PDA

View Full Version : The Ben Swann Song

WhistlinDave
07-14-2013, 11:57 PM
Hey everybody! The other day I started singing to myself and this song just spilled out of me. So I started writing it down. Since I don't have a ton of money myself to contribute to Ben's Liberty Is Rising Truth In Media project, I decided to record the song and put it out there on YouTube with a link to his kickstarter project. It's not much but it's my little contribution to the effort. I know it's late in the game too; wish I would've had this inspiration a few weeks ago!

Anyway, if you like it, please share this video around. If you're posting it on a site where the video description doesn't show up (like Facebook or Twitter or whatever), please be sure to grab the link to Ben's kickstarter and post that together along with the video.

Ben's kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/439668500/liberty-is-rising-truth-in-media-project-0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9QKQXqRskI

Please let me know what you all think of my crazy song... LOL I'm on here less often these days but I'll be sure to pop back in and read your critiques. :D

TaftFan
07-14-2013, 11:59 PM
Outstanding!

WhistlinDave
07-15-2013, 12:12 AM
Thanks!

Tod
07-15-2013, 12:48 AM
shared on FB. What talent!

RDM
07-15-2013, 12:49 AM
This is a great contribution and something I want to address further. Some of you may remember my post a week ago about the Liberty Movement becoming a bowel movement, and of course got mixed reactions. Well, THIS is the kind of stuff the Liberty movement should be doing. No, not writing songs or singing (unless you're that talented) but contributing in some way somehow. One thing this Liberty Movement has is a bunch of "keyboard commandos" who are afraid to get their manicured hands dirty. What I mean is everyone, and I mean everyone can contribute to pushing something and it doesn't ALWAYS have to involve money. Obviously, people on this forum like to post. It's evident sometimes by some of those same people that like to sabotage a promotion or a event or cause. Instead, put that same energy in promoting. A thousand man army is more powerful than a five man squad. Well post something, some where else to promote something instead of whining and complaining and destroying someone's efforts. Ok, I'm off my soapbox. Have at it.

WhistlinDave
07-15-2013, 12:53 AM
shared on FB. What talent!

Thanks!!

WhistlinDave
07-15-2013, 12:59 AM
This is a great contribution and something I want to address further. Some of you may remember my post a week ago about the Liberty Movement becoming a bowel movement, and of course got mixed reactions. Well, THIS is the kind of stuff the Liberty movement should be doing. No, not writing songs or singing (unless you're that talented) but contributing in some way somehow. One thing this Liberty Movement has is a bunch of "keyboard commandos" who are afraid to get their pedicured hands dirty. What I mean is everyone, and I mean everyone can contribute to pushing something and it doesn't ALWAYS have to involve money. Obviously, people on this forum like to post. It's evident sometimes by some of those same people that like to sabotage a promotion or a event or cause. Instead, put that same energy in promoting. A thousand man army is more powerful than a five man squad. Well post something, some where else to promote something instead of whining and complaining and destroying someone's efforts. Ok, I'm off my soapbox. Have at it.

Thanks! It's funny you say this... Because part of me was afraid to make the video. I thought all kinds of ridiculous things, like "This is going to alienate my regular viewers on YouTube."
And "This is really going to piss off my wife."
And, "Maybe I'll end up on the list too..."
And even, "Nobody likes barbershop quartet music... I don't even listen to barbershop quartet stuff. Does anyone? Where the hell did this song come from??"

And then I couldn't get the one verse out of my head, the one that says "Wake the sheep and the chickens gettin' fleeced and plucked, 'cause under this government, we're all fuuu...."

And I decided I am neither a sheep nor a chicken. So I recorded it, made the video, and there it is. And I almost feel like the thing wrote itself and my job was just to make it happen. I hope others might take some inspiration from it, just like you said. We need to do stuff!! Whatever we're able to!! :)

Occam's Banana
07-15-2013, 01:02 AM
I LOLed. I cried. I watched it again. I tweeted this thread. Brilliant!

WhistlinDave
07-15-2013, 01:03 AM
I LOLed. I cried. I watched it again. I tweeted this thread. Brilliant!

Thanks OB!! I'm glad you guys like it, really wasn't sure what the reaction would be. (I mean, I like it, but I like some weird stuff sometimes.)

WhistlinDave
07-15-2013, 01:04 AM
//

goRPaul
07-15-2013, 01:14 AM
Hilarious! Facebooked it. Thanks for sharing.

WhistlinDave
07-15-2013, 01:23 AM
Hilarious! Facebooked it. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!

QuickZ06
07-15-2013, 01:26 AM
Holy Toledo, Excellent job man! Very catchy.

WhistlinDave
07-15-2013, 01:30 AM
Holy Toledo, Excellent job man! Very catchy.

LOL Thanks!! :D

Barrex
07-15-2013, 04:01 AM
Me like.

Barrex, keyboard commando

Cap
07-15-2013, 04:08 AM
Good stuff Dave!

LibertyEagle
07-15-2013, 04:13 AM
Way cool, Dave! :)

kathy88
07-15-2013, 05:35 AM
That was SO totally awesome Dave. You have a gift.

talkingpointes
07-15-2013, 05:49 AM
So let's donate for him - I'm down for 15$ today. Anyone else?

kathy88
07-15-2013, 05:56 AM
I'll kick in 20.

Henry Rogue
07-15-2013, 10:18 AM
That was fantastic, great song and beautiful whistling, by you Dave.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
07-15-2013, 10:40 AM
That was great! I shared it on Facebook and hope it will inspire a few more donations. +rep

angelatc
07-15-2013, 10:50 AM
This is awesome. Words can't express how much this made me smile!

V3n
07-15-2013, 11:33 AM
Wow!! That was really clever and catchy! I'm impressed!! Well done!

anaconda
07-15-2013, 08:27 PM
Great piece of music in every regard (melody, phrasings, vocals, lyrics, arrangements, etc.). Great message. Great video accompaniment.

May I ask if you have any albums recorded or available?

CrissyNY
07-15-2013, 10:25 PM
threw in 75 bucks

great project, great song!

nayjevin
07-15-2013, 10:35 PM
Awesome.

Promoted to article on front page.

Texan4Life
07-15-2013, 11:55 PM
+1 was really surprised how entertaining and creative it was!

WhistlinDave
07-16-2013, 12:09 AM
Holy moly you guys!!! WOW!!! Thank you so much!!! talkingpointes, kathy88, CrissyNY, and anybody else who did, THANK YOU for donating to Ben! And for that matter anybody who's just shared it around to help me spread the message... Thank you!!!

This absolutely blows me away... I'm totally humbled by this response. Wish I could rep you all 100 times! This is totally beyond what I had hoped to accomplish... YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!

Thanks again you guys for your donations to Ben's project, and for spreading it around... I really hope he makes his goal with that fundraiser because what he's doing is so important!

WhistlinDave
07-16-2013, 12:21 AM
Great piece of music in every regard (melody, phrasings, vocals, lyrics, arrangements, etc.). Great message. Great video accompaniment.

May I ask if you have any albums recorded or available?

Oh shoot--I almost forgot to answer you on this... Yes, in my signature is a link; I have an album on iTunes and Amazon. Those songs are a couple years old though, and to be honest most of them just aren't the same quality as this latest effort. I wouldn't recommend buying the whole album... LOL (I'm such a perfectionist, really need to re-record the whole album someday! So many flaws I find with it today, after the fact.)

If you want my picks though, the best songs on it are probably Mischief, My Happy Place, My Lucky Day, Groovy Blue, and Walker's Wisdom. Some of the other ones are OK too, but I think those are the best ones if you were just looking for 1 or 2 good ones. Just my humble and totally biased opinion. LOL

ClydeCoulter
07-16-2013, 06:13 AM
Very cool, man :D

Sharing

Invi
07-16-2013, 07:40 AM
Shared on FB. Very nicely done!

paulbot24
07-16-2013, 09:23 AM
This is an outstanding song that I can't wait to show to so many people! I also wanted to bump this to give others a chance to find this. This is so damn impressive....I wish I had the talent to even compliment you well on your creation. Bravo! (from both me and my wife):):):)

opal
07-16-2013, 12:41 PM
I love it! Hits a bunch of the talking points and swing / barbershop! I was dreading yet another hiphop rap promo song.. very refreshing and will appeal to much bigger demographics than that other style

I dont' FB or Twitter but will be emailing the tube link around

WhistlinDave
07-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Thanks, you guys!! Glad you like it! :D And opal, I don't "do" rap/hip hop... LOL There's enough of that around already, and I don't like most of it.

nobody's_hero
07-16-2013, 06:07 PM
This is a great contribution and something I want to address further. Some of you may remember my post a week ago about the Liberty Movement becoming a bowel movement, and of course got mixed reactions. Well, THIS is the kind of stuff the Liberty movement should be doing. No, not writing songs or singing (unless you're that talented) but contributing in some way somehow. One thing this Liberty Movement has is a bunch of "keyboard commandos" who are afraid to get their manicured hands dirty. What I mean is everyone, and I mean everyone can contribute to pushing something and it doesn't ALWAYS have to involve money. Obviously, people on this forum like to post. It's evident sometimes by some of those same people that like to sabotage a promotion or a event or cause. Instead, put that same energy in promoting. A thousand man army is more powerful than a five man squad. Well post something, some where else to promote something instead of whining and complaining and destroying someone's efforts. Ok, I'm off my soapbox. Have at it.

Seconded for truth. Reminds me a lot of the 2008 campaign where we had all sorts of crazy ideas to promote and every single one of them were unique and genuine which you never saw from any of the 'professional' campaigns.