PDA

View Full Version : Website issues 2:17pm 11/27/07

SwordOfShannarah
11-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Hey all- just want to let you know I'm dealing with the website issues now. If the current host can't resolve this today without fail I'll be moving. This cannot be allowed to persist. I'm going to go dedicated if I have to. They are looking now for DOS attacks etc. I'll keep you updated.

Wayne Hammond
11-27-2007, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the update, Trevor. Keep us posted when you can. Sure appreciate your work, dude.

Keep up the good work on the press stuff also!

EvilEngineer
11-27-2007, 01:20 PM
It's GoDaddy, I'm having trouble with my site at the moment. Something is up with their servers, I can't even get into my management console.

Wayne Hammond
11-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Trevor - if you need more cash to upgrade the server or switch to a more reliable hosting service, let us know where we can send it. (PayPal account or whatever)

Seriously, No need to have you take on all the cost (unless you're independently wealthy!) :)

jd603
11-27-2007, 01:26 PM
I sent you an e-mail, I can give you a free server, no cost. I will also support it at no charge. Availability monitored 24/7 etc.

Hey all- just want to let you know I'm dealing with the website issues now. If the current host can't resolve this today without fail I'll be moving. This cannot be allowed to persist. I'm going to go dedicated if I have to. They are looking now for DOS attacks etc. I'll keep you updated.

reduen
11-27-2007, 01:45 PM
I sent you an e-mail, I can give you a free server, no cost. I will also support it at no charge. Availability monitored 24/7 etc.

Woot! woot!

We have a winner!! :)

Wayne Hammond
11-27-2007, 02:50 PM
Bump for those who missed Trevor's post about the problems on TeaParty07.com

AMBurns
11-27-2007, 02:51 PM
Thanks Trevor.

Menthol Patch
11-27-2007, 02:56 PM
If you need money to go dedicated please let this community know. I'm sure we will all pitch in the get you the best servers money can buy!

TheIndependent
11-27-2007, 02:57 PM
If the previous offer falls through...

Get on Rackspace. I'm sure some great people will help foot the bill and on top of that their service and reliability is LITERALLY second to none. And when something does go down, they're onto fixing it without you having to move an inch.

I can't stress Rackspace enough for community efforts. Might even be worth pooling a lot of these sites onto one super-server for about $400/mo to house them all reliably with 4GB RAM and 120GB space. Someone get a quote!

SwordOfShannarah
11-27-2007, 03:01 PM
OK- We're upgrading to a virtual dedicated server. I went with that because we can set it up and change the AName records to speed propagation within about 2 hours. This is critical because we're going to be in an article on MTVNews.com this afternoon. The tech guy is calling me back shortly, they are walking me through everything and we'll have this handled shortly.

This is costing me $404.87 so I'll put probably up a chip in if anyone can help.

I'll keep you posted..

Wayne Hammond
11-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Cool. Get it done and point us to where we can chip in for the cost.

Oh, and make sure you put all the other main sites on that dedicated server also: RudysReadingList, weekendofliberty, rightsrally07, etc.

Thanks Trevor.

Menthol Patch
11-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Hello Sword of Shannarah,

Thank you for all of your hard work!

I've read it can take days for a domain name to propagate across the internet when the servers change. How is this going to happen in two hours?

madRazor
11-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Yeah just let us know, dudebro.

SwordOfShannarah
11-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Hello Sword of Shannarah,

Thank you for all of your hard work!

I've read it can take days for a domain name to propagate across the internet when the servers change. How is this going to happen in two hours?

The AName record. This basically redirects whatever requests for the old IP to the new IP. I've done it before (but not often) and it only takes about an hour to take. So the new server will be set up in an hour and then the AName record will solve the problem an hour later.

Also - interesting to note I think- they said traffic is soaring right now.. not sure about signs ups though.. I'm going to update all that info now. But hey- no matter what people are learning about Ron Paul.

jd603
11-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Correct, the TTL is 1 hour, this is not too bad, they did that right.

Hopefully the VPS server they put you on is not overloaded otherwise you could still run into issues. I was going put you on a server with only a few low traffic sites or your own dedicated server so if you still run into issues you can move it over here quickly.

-> teaparty07.com
internet address = 208.109.181.30
ttl = 3600 (1 hour)

Wayne Hammond
11-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Also - interesting to note I think- they said traffic is soaring right now.. not sure about signs ups though.. I'm going to update all that info now. But hey- no matter what people are learning about Ron Paul.

Good.

Trevor - Did you do something today to cause all that traffic to TeaParty07.com? :)

How's the press stuff coming?

rmcadams
11-27-2007, 03:15 PM
I'm already hosting a bunch of sites for people from this forum...

I can offer you hosting also. I've got a colocation full of servers in Texas.

Thanks,
Ryan

voytechs
11-27-2007, 03:20 PM
If you guys ever need help troubleshooting networks or security I can help. I do that kind of stuff for a living. I can help with the routing and DOS attacks too.

Probably worth designing it properly though with 2 dedicated webservers up front with a content switch in between and the database on a 3rd server. A good service provider can lease this type of network gear. This will allow us to pool all the sites from a single redundant location.

If we are forming a PAC we can even setup a VPN link wit RP08 PCC headquarters. This way we'd have direct connectivity. I can help design all this if we want to go that route.

ASayre
11-27-2007, 03:21 PM
Please see PM :)

jd603
11-27-2007, 03:24 PM
This set-up you describe doesn't have multi-facility redundancy, which can be easily achieved in DNS and we can utilize multiple data centers.

Ahh forget I give up, this is a waste of my energy now, lets just sit back and hope that his new VPS doesn't get overloaded.

If you guys ever need help troubleshooting networks or security I can help. I do that kind of stuff for a living. I can help with the routing and DOS attacks too.

Probably worth designing it properly though with 2 dedicated webservers up front with a content switch in between and the database on a 3rd server. A good service provider can lease this type of network gear. This will allow us to pool all the sites from a single redundant location.

If we are forming a PAC we can even setup a VPN link wit RP08 PCC headquarters. This way we'd have direct connectivity. I can help design all this if we want to go that route.

Wayne Hammond
11-27-2007, 03:28 PM
I'm already hosting a bunch of sites for people from this forum...
I can offer you hosting also. I've got a colocation full of servers in Texas.
Thanks,
Ryan

I think it's cool that so many people are stepping up with offers of free hosting. Nice gesture-- and it shows our strength.

But, knowing our forums members, (we're a group of paranoid people, 'ya know) :eek:... no one is going to want a relatively new, unproven forum member to host the web site. Heck, some people even question Trevor's motives, and he's the one who was the webmaster for the Nov. 5th web site. :D

I know there are many here who could "vouch" for the sincerity of other members who offer servers or hosting, but no matter what, the majority of people here probably wouldn't feel totally comfortable about Trevor giving server control or access over to someone whom he does not know personally (like someone we only know through these forums).

If need be, maybe Nathaniel Yao can be given access - after all, he's the owner of the teaparty07.com domain, and we all trust him, since all he has to do to mess things up is re-direct the domain to whatever server he wants, regardless of what we (or Trevor) desires.

jd603
11-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Right, paranoid. I'm not a new forum member, Ive been cranking since early Summer. :) Also, he maintains control of the domains themselves, so if I were to pull any crap or fail at hosting, he can switch providers in under an hour, that simple. As long as he doesn't give access to his registrar and updates the name server for his domain himself.

I think it's cool that so many people are stepping up with offers of free hosting. Nice gesture-- and it shows our strength.

But, knowing our forums members, (we're a group of paranoid people, 'ya know) :eek:... no one is going to want a relatively new, unproven forum member to host the web site. Heck, some people even question Trevor's motives, and he's the one who was the webmaster for the Nov. 5th web site. :D

I know there are many here who could "vouch" for the sincerity of other members who offer servers or hosting, but no matter what, the majority of people here probably wouldn't feel totally comfortable about Trevor giving server control or access over to someone whom he does not know personally (like someone we only know through these forums).

If need be, maybe Nathaniel Yao can be given access - after all, he's the owner of the teaparty07.com domain, and we all trust him, since all he has to do to mess things up is re-direct the domain to whatever server he wants, regardless of what we (or Trevor) desires.

Wayne Hammond
11-27-2007, 03:34 PM
Right, paranoid. I'm not a new forum member, Ive been cranking since early Summer. :) Also, he maintains control of the domains themselves, so if I were to pull any crap or fail at hosting, he can switch providers in under an hour, that simple. As long as he doesn't give access to his registrar and updates the name server for his domain himself.

Wasn't really directed at you, JD. I was responding to the new member who posted for the first time ever in this thread, offering to host the site. I understand what you're saying. I'm just saying there are a lot of forum members who don't know you, and would question it. :)

ASayre
11-27-2007, 03:34 PM

Even though my forum acct (Do I get bonus points for organizing the Santa Barbara Meetup?) has only 80 some posts, I can vouch for Ryan/rmcadams - A former Marine who maxed out on the 5th.

Wayne Hammond
11-27-2007, 03:40 PM
Off topic, but...

Replay of Trevor's interview today on Alex Jones right now...

high bandwidth stream: http://www.nfowars.net:443/stream1.pls

or

low bandwidth stream: http://www.nfowars.net:443/stream2.pls

jd603
11-27-2007, 03:46 PM
Forgot to mention my business is in NH and hosting some RP grass roots sites here would garner extra coverage in the NH press. ! ! ! , wait, why am I here again, I said I was giving up. heh

Wayne Hammond
11-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Off topic, but...

Replay of Trevor's interview today on Alex Jones right now...

high bandwidth stream: http://www.nfowars.net:443/stream1.pls

or

low bandwidth stream: http://www.nfowars.net:443/stream2.pls

For those who missed it, the interview will be played again, if you tune into the streams above. Alex re-streams the day's program on a 24 hour loop. You should be able to hear Trevor again in about 2 1/2 hours on those streams.

Menthol Patch
11-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Is there any proof that it was a denial of service attack?

JordanL
11-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Forgot to mention my business is in NH and hosting some RP grass roots sites here would garner extra coverage in the NH press. ! ! ! , wait, why am I here again, I said I was giving up. heh

:/

Yeah... I wish we could just get these on real hosts. I offered when the site was setting up. People stay with what they're comfortable with though... though I shudder knowing that the grassroots depends on GoDaddy.

American
11-27-2007, 05:05 PM
I dont have anything special, I do have an account with hostgator which i've never had a problem but it is a shared hosting account. My offer is also there if needed.

This site really should be a dedicated server though.

Menthol Patch
11-27-2007, 05:11 PM
Do we have proof that this was a DOS attack?

jd603
11-27-2007, 05:17 PM
I doubt it was.... it didn't appear to be one anyway.

Is there any proof that it was a denial of service attack?

SwordOfShannarah
11-27-2007, 05:29 PM
OK so another update..

First off, ultimately we're getting off GoDaddy.com. That should make everyone feel better.

For the fastest solution to the downtime we're experiencing..

I've set up two new accounts and will give each domain it's own account. The problem is not bandwidth but concurrent users.. we're getting a lot of them. So with each site set up for 150 concurrent users the problems we're having right now will be solved. But right now all three sites are sharing 150 concurrent users. The fastest solution is the one I'm going with now.. but ultimately we'll be getting a dedicated server that can handle everything we're dealing with.

From what I understand Elijah has been talking with Joey from RonPaulRadio.com. They are obviously well known and can be trusted (not that others can't be it's just they are verified). They are already planning on taking RonPaulBlimp.com so I'm going to see if they can help with a dedicated plan.

Again- these new plans are being set up now, they won't take long, then I'll switch off two sites to the new accounts and our immediate problems will be solved. Each site will have the same plan that ThisNovember5th.com had on the day of the donation drive and afterwards. Those days went perfectly with no website problems.

It won't be long now.. I'm very sorry for this. It's totally... well... LAME!!! But at least it shows the concepts we have are getting attention and to be honest we're just getting started in terms of publicity. We've got plenty more to come.. :D

- I'm going to start a new thread for this post actually- updated to current time so everyone can see it and not be so worried.

anewvoice
11-28-2007, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the update.