full Version : Why I’m Draining My Savings to Stimulate the Economy

aGameOfThrones
07-20-2013, 08:18 AM
For several years, the economy limped along because of me. I scrimped on everything, did it myself if I could do it myself, and hoarded money out of fear that the recent recession had another dip or two left in it.

Things are different now. I’ve turned my savings into spending, rung up thousands of dollars’ worth of purchases on my credit cards and in the process paid a lot more in taxes. And I’ll probably keep spending like this until I nearly run out of money.

In other words, I’ve bought a house.

I finally took the bait and bought a home in the suburbs outside New York City a few weeks ago. Now, money I had been saving for years is circulating throughout the economy, helping make companies more profitable and keep workers employed. It’s the “paradox of thrift” in reverse: Liquidating my savings may make me more vulnerable to a financial shock, but it’s good for the overall economy. That’s how America operates. We don’t save very much, but that's perverse good news because our whole economy depends on people spending almost everything they earn.

A lot of Americans are beginning to spend money on homes the same way I am. Existing home sales are up sharply from the 2010 low point and are closing in on normal levels, which were about 5.5 million sales per year before they spiked above 7 million during the housing bubble, in 2005. New-home sales are still depressed, but they’ve ticked up as well. A pickup in housing activity and home values helps explain why the stock market keeps hitting record highs and consumers are gaining confidence, even as government spending cuts hold back the economy. Here are four specific ways I’m providing stimulus:

Buying lots of stuff. I’ve spent nearly $2,000 at Home Depot (HD) during the last few weeks. I've bought a new dishwasher, an air conditioner, lighting, lawn equipment and more fasteners, light bulbs and packing tape than I can keep track of. Before I bought a house, I might have spent $50 a month on that kind of stuff. No wonder Home Depot’s stock is up 30% so far this year.

Supporting local businesses. Before I even moved into my new home, I paid a specialty firm $1,800 to remove some asbestos pipe insulation in the basement and a cleaning service $300 to thoroughly scrub the place down. I’ve also paid my contractor John Augustyn more than $2,000 so far to install recessed lighting and help with a variety of other jobs. There are other projects I’d like to do if I can afford them, so the money will probably keep flowing into the economy, rather than into my bank account.

Fattening up the banks. As anybody who has ever taken out a mortgage knows, the whole process feels like a huge vacuum latches on to your bank account and starts sucking. I paid Wells Fargo (WFC) an origination fee of $650, plus I’ll be paying interest that’s about 4 percentage points higher than what Wells pays the depositors whose money makes lending possible. That’s a healthy spread that has helped Wells, the nation’s largest mortgage lender, turn in strong profits during the last several months.

I also paid around $4,000 in miscellaneous “title charges,” which is a frustrating part of buying a home. These services are largely performed by people you never see, largely for the purpose of making sure the paperwork is all in order. Sure, this can prevent costly legal problems down the road, but still, it feels like unseen bureaucrats are simply tacking on charges you have no choice but to pay, like sneaky senators who attach pet projects to must-pass Congressional bills. But title companies are a valid part of the economy, too.

Funding government. The most distressing part of buying a house is the tax bill. I paid nearly $7,000 in mortgage taxes for the privilege of buying a house, and the seller paid nearly $10,000 more in city and state transfer taxes. What’s worse is that many people don’t anticipate such large sums when they prepare to buy a home, because they forget the government has a big paw in the middle of the transaction.

States and cities need the money. They can’t borrow the way Washington can, and many municipalities have been forced to lay off teachers, cops and firefighters on account of lost tax revenue. Still, I can’t help feeling I could stimulate the economy a lot better by doing something else with that money.

All told, I could easily end up spending $30,000 this year that would have stayed in the bank if I hadn’t bought a home. (That’s in addition to the down payment on the house itself.) In a good year, about 7 million Americans buy a new or existing home, while in a bad year it’s more like 4 million. If every new home owner spent more or less what I’m spending, that’s nearly $100 billion in additional economic activity that occurs in a healthy housing market. And it happens automatically, without votes in Congress, changes in Fed policy or any policy decisions whatsoever.

No wonder the Fed would rather have me stimulate the economy than do so itself.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-exchange/why-m-draining-savings-stimulate-economy-132919961.html

redmod79
07-20-2013, 08:25 AM
can't tell if this is a serious article or not

AlexAmore
07-20-2013, 08:35 AM
He even has a book on how to "rebound" and be a success. One of the reviews of the books says:

"The "suggestions" in the book felt like a drunk man flinging metaphoric darts at a local pub."

madengr
07-20-2013, 07:06 PM
New York pays mortgage taxes and > 4% interest rates? That's crazy.

Scrapmo
07-20-2013, 08:33 PM
Dumb-ass. That is all.

Wait no that is not all. Any responsible finiancial planner is going to tell you not to buy too much house, save at least 6 months of expenses for emergency, dont incure alot of debt.

This asshole is going to enable many people who already believe spending and increasing personal debt is the only way to live in this country, the only way to obtain "the idyllic american dream". Bullshit.

And its not the first time I have heard this drivel either. My wife and I are waiting to have kids until our debts are paid off. We should be debt free within 2 years. But the sagely advice we get from friends and family is, "Why bother? Your going to be in debt the rest of your life anyways." Well as a matter of fact, Fuck You and your preconcieved notion that I have to be a debt slave the rest of my life becuase you have 3 new cars and cant possibly imagine living without them.

/rant

paulbot24
07-20-2013, 08:40 PM
Isn't this basically what Abeonomics in Japan is about right now? They're telling everybody to go out and spend money today....now...now....now. They just don't end it with "or the terrorists win" like they do here.

aGameOfThrones
07-20-2013, 09:59 PM
Why I'm letting the government violate my rights to Stimulate Security.

Here are four specific ways I’m providing stimulus:

Letting them touch my balls. Free checkup

Supporting local Tyrany. More jobs for local safety enforcers

Fattening up the pockets of the Security firms. It's patriotic

Funding Tyrany. Price of freedom

satchelmcqueen
07-20-2013, 10:01 PM
i actually have 2 friends (married to each other) that buy into this article way of thinking 100%. they were complaining on FB one time how they were spending every penny they had to boost the economy but yet they were still seeing no growth or jobs increase. they didnt "get it" they said.

Scrapmo
07-20-2013, 10:17 PM
i actually have 2 friends (married to each other) that buy into this article way of thinking 100%. they were complaining on FB one time how they were spending every penny they had to boost the economy but yet they were still seeing no growth or jobs increase. they didnt "get it" they said.

I thought Ben Bernake was the only person narccistic enough to believe he could save the entire economy single handedly.

angelatc
07-20-2013, 11:11 PM
I think he sounds pretty talented. It must be hard to write while you're under a desk fellating the Wells Fargo banker.

All told, I could easily end up spending $30,000 this year that would have stayed in the bank if I hadn’t bought a home. (That’s in addition to the down payment on the house itself.) In a good year, about 7 million Americans buy a new or existing home, while in a bad year it’s more like 4 million. If every new home owner spent more or less what I’m spending, that’s nearly $100 billion in additional economic activity that occurs in a healthy housing market. And it happens automatically, without votes in Congress, changes in Fed policy or any policy decisions whatsoever.

Yeah, unless you count the decisions not to raise interest rates as "automatic."

JessicaStone
06-22-2019, 11:05 AM
Supporting local businesses. Before I even moved into my new home, I paid a specialty firm $1,800 to remove some asbestos pipe insulation in the basement and a cleaning service $300 to thoroughly scrub the place down. It will not happen to EMOP (https://www.emop.co.uk/) I’ve also paid my contractor John Augustyn more than $2,000 so far to install recessed lighting and help with a variety of other jobs. There are other projects I’d like to do if I can afford them, so the money will probably keep flowing into the economy, rather than into my bank account.

What company have you used to make it? I work with the reliable one and their prices are not so awful as here. What have you used earlier?