PDA

View Full Version : Woman handcuffed and left on ground as police thought she was a drunk driver...

donnay
07-19-2013, 08:55 AM
Woman handcuffed and left on ground as police thought she was a drunk driver - but she was almost dead from diabetic shock

Police have admitted they need more training after a Santa Fe woman suffering a diabetic seizure was handcuffed and 'roughly' thrown into the back of a police car because officers thought she was drunk.

Revina Garcia said she was lucky she didn't fall into a diabetic coma when she was pulled out of her car, pushed to the ground and handcuffed by police after she rear-ended a pick-up truck on Paseo Real near the N.M. 599 intersection in New Mexico on Friday.

While Garcia, 56, was wearing an insulin pump on her waistband, police only called emergency services after the 'disoriented' woman managed to mumble that she was diabetic.

According to a police report obtained by Santa Fe New Mexican, Santa Fe County sheriff's deputy Joseph McLaughlin asked Garcia to put her vehicle in park, turn off the ignition and unlock the door or window.

But when she didn't comply after 'multiple requests' and tried to drive off twice, a second deputy broke one of the car's windows.

McLaughlin then reached in and switched off the car's ignition, undid Garcia's seat belt and removed her from the 2013 Hyundai.

The officers then threw Garcia to the ground and handcuffed her.

'I did not detect the odor of an alcoholic beverage, but Garcia did seem to be very disoriented,' the report said.

'When asked [why] she did not comply with my requests she replied ‘I’m sorry.’'

According to Santa Fe New Mexican, police believed Garcia then 'mumbled something about being diabetic' before the officers realized they should call paramedics who said she was 'suffering from a diabetic emergency'.

Garcia told Koat Action 7 News she believed officers thought she was a drunk driver, but should have known she was diabetic from the insulin pump clipped to her waistband.

She said law enforcers must receive more training to recognize when someone needs medical care.

'I'm surprised I didn't go into a coma in the back of that police car,' she said.

'Most people if their blood sugars are in the 20s are comatose.

'If there's education this wouldn't happen. This wouldn't have happened.'

Santa Fe County sheriff Robert Garcia told Santa Fe New Mexican his office is 'sensitive to the issue' and officers receive training in how to recognize diabetic attacks, but 'in a situation like this, things happen fast'.

He said his office is reviewing incident footage and conducting an internal review in addition to meeting with Revina Garcia and her husband.

'We are looking into it. It’s not something we are just going to blow off and not deal with,' he said.

'We have to refresh our law enforcement personnel on this issue.'

Source:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2370226/Woman-handcuffed-left-ground-police-thought-drunk-driver--dead-diabetic-shock.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Cap
07-19-2013, 09:14 AM
'We have to refresh our law enforcement personnel on this issue.'
Ya think?

aGameOfThrones
07-19-2013, 09:15 AM
'If there's education this wouldn't happen. This wouldn't have happened.'

When Officer safety and contempt of cop are paramount, no amount of mundane training will help.

donnay
07-19-2013, 09:15 AM
I would like to see it dismantled and banned. We don't need no stinkin' clowns with badges on power trips! They do not protect and serve the people. They protect and serve the Banksters.

presence
07-19-2013, 09:17 AM
But if it was a drunk...

well...

nothing to see here, perfectly good reason to rough up a mundane.

Anti Federalist
07-19-2013, 09:18 AM
'We are looking into it. It’s not something we are just going to blow off and not deal with,' he said.

Yeah, I bet you are.

Well, she should consider herself lucky that they didn't throw her in jail cell and leave her to die in her own piss, like they did to this man, who was not drunk, but dying of a stroke.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?421383-FL-Family-wins-1m-suit-Cops-arrest-and-jail-man-having-stroke-leave-him-to-die-in-cell

Zero Tolerance, assholes.

mrsat_98
07-19-2013, 09:46 AM
I would like to see it dismantled and banned. We don't need no stinkin' clowns with badges on power trips! They do not protect and serve the people. They protect and serve the Banksters.

Dude the people ratified said constitution to create a government that would take care of things and protect them from mundanes and other animals. If the people had not done this, there would be nothing left in the event they ( the people) ever return. geeeze when will you guys ever figure this out.

Pericles
07-19-2013, 10:03 AM
When Officer safety and contempt of cop are paramount, no amount of mundane training will help.

To Protect (themselves) and Serve (themselves).

surf
07-19-2013, 10:05 AM
I've been a diabetic most of my life and have had two hypoglycemic accidents driving a vehicle. the symptoms are quite similar to a drunk, w/o the alcohol smell. I've been fortunate to have been treated for low blood sugar both times, though the cops were called to investigate a "drunk driver" the second time. often one can't talk with hypoglycemia, has little control of body movements, can become quite strong, etc. while parts of your brain are effectively being eaten to provide sugar.

most of us wear some sort of identification device, and an insulin pump would be fairly easy to spot.

imo (and I hate spending tax dollars to do this), but this seems to be one of those protect-the-citizens kind of duties that cops and EMTs are supposed to do. w/mixed feelings about "more training" for these thugs in badges, the problem again comes down to the attitude held by the majority of our LEOs that people-are-no-good (Harry Browne's PANG theory). hence, the first reaction is to assume a disrespecting surly drunk rather than someone with a medical condition.

brandon
07-19-2013, 10:07 AM
But if it was a drunk...

well...

If it was a disoriented drunk who already caused an accident and is trying to drive away from the scene they probably should have their ass kicked. At the least use whatever force is necessary to stop them.

SeanTX
07-19-2013, 10:21 AM
But if it was a drunk...

well...

Yeah, if she was drunk it would have been open season for them to do whatever they wanted to her -- and the Bubbas would be cheering and laughing while watching the dash cam video.

People have been okay with cops doing that to "bad guys" for so long that now they are being a little less selective and giving the "treatment" to everybody (old ladies who "mouth off", college girls who dare to walk near a cop, etc).

Anti Federalist
07-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Yeah, if she was drunk it would have been open season for them to do whatever they wanted to her -- and the Bubbas would be cheering and laughing while watching the dash cam video.

People have been okay with cops doing that to "bad guys" for so long that now they are being a little less selective and giving the "treatment" to everybody (old ladies who "mouth off", college girls who dare to walk near a cop, etc).

Freedom!

'MuriKa!

*belch*