PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul in Iowa: ‘America needs a revival’

tsai3904
07-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Republican Rand Paul thinks the country needs to find its way back to Christian values and the traditions of the founders, he said in Iowa today.

“What America needs is not just another politician or more promises,” he said. “What America needs is a revival.”

Paul, a U.S. senator from Kentucky and a likely 2016 presidential candidate, spoke for 25 minutes to hundreds of Iowa Christian conservative ministers this morning at a private conclave in Des Moines.

He recited his prescription for a more moral country, and that includes avoiding war, cutting off federal aid to haters of Christianity, stopping abortion and repealing Obamacare.

To an audience of about 650, Paul said some Republicans have the mistaken belief that the way for the nation to project strength is through war.

“Jesus reminds us what our goal should be when he proclaims: ‘Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God,’” Paul said. “This does not mean we never go to war. But it means we should do so reluctantly, and seek an end expeditiously.”

More:
http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2013/07/19/rand-paul-in-iowa-america-needs-a-revival

Fredom101
07-19-2013, 08:36 PM
This is where Rand completely loses me as an atheist.
I have no problem with anyone worshipping whoever/whatever they want.

But if any politician starts talking about Christian values, or any other religion's values, it rubs me wrong. It's divisive and everyone has their own interpretation of what "Christian values" means anyway, so why even bring it up? I know, I know, pandering. Yuck. :(

Brett85
07-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Where is JCDenton with his anti Christian/anti social conservatives comments? :)

Occam's Banana
07-20-2013, 01:29 AM

But if any politician starts talking about Christian values, or any other religion's values, it rubs me wrong. It's divisive and everyone has their own interpretation of what "Christian values" means anyway, so why even bring it up?

Bullshit. This nonsense is the only divisive crap I am able to detect here.

I am an igtheist who hasn't got any use at all for religion in and of itself. But I'll be damned (so to speak) if I am going to waste one single breath bitching and whining just because Rand (or anyone else) uses the word "Christian" (or any other word) to describe their values.

Who the hell cares what adjective gets stuck in front of the word "values" - do you agree with those values or not? If so, then be glad that Rand shares them. If not, then decide whether that difference is acceptable to you when considering whether Rand is worthy of your support. But whinging about Rand using the term "Christian values" is just pointlessly divisive "look at how much I don't like religious crap" bullshit.

thoughtomator
07-20-2013, 01:38 AM
this country would be improved greatly if it found a way to adhere to merely "thou shalt not kill"

Sola_Fide
07-20-2013, 01:42 AM
this country would be improved greatly if it found a way to adhere to merely "thou shalt not kill"

The only way to have a free society is for all people, rulers and private citizens, to follow the Ten Commandments.

nobody's_hero
07-20-2013, 07:03 AM
Bullshit. This nonsense is the only divisive crap I am able to detect here.

I am an igtheist who hasn't got any use at all for religion in and of itself. But I'll be damned (so to speak) if I am going to waste one single breath bitching and whining just because Rand (or anyone else) uses the word "Christian" (or any other word) to describe their values.

Who the hell cares what adjective gets stuck in front of the word "values" - do you agree with those values or not? If so, then be glad that Rand shares them. If not, then decide whether that difference is acceptable to you when considering whether Rand is worthy of your support. But whinging about Rand using the term "Christian values" is just pointlessly divisive "look at how much I don't like religious crap" bullshit.

Seconded.

Hitler believed 2+2=4. I also believed it but since Hitler believed it I guess the whole concept of math is ruined now.

Matthew5
07-20-2013, 07:48 AM
Current affairs of religion in America would suggest that a collapse is inevitable before any revival takes place. Any Christian faith that hasn't been ravaged by the entertainment industry or progressive liberalism will be the leaders of such a revival.

cajuncocoa
07-20-2013, 08:35 AM

But if any politician starts talking about Christian values, or any other religion's values, it rubs me wrong. It's divisive and everyone has their own interpretation of what "Christian values" means anyway, so why even bring it up? I know, I know, pandering. Yuck. :(It's not necessary to be a Christian to embrace Christian values.

FSP-Rebel
07-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Great to see Rand addressing the movers and shakers that are important in a GOP caucus so early on.

AJ Antimony
07-20-2013, 11:59 AM

But if any politician starts talking about Christian values, or any other religion's values, it rubs me wrong. It's divisive and everyone has their own interpretation of what "Christian values" means anyway, so why even bring it up? I know, I know, pandering. Yuck. :(

It's more constructive to blame yourself than others. Rather than blaming candidates for not catering to you, you should bring so many fellow atheists to the GOP that they will be forced to cater to you.

trey4sports
07-20-2013, 12:05 PM

he's just playing to his base. One day in the future there will be enough atheists that pol's will have to try to schmooze us too.

juleswin
07-20-2013, 12:23 PM

Plus "thou shall mind thy own business" Busy bodies are dragging this country down.

ClydeCoulter
07-20-2013, 12:23 PM
Where is JCDenton with his anti Christian/anti social conservatives comments? :)

You feeling feisty and want to "egg on" a fight, TC?

ClydeCoulter
07-20-2013, 12:28 PM
It's not necessary to be a Christian to embrace Christian values.

Another way to approach it is, values that are shared among freedom loving people all over the world that are aligned with Christian values. Coalition building.

twomp
07-20-2013, 01:30 PM
I personally don't like it either but if this is what it takes to get those evangelicals to get off the "we must spread Democracy to the middle east" bandwagon then I say Go Rand Go!

Sola_Fide
07-20-2013, 01:45 PM
There will be no enduring freedom without a people who build their life around the Ten Commandments. Hans Sennholz:

"The market order or capitalism finds its answers in the Judeo-Christian code of morality. Private ownership in production is squarely based on the Ten*Commandments. It obviously rests on the Eighth Commandment: Thou shalt not steal. The private- ownership system also builds on the solid foundation of the Sixth Commandment: Thou shalt not kill, which includes every form of coercion and violence....To freely exchange goods and services, the contracting parties must not deceive each other. They must not bear false witness, which is the Ninth Commandment of the Decalogue."

TruthisTreason
07-20-2013, 01:50 PM

Two words: Aqua Buddha. :D

Sola_Fide
07-20-2013, 01:59 PM

I liked when Ron talked about Christian values. I really liked his faith and freedom and values voters speeches from 2012. He seamlessly tied the pro-life position into the anti-war position. He explained that the Bible teaches sound money and private property. And he divorced Christianity from statism. This is how its supposed to be done.

jdcole
07-20-2013, 03:55 PM

Pandering, or knowing how to frame your message to the particular audience in front of you?

One of Ron Paul's strengths was that he was consistent in how he presented his message. However, that also happened to be his greatest weakness - he had a difficult time framing his message for the audience at hand. When Ron spoke, those of us who have heard his speeches and read his books knew what to expect, almost down to being able to quip along with him, verbatim. His message never changed, but how he presented it never did, either.

What we have Rand doing here is presenting a consistent message, content-wise, but knowing how to frame that message to the particular audience. I guarantee that is Rand was speaking at a YAL convention or to some libertarian group that the content of what he is saying (peace, cutting foreign aid, opposing abortion on grounds of the NAP and medically, and repealing Obamacare/AHCA based on economic/free market grounds) wouldn't change, but how he presented it would.

Is Rand Ron? Fuck no. But I'd take a Rand over any other stooge they prop up any day. We'll have to wait, I guess.