PDA

View Full Version : Amber alert wakes thousands of New Yorkers at 3:51 a.m.

tangent4ronpaul
07-17-2013, 06:17 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/amber-alert-wakes-thousand-new-york-sparking-debate-article-1.1401466

Thousands of New Yorkers were woken up by an amber alert issued at 3:51 a.m. by New York State Police after a 7-month-old boy was taken from a Harlem social services center by his biological mother.

Is it a needless interruption, or a valuable life-saving tool?

Thousands of New Yorkers were awoken early Wednesday morning when their cell phones began blaring because of an amber alert notifying them of a missing child.

Accompanied by the screeching tones employed by the emergency broadcast system, a message appeared on cell phones across the five boroughs that read, “3:51 am AMBER Alert Manhattan, NY Amber Alert UPDATE: LIC/GEX1377 (NY) (1995) Tan Lexis ES300.”

New York police said that a 7-month-old boy had been snatched by his biological mother, Marina Lopez, 25, from a Harlem social service facility on Tuesday afternoon. Lopez, who police said was bipolar, was deemed a threat to the child’s well-being, and and the cell phone Amber alert was issued in New York City for just the third time in the past year.

“When a child under the age of 18 has been abducted and is in imminent danger of death or serious harm, immediacy can help save lives,” a public information officer for the New York State Police, which issued the alert, told the Daily News in an email.

By Wednesday afternoon, the boy had been located and returned unharmed to the Harlem facility where he lives, police said, leaving some residents to question whether the automatic alert was necessary.

“While I am sensitive to the importance of Amber alerts, a 4 a.m. emergency alarm, causing momentary panic and ruining a night's sleep over a domestic matter involving a child and his biological mother seems way over the top,” Brooklyn resident Sam Erickson, 46, told the Daily News. “I know that the federal government added amber alerts to the list of things that would be blasted out on the system but either that is a bad idea or they need to be more selective about which ones and when.”

Others were more sympathetic to the Wireless Emergency Alert program

“I actually thought ‘oh wow, that’s a great tool that it sends out a text message.’ I didn’t even realize I was signed up for that so, there you go,” Jacqueline Kirwin, 24, said. “I thought it was helpful and it’s a good way to reach the masses. Everyone has their cell phone and everybody has it nearby and it’s, I think it’s a good thing.”

Brooklyn mother Rebecca Bauer, 45, agrees.

“I thought it was spam. Then I got a second. Scared the crap out of me.” Bauer said. “ I get extreme weather alerts, why not that?”

Many New Yorkers do not realize that if they purchased a cell phone after 2011, it is automatically set to receive the emergency alerts, such as those issued during Hurricane Sandy. Those, too, however, can be altered.

“Cell phone users can opt out of receiving WEA messages,” the New York State Police told the News. “ Most cell phones are now automatically enabled depending on your cell phone provider. For instructions on how to opt out of the program, customers should contact their cell phone provider.”

-t

Dr.3D
07-17-2013, 06:23 PM
Hell, the kid was with his biological mother. There wasn't any emergency! Well, yeah... I guess there was if somebody wanted to make sure he stayed with her.

Antischism
I didn't get any alert on my phone last night. As long as people who are affected can opt out, I don't see a problem.

JoshLowry
If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have the key to the universe.

3:51 adds up to 9, I think we're on to something here.

Dr.3D
07-17-2013, 06:25 PM

Tesla was all about resonance.

:D

Dr.3D
07-17-2013, 06:27 PM
LOL, I got to vote twice.

JK/SEA
07-17-2013, 06:28 PM
Should have it rigged up to have everyones lights to blink on and off .

ClydeCoulter
07-17-2013, 06:29 PM

And 42 is evenly divisible by 3 and 6 by not by nine, hmmmm.

kahless
07-17-2013, 06:38 PM
Luckily I left the phone in the other room so did not wake or see it until I got up.

talkingpointes
07-17-2013, 06:41 PM
I actually wake at 4am everyday already. I would be glad, I was late today...

Brian4Liberty
07-17-2013, 06:45 PM
Thousands of New Yorkers were woken up by an amber alert issued at 3:51 a.m. by New York State Police after a 7-month-old boy was taken from a Harlem social services center by his biological mother.

That's the insanity. Leave it to the government to abuse power and pervert the intent of the law. Amber alerts were supposed to be for stranger abductions. Instead, they are mostly used for custody issues.

paulbot24
07-17-2013, 06:45 PM
“Cell phone users can opt out of receiving WEA messages,” the New York State Police told the News. “ Most cell phones are now automatically enabled depending on your cell phone provider. For instructions on how to opt out of the program, customers should contact their cell phone provider.”

"However, cell phone users cannot opt out of the intrusive surveillance, data mining, and wiretapping programs currently enforced by the NSA. Most cell phones are currently automatically enabled to spy on their owners, regardless of which crony cell phone provider they use. For further details about these unconstitutional programs, customers should await further instructions from Edward Snowden."

mad cow
07-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Nikola Tesla
If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have the key to the universe.

The monkey chewed tobacco on the streetcar line?

Anti Federalist
07-17-2013, 07:24 PM

"However, cell phone users cannot opt out of the intrusive surveillance, data mining, and wiretapping programs currently enforced by the NSA. Most cell phones are currently automatically enabled to spy on their owners, regardless of which crony cell phone provider they use. For further details about these unconstitutional programs, customers should await further instructions from Edward Snowden."

Have a rep!

Dr.3D
07-17-2013, 07:25 PM
Is that how he lost his tail?

Carson
07-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Did the kidnappers recover their victim?

Henry Rogue
07-17-2013, 07:35 PM
3:51 adds up to 9, I think we're on to something here.:confused: Is that from another thread?

Dr.3D
07-17-2013, 07:38 PM
:confused: Is that from another thread?

The alert happened at 3:51 am....

puppetmaster
07-17-2013, 08:09 PM
You can't opt out of the one from the prez.........he owns you.

And no more battery removal options....

Henry Rogue
07-17-2013, 08:19 PM
The alert happened at 3:51 am.... I should have quoted this part v
Originally Posted by Nikola Tesla
If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have the key to the universe. I'm guessing there is a joke there, i am just not sure what it is all about.

liberty2897
07-17-2013, 08:31 PM
I should have quoted this part v I'm guessing there is a joke there, i am just not sure what it is all about.

Your post made me curious. I didn't verify that this actually a quote from Nikola Telsa, but I saw a few references to it, so maybe?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100611215018AABTDrv

“If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you'd have the key to the universe" -Nikola Tesla?
what is the meaning of this quote by Nikola Tesla?

mad cow
07-17-2013, 08:35 PM
I'm sticking with my answer,Josh hasn't refuted it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWuSPPLtkEQ

Dr.3D
07-17-2013, 08:39 PM
I should have quoted this part v I'm guessing there is a joke there, i am just not sure what it is all about.
I believe it's just that Tesla liked 3, 6 and 9.

JoshLowry
07-17-2013, 08:39 PM

How am I supposed to refute a word salad?

mad cow
07-17-2013, 08:41 PM
How am I supposed to refute a word salad?

That she would buy me,a rubber dolly? :confused:

Henry Rogue
07-17-2013, 08:43 PM
I'm sticking with my answer,Josh hasn't refuted it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWuSPPLtkEQ Oh, I get it now 3 , 6, 9 causes the clap.

KEEF
07-17-2013, 08:51 PM
Holy Shit, when you add up all of the numbers of my house address (11136), it equals 9. My house is the fuckin key to the universe, making me the Master of the Universe. :D Sweet I am HE-MAN!

JoshLowry
07-17-2013, 08:53 PM
That she would buy me,a rubber dolly? :confused:

Cryptography!

Matt Collins
07-17-2013, 10:02 PM
I was hanging with Glenn Jacobs and a mutual friend in Nashville a few weeks back, and their phones both started screaming this 1k tone at full blast. It startled all of us in the room. So they pulled out their phone and apparently it was an amber alert in the area that they live in (over 200+ miles away from where they were sitting). We all just rolled our eyes and thought outloud "well this is what happens when you put the government in charge of the cell phone network"....

JoshLowry
07-17-2013, 10:24 PM
Holy Shit, when you add up all of the numbers of my house address (11136), it equals 9. My house is the fuckin key to the universe, making me the Master of the Universe. :D Sweet I am HE-MAN!

Tesla would probably tell you that it equals twelve and then go down the street.

osan
07-18-2013, 06:50 AM
And people scoffed when others suggested the world of 1984 was nigh upon us.

Conditioning. It is all about operant conditioning.

Ever see movies like "Brazil", "Fifth Element", "Robocop", GATTACA", "Minority Report", and so forth? That is not where we are headed. It is where we have arrived.

Worse yet is that this is nothing compared to what we stand to see foisted upon us before much longer.

Note also how you child is not your child anymore. Twenty five years ago I was half-seriously quipping how the day would come that people will flee the USA to places like Russia in order to be less enslaved. The day is here. Wow.

SeanTX
07-18-2013, 09:13 AM
Could be worse, here locally a few years back some toddler got out of her house and was found wandering the streets at 3am . The sheriff's department handled this by going door-to-door at 3:30 am pounding on doors throughout that entire neighborhood. I can't imagine being woken up like that, and I don't want those people coming to my door anyway unless they have direct business with me.

They should have just kept the kid and waited for the parent(s) to come forward looking for it -- or if they had to go door-to-door could have at least waited a few hours. I didn't know they had an obligation to provide an immediate return service for neglectful parents -- I think they just saw it as an opportunity to throw their weight around by searching an entire neighborhood and scaring the hell out of people over nothing.

dannno
07-18-2013, 09:17 AM
I would be pissed under the circumstances outlined in the OP, but if a child in my community was actually kidnapped by a stranger I don't think I would be pissed if they broadcast it.

Pericles
07-18-2013, 09:23 AM
When I was in the Army, I used to get calls at 3:51 in the morning to practice deploying against the forces of evil and fighting tyranny. Call me at 3:51 in the morning, and old habits may come back from the recesses of my mind.

QuickZ06
07-18-2013, 04:45 PM
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/9864/0cjh.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/196/0cjh.png/)