PDA

View Full Version : Umeå Professor Stefan Svallfors: Give Snowden Peace Prize

liberty2897
07-14-2013, 10:09 AM
http://www.vk.se/934383/umeaproffesorn-ge-snowden-fredspriset

Translated to English via Google translate:

Stefan Svallfors who is Professor of Sociology at Umeå University, in an open letter proposed whistle-blower Edward Snowden as Nobel Peace Prize winner.

The motivation Stefan Svallfors gives is that Snowden had committed a heroic effort at great personal expense when he highlighted the U.S. electronic surveillance in violation of the domestic laws and international regulations.

Moreover, he believes that it would provide peace prize committee its reputation back after it criticized the decision to give Obama the peace prize.

Here is the letter in its entirety

Best committee members!

I suggest that the 2013 Peace Prize awarded to the American citizen Edward Snowden.

Edward Snowden has - in a heroic effort at great personal cost - revealed the existence and extent of the surveillance, the U.S. government devotes electronic communications worldwide. By putting light on this monitoring program - conducted in contravention of national laws and international agreements - Edward Snowden has helped to make the world a little bit better and safer.

Through his personal efforts, he has also shown that individuals can stand up for fundamental rights and freedoms. This example is important because since the Nuremberg trials in 1945 has been clear that the slogan "I was just following orders" is never claimed as an excuse for acts contrary to human rights and freedoms. Despite this, it is very rare that individual citizens having the insight of their personal responsibility and courage Edward Snowden shown in his revelation of the American surveillance program. For this reason, he is a highly affordable candidate.

The decision to award the 2013 prize to Edward Snowden would - in addition to being well justified in itself - also help to save the Nobel Peace Prize from the disrepute that incurred by the hasty and ill-conceived decision to award U.S. President Barack Obama 2009 award. It would show its willingness to stand up in defense of civil liberties and human rights, even when such a defense be viewed with disfavour by the world's dominant military power.

Sincerely

Stefan Svallfors
Professor of Sociology at Umeå University

Xenliad
07-14-2013, 10:19 AM
I made this a while ago:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Megamagicman88/3v01y5_zps0aac889e.jpg
http://www.reddit.com/r/libertarianmeme/comments/1h7fs4/obamas_peace_prize/

surf
07-14-2013, 10:53 AM
not sure if the prize can regain credibility after obomba and EU (hell, Hitler was nominated for the "peace" prize), but this would help.

Occam's Banana
07-14-2013, 11:02 AM
It's a well-intended gesture, I suppose, but the Nobe Peace Prize is damaged goods.

After having been given to the U.S. Assassin-in-Chief, the thing is less than worthless - it's an outright mockery.

07-14-2013, 11:14 AM
You only get those for droning.

erowe1
07-14-2013, 11:16 AM
That would be an insult to Snowden.