PDA

View Full Version : Tension but no spark (Commentary on GZ Verdict and CFL atmosphere)

Cshelton21
07-13-2013, 11:58 PM
I live in Central Florida. I wen't to the movies tonight to see Pacific Rim, about 10 miles from the Sanford Courthouse. I thought to myself that the jury would call it a night and not deliver a verdict, but just in case I decided to bring my 9MM. As I was pulling into the theater parking lot I realized I had made a good decision. I sat in my car for a few extra minutes to listen in. After hearing not guilty and realizing that the theater wasn't going to burst into flames I decided to go ahead and buy a ticket. I was in line with about 30 or so people about 15 of them being black. Some of them started getting text about the verdict and they became instantly upset. A few walked back to their cars but most remained. as time passed they seemed to become more irate as it was clear not even the manslaughter charge was to be handed down. The remaining 13 individuals stepped aside you could overhear the "we're going to f*** S*** up" talk ramping up.

I was waiting for the spark and it almost came when a older lady was looking at her phone next to me said "George Zimmerman was acquitted" her husband responded with a muffled "oh that's good" I knew that no-one in the crowd overheard the remark because not one even bothered to look our way. But it was very clear that the frenzy they had whipped themselves into was ready to be set off. Thankfully they decided to leave but not before I heard the last thing one of the males in his early 20's had to say "We'll just have to make this right" his tone was well... not playful, lets just say it that way. As they walked away the very high level of "Atmospheric Tension" dissolved

I watched PR all the way through, and returned home with no issue. I wasn't surprised by the police presence, but you could still see a cruiser every 45 seconds or so. Overall I would say that I expect things to stay calm however I was very disturbed by how quickly such a small group was able to create this powder keg effect so quickly. I have to work in the area again tomorrow. and since I'm in my truck I think I'll keep the AR-10 in the cab just in case.

In unrelated new I give Pacific Rim a solid 8.2 out of 10. Great cinematic's. and I basically just went to see giant robots smash stuff on the big screen. If you want a deep plot or mind boggling twist this may not be your movie.

Matt Collins
07-14-2013, 08:14 AM
Yeah I'm about 5 miles from the courthouse where this took place, there was more media present than protestors.

The whole thing was nothing more than media hype. Yes people are upset, but I don't think the vast majority of these individuals are bad, and I definitely don't think the majority of them are violent. Again, don't listen to the media.

Krzysztof Lesiak
07-14-2013, 08:27 AM
Why was this even a national story?

Anyway, I'd be interested to get the take on this by some prominent libertarians, including Ron and Rand.

TomtheTinker
07-14-2013, 09:07 AM
I grew up in a city which at the end of the last day of middle school there would be a march/brawl involving atleast 700 kids, mob mentality at it finest.

once was at the local mall where a riot broke out for no reason, every where you looked tgere was a physical confertation. I was stuck on the city bus with over a hundred hyped up hoods..very violent situation. I see how a riot could happen quickly and for little reason.

LibForestPaul
07-14-2013, 09:33 AM
i wonder if having a well armed citizenry has anything to do with the lack of violence

HigherVision
07-14-2013, 09:38 AM

Probably because it was a case of a light skinned person shooting a black person, which is 18 times less likely than the reverse happening according to official crime statistics. If Zimmerman had been unarmed and unable to stop Martin from beating him into a coma or death it would have been a local headline perhaps, but by and large the media wouldn't have cared.

torchbearer
07-14-2013, 09:47 AM
i wonder if having a well armed citizenry has anything to do with the lack of violence

yes. the riot would be over very quickly. and the would-be rioters in that area know that.

nobody's_hero
07-14-2013, 10:21 AM

Because politicians need distractions. And what better way to distract people than to treat our justice system like some sort of season recording of Jersey-Shore or MTV's The Real World.

Now what were we talking about before this trial? Drone strikes? NSA wire-tapping? IRS Scandals?

Barrex
07-14-2013, 12:50 PM
You got 10.000 + murders per year. I fail to see how is this one special. I realize it sounds insensitive and that every life is sacred and my post got nothing to do with that. Does that means that those 10.000+ are less valuable? Less something?

P.s.

Cshelton21 (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/member.php?36113-Cshelton21) name your favorite movies and least favorite so I can have point of reference/taste. I am planing to go to cinema but am not sure about that movie. and your review.

Cshelton21
07-14-2013, 06:28 PM
Cshelton21 (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/member.php?36113-Cshelton21) name your favorite movies and least favorite so I can have point of reference/taste. I am planing to go to cinema but am not sure about that movie. and your review.

I would Say 300, LOTR, Star Wars 4/5/6, V for Vendetta, Ip Man, and A Clockwork Orange are some of my favorites. Least favorites Shutter Island, Flight, any Aliens movie, However I loved Prometheus.

I don't know that I would go see Pacific Rim if you only go to the theater a few times a year, It's probably a better movie for redbox/amazon rental with so many good movies in the pipe. that being said if you're picking from current theater choices I would give it a thumbs up. The movie overall is a great movie, I just think they missed some really cool stuff when it comes to the "The Rift" that forces pilots to share memories and thoughts, the really could have made some interesting content based around that whole part of the movie, but instead they just kinda punt on the whole idea.