PDA

View Full Version : SYG vs Self Defense?

Philmanoman
07-16-2013, 10:23 PM
Im curious if one of the reasons Zimmermans lawyer went the Self Defense route was in anticipation of the protests and possibly the govt getting involved by screaming their heads off that Zm was acquitted because of SYG(Stand Your Ground).
Was it a good move on his part or will it come back to haunt him?

Any thoughts?

eduardo89
07-16-2013, 10:33 PM
Stand your ground did not apply in this case. Stand your ground applies when you have the possibility to leave the scene, which Zimmerman did not. It's hard to leave the scene when you have some thug on top of you bashing your head into the pavement.

Philmanoman
07-16-2013, 10:49 PM
I didnt really pose the question right.I should of left part of the 1st sentence out.it wasnt well thought out on my part. lol

The media and the govt is out there saying he was acquitted on the basis of SYG but his defense never cited SYG for obvious reasons.Now the protestors are yelling about SYG too.Does this benefit Zimmerman or his lawyer,could this hurt them or is it irrelevant in moving forward? Its not surprising that the current AG doesnt know the difference between the two but it is a bit frightening.lol

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
07-17-2013, 06:47 AM
Its not surprising that the current AG doesnt know the difference between the two but it is a bit frightening.lol

The AG is well aware.

fisharmor
07-17-2013, 07:11 AM
The AG is well aware.

Perhaps in the sense that people are aware that the floor exerts pressure on the bottoms of their feet when they walk.
Everyone knows this is the case, but the vast majority simply discard that information.

The AG might be aware, but I'd bet the rent that he just doesn't consider it important.

brandon
07-17-2013, 07:21 AM
Correct answer hasnt been posted yet. There are a few reasons.

One, in a stand your ground trial there is no jury; The judge alone decides your fate. Two, you can only use a stand your ground defense once. It is my understanding that the defense was planning to use the stand your ground defense if they had to appeal.