PDA

View Full Version : REDDIT bails on /r/atheism -- and /r/politics

green73
07-17-2013, 05:31 PM
via Drudge, this is the pic featured in the blog post from reddit:

http://i.imgur.com/nycukyO.gif

excerpt:

We know many of you will wonder what happened to /r/politics and /r/atheism and why they were removed from the default set. We could give you a canned corporate answer or a diplomatic answer that is carefully crafted for the situation. But since this is reddit, we’re going to try things a bit differently and give you the real answer: they just weren't up to snuff. Now, don't get us wrong, there still ARE good parts about them. Overall, they just haven't continued to grow and evolve like the other subreddits we've decided to add.

http://blog.reddit.com/2013/07/new-default-subreddits-omgomgomg.html

Scrapmo
07-17-2013, 05:44 PM
That is mesmerizing.

ronpaulfollower999
07-17-2013, 06:31 PM
I see that Ron Paul image posted everywhere. Even on non-US forums that have nothing to do with politics. Makes me smile, and wonder if they (person posting meme) know who that man is.

eduardo89
07-17-2013, 06:41 PM
/politics is still up. i just posted there.

green73
07-17-2013, 06:43 PM
/politics is still up. i just posted there.

They've been removed from the front page.

eduardo89
07-17-2013, 06:44 PM
They've been removed from the front page.

Ohhh ok. Cool?

green73
07-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Ohhh ok. Cool?

It is cool. Why the hell was atheism ever there to begin with? r/politics is a corrupt leftist op, so yeah that's cool.

juleswin
07-17-2013, 06:53 PM
Youtube did the same thing with youtube politics page, now you cannot access from the list of video genres. Sorta the same is happening with yahoo/politics, they changed the US layout in such a way that one cannot select specific news for different world zone with the mouse. You have to type news.yahoo.com/middle-east/ to access middle east news, same for North A, Africa etc. That or you go to Canadian version of yahoo which is still using the old format

phill4paul
07-17-2013, 06:55 PM
JUST DON'T TAKE AWAY TEH /jailbait. :p

green73
07-17-2013, 06:57 PM

or /awkward boners. HB would be devastated.

JCDenton0451
07-17-2013, 06:58 PM
This seems like a big deal for you, green73. You think reddit front page is better now, without a link to atheist subforum?

eduardo89
07-17-2013, 07:00 PM

http://i.imgur.com/XO7i5J8.jpg

heavenlyboy34
07-17-2013, 07:04 PM
or /awkward boners. HB would be devastated.
Why would I care about that just because you like it?

green73
07-17-2013, 07:05 PM
This seems like a big deal for you, green73. You think reddit front page is better now, without a link to atheist subforum?

Absolutely, and I'm only an agnostic.

JCDenton0451
07-17-2013, 07:13 PM
Absolutely, and I'm only an agnostic.

Technically, every "agnostic" is atheist. If you don't follow any specific set of religious beliefs, but wouldn't reject the possibility of some supernatural being(s) existing in principle, that makes you agnostic atheist.

green73
07-17-2013, 07:15 PM
Technically, every "agnostic" is atheist. If you don't follow any specific set of religious beliefs, but wouldn't reject the possibility of some supernatural being(s) existing in principle, that makes you agnostic atheist.

ok?

green73
07-17-2013, 07:18 PM
I still hate virulent atheists. Presumptuous bastards.

dillo
07-17-2013, 07:21 PM
Its Funny Because The Past Week Has Been Pro Zimmerman Threads And People Waking Up To The Demon Obama. Guess It Wasn't A Leftist Honeypot Anymore. Shut It Down

phill4paul
07-17-2013, 07:27 PM

I hate virulence in general excepting in the cause of liberty.

JCDenton0451
07-17-2013, 07:29 PM

They are not nearly as bad as fundamentalist Christians and Muslims and Jews.

brandon
07-17-2013, 07:36 PM
Www.Isithappening.info

green73
07-17-2013, 07:44 PM

I would disagree. Their god tends to be the state--which also is an enemy of the church.

liberty2897
07-17-2013, 08:06 PM

With that definition, I would have to be considered an agnostic athiest as well. Not sure that definition is correct though. I don't see any evidence that a particular God exists, but I do realize that there is much more to life and universe than we will ever know. I can't rule out anything. Consciousness is a pretty crazy concept to think about. Matter/Energy becoming self-aware. I think you would be a fool to rule out the existence of higher (intelligent) powers.

Here are some other definitions. I'm sure there are more...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities. Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism
In some senses, agnosticism is a stance about the difference between belief and knowledge, rather than about any specific claim or belief. In the popular sense, an agnostic is someone who neither believes nor disbelieves in the existence of a deity or deities, whereas a theist and an atheist believe and disbelieve, respectively. In the strict sense, however, agnosticism is the view that humanity does not currently possess the requisite knowledge and/or reason to provide sufficient rational grounds to justify the belief that deities either do or do not exist.

ronpaulfollower999
07-17-2013, 08:07 PM
Www.Isithappening.info

Reading lips, I finally figured out where that gif is from.

"Oh yeah, I need to government to take care of me, I don’t want to use heroin so I need these laws!"

Classic Ron Paul moment.

Occam's Banana
07-17-2013, 08:57 PM

Oh, yes they are. They are every bit as bad. Irrational and hateful zealots are irrational and hateful zealots - regardless of whether they are theistic or atheistic. A pox on them all and save the rest of us (rational and/or decent theists, atheists, agnostics and igtheists) from them.

Some of the most viciously hateful people whose spitefully venomous spewings it has ever been my misfortune to encounter have been "fundamentalist" atheists - especially those of the militantly "anti-creationist" variety (whose only use for science - and especially the theory of evolution - seems to be as a hammer with which to gleefully bash religionists).

And I say this as an atheist-cum-igtheist who accepts the theory of evolution, has no use for creationism and embraces science.

paulbot24
07-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Some of the most viciously hateful people whose spitefully venemous spewings it has ever been my misfortune to encounter have been "fundamentalist" atheists - especially those of the militantly "anti-creationist" variety (whose only use for science - and especially the theory of evolution - seems to be as a hammer with which to gleefully bash religionists).

http://donkeykongmuseum.com/history/_picts/mario-pixel-300.gif

LOL! I like Asimov's "Relativity of Wrong" essay when talking to those types. Here's a funny write-up about it.

Link (http://chem.tufts.edu/answersinscience/relativityofwrong.htm)

Tor_Hershman
07-19-2013, 07:25 AM
As an Atheist, this video expresses me wee view...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m6qC6FCiY0

BuddyRey
07-19-2013, 08:15 AM
Though not an atheist myself, most everyday atheists are totally cool in my book. State-theists, however, are not! And unfortunately, a lot of the people who pass themselves off as atheist intellectuals are just people who want to replace a celestial God with several legislative ones.