PDA

View Full Version : Betrayed by Hackers

Working Poor
07-14-2013, 10:22 AM
How far would NSA, DHS and others have gotten in stealing our privacy without them? I think they should be ashamed.

That group Anonymous is BS probably trying to cover their asses.

How many of these mofos working for the government are there making $100,000+ to steal our privacy?

How much has it cost in $$ to fund this opperation? This is a question I have yet to see asked or anseered.

Brian4Liberty
07-14-2013, 10:35 AM
How far would NSA, DHS and others have gotten in stealing our privacy without them? I think they should be ashamed.

How many of these mofos working for the government are there making $100,000+ to steal our privacy?

How much has it cost in $$ to fund this opperation? This is a question I have yet to see asked or anseered.

They have outsourced so much IT work, and imported so many IT people from India, that often the only option for an American programmer is to work for the government. Just another "beneficial" side effect of our immigration policy.

pcosmar
07-14-2013, 10:41 AM

Define "Hackers".

Working Poor
07-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Define "Hackers".

Techies who can install tracking bots, viruses, ect so thst individuals can be spied on and have theor information stolen and usrd for god only knows what.

AngryCanadian
07-14-2013, 02:52 PM
The Anonymous also is now supporting the Free Syrian Army, Syrian National Council just as soon as there leader was selected as an Saudi National see there tweets, i find it rather ironic.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
07-14-2013, 02:53 PM
Techies who can install tracking bots, viruses, ect so thst individuals can be spied on and have theor information stolen and usrd for god only knows what.

You're describing crooks. Just because someone has a skill set doesn't make them a crook. Easy example for you... ever lock your keys in your car and not break a window out to get them?

pcosmar
07-14-2013, 03:19 PM

Ah,, but it was also hackers that gave us encryption. and for that matter is was Hackers that built the World Wide Web in the first place.

Hackers are just people that play with and improve technology.. For better or worse.

If you have to "Blame someone",, blame those that pushed horribly insecure systems onto the market in the first place.

pcosmar
07-14-2013, 03:21 PM
The Anonymous also is now supporting the Free Syrian Army, Syrian National Council just as soon as there leader was selected as an Saudi National see there tweets, i find it rather ironic.

I would bet you will also find "Anons" opposed to it.

There is no organization that is "anonymous".. It is simply people using that name.

pcosmar
07-14-2013, 03:25 PM
Define "Hackers".

You see, I was a hacker long before I ever owned a computer or touched a keyboard.

I would modify cars,, Hack them.. and customize them. (a Hot Rodder)

Same thing,, a Hacker builds stuff. A Cracker breaks stuff. (like some punk that hotwires and steals a car.)

CPUd
07-14-2013, 03:28 PM
You're describing crooks. Just because someone has a skill set doesn't make them a crook. Easy example for you... ever lock your keys in your car and not break a window out to get them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvk90Jz4AW0

liberty2897
07-14-2013, 03:30 PM
If Anonymous is what it seems to be: a de-centralized, dynamic (ever changing) group of individuals coming together to make a statement with their hardware, then there really is no specific group to praise or admonish. Not sure what you call it. Digital Democracy?

Hacker to me is a very broad label. It can mean someone who likes to experiment with hardware, software, or just about anything. It can mean someone who is curious about how things work or the meaning that you seem to refer to with a malicious intent.

The people who developed many of the systems that NSA is currently exploiting didn't necessarily know what they were developing at the time. I'm confident that many of them would have looked for work elsewhere if they knew the bigger picture. Others would have continued with various rationalizations on why it seemed like a good idea at the time they were working on their piece. Some just see a paycheck and who cares what it is for. Others obviously subscribe to the idea that complete and utter tyranny as a way of life, is the best option (think Lindsey Graham types).

We weren't betrayed by hackers (unless you mean the power-hungry types who have no clue about technology)

RCA
07-14-2013, 04:22 PM
Since its founding in 1992, DefCon has been a venue where anarchists, geeks, and employees of three-letter federal agencies became unlikely comrades under a live-and-let-live credo that placed the love of computer tinkering above almost everything else. No more. As tensions mount over the broad and indiscriminate spying of Americans and foreigners by the National Security Agency, DefCon organizers are asking feds to sit out this year's hacker conference.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/07/for-first-time-ever-feds-asked-to-sit-out-defcon-hacker-conference/

Working Poor
07-14-2013, 04:56 PM
How coyld anyone especially a computer hacker work for the governme.t and not think they might be harming someone?

I am also a hacker like poc-mar describes. I have to be able to turn one thg into something else or come up with an altetnative way of doing things because I chose to live close to the earth.

Brian4Liberty
07-14-2013, 09:56 PM
How coyld anyone especially a computer hacker work for the governme.t and not think they might be harming someone?

I am also a hacker like poc-mar describes. I have to be able to turn one thg into something else or come up with an altetnative way of doing things because I chose to live close to the earth.

Most government IT work is typical mundane stuff. Same kind of work that all big bureaucracies love to do. Tracking, counting, and storing internal stuff. Bean counting.

Probably very few involved in actual "hacking" of outside sources. That would be a specialized and highly secret job. Not your average IT person.

tangent4ronpaul
07-14-2013, 10:33 PM

As to "penetration analysis" - they generally don't pay us that well.
I find it ironic that NSA, etc. generally want people that have gone through "ethical hacking" certification training. Not only are the certification programs the anti-thesis of what makes up a real hacker, but it also strikes me as convoluted, just as DAME (Defense Against Methods of Entry) is the gvmt burglary school.
The IC's budget is something like 78 Billion, the lions share of this goes to NSA and NRO.

Since its founding in 1992, DefCon has been a venue where anarchists, geeks, and employees of three-letter federal agencies became unlikely comrades under a live-and-let-live credo that placed the love of computer tinkering above almost everything else. No more. As tensions mount over the broad and indiscriminate spying of Americans and foreigners by the National Security Agency, DefCon organizers are asking feds to sit out this year's hacker conference.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/07/for-first-time-ever-feds-asked-to-sit-out-defcon-hacker-conference/

As a point of trivia, the guy that runs DefCon is Dark Tangent. When he first came on the scene he went by tangent, till members of the community told him that handle was already taken by someone else and he changed it. That person who already had dibs on the handle is me :D

-t