PDA

View Full Version : Obama Siezes Control of Private Telcoms via Executive Order

limequat
07-12-2013, 09:01 AM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jul/12/dhs-emergency-power-extended-including-control-of-/

The Obama administration has given the Department of Homeland Security powers to prioritize government communications over privately owned telephone and Internet systems in emergencies.

An executive order signed June 6 “gives DHS the authority to seize control of telecommunications facilities, including telephone, cellular and wireless networks, in order to prioritize government communications over private ones in an emergency,” said Amie Stephanovich, a lawyer with the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC).

The White House says Executive Order 13618, published Wednesday in the Federal Register, is designed to ensure that the government can communicate during major disasters and other emergencies and contains no new authority.

“The [order] recognizes the creation of DHS and provides the Secretary the flexibility to organize the communications systems and functions that reside within the department as [she] believes will be most effective,” White House spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden said in an email. “The [order] does not transfer authorities between or among departments.”

She said the order replaced one originally signed in 1984 by President Reagan and amended in 2003 by President George W. Bush after DHS was set up and took responsibility for emergency response and communications.

When the original order “was written during the Cold War, the motivating national security concern was maintaining communications capability following a devastating nuclear strike,” Ms. Hayden said.

The new order “address[es] a world in which our economy and government are far more reliant on communications technologies to maintain essential functions than we were then,” she wrote.

At issue is a provision of the four-page order that says Homeland Security Secretary Janet A. Napolitano “shall … satisfy [federal] priority communications requirements through the use of commercial, government, and privately owned communications resources.”

“The previous orders did not give DHS those authorities over private and commercial networks,” Ms. Stepanovich said. “That’s a new authority.”

“This should have been done by Congress, so there could have been proper debate about it,” she added. “This is not authority that should be granted by executive order.”

Ms. Hayden said the legal basis for the order is Section 706 of the 1934 Communications Act. The section authorizes the president to “cause the closing of any facility or station for wire communication” and gives him “control of any such facility or station” if a state of war, or the threat of one, exists.

The new order “extends Section 706 powers to the Internet,” said James Harper, an electronic-privacy advocate at the Cato Institute, a libertarian think tank.

The authorities “might have made sense in the 1930s,” but now the communication networks are too complex and interdependent, he said. “If you try to seize control of the Internet that way, you will break it.”

Under the previous executive orders, communications providers have long established priority access programs for federal users. In the telephone system, a special code the user inputs before dialing a number automatically tells the phone companies’ equipment to give the call priority.

“Mobile phones, the Internet, and social media are all now integral to the communications landscape,” Ms. Hayden said.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jul/12/dhs-emergency-power-extended-including-control-of-/#ixzz2YqN2UvrR

Warlord
07-12-2013, 09:05 AM
Who's the conspiracy theorist now?

limequat
07-12-2013, 09:08 AM
Here's the actual EO:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/07/06/executive-order-assignment-national-security-and-emergency-preparedness-

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
07-12-2013, 09:38 AM
It seems they're really not understanding this master-servant thing.

Pericles
07-12-2013, 09:40 AM
It seems they're really not understanding this master-servant thing.

They most assuredly do.

Seraphim
07-12-2013, 09:44 AM
Marxists and fascists do not understand that principle.

You are a lesser creature to be forcibly herded as far as they are concerned.

They most assuredly do.

kathy88
07-12-2013, 09:44 AM
*yawn* Can't wait for NFL season.

youngbuck
07-12-2013, 12:24 PM
*yawn* Can't wait for NFL season.

When's the next new episode of American Idol due out?

ClydeCoulter
07-12-2013, 12:31 PM
DHS Internet Announcement
THIS IS A TEST
OF THE
EMERGENCY INTERNET SYSTEM
Your browser will be directed to the original content in
3..2..1...*bloip*

Zippyjuan
07-12-2013, 12:46 PM
"Seized" is not accurate. Nothing has been seized.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
07-12-2013, 01:08 PM
They most assuredly do.

Well, they're surely not understanding it as I do. Dangerous servant, they are.

Occam's Banana
07-12-2013, 01:20 PM
"Seized" is not accurate. Nothing has been seized.

Perhaps not. But the skids have certainly been greased ...

V3n
07-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Prioritized.

It just means their Youtube's won't buffer for 7 minutes every 2 seconds like it does when I watch them.
(...or is this what's causing my Tubes to buffer..?)

In other words - all traffic moving from router to router is already placed with some sort of priority - we're all riding on the same pipes, some customers pay for guaranteed bandwidth and those customers will get that, even if another customer is trying use the bandwidth, if they're not paying for it, their requests will be pushed aside.

The way I read this, in an emergency, the Feds will get priority. Their bandwidth needs will be met first and all other customers will be lower in the queue. I don't think it's right for them to have this monopoly on bandwidth, but I don't read it as they are shutting down the circuits or even have the ability to. Again, I don't agree with it, but I don't think this is a freak out moment. In an emergency, your internet might be slower than usual.

V3n
07-12-2013, 01:41 PM
And the title is really misleading. It sounds as if Obama has made him self President of Time Warner and Comcast. Or Insight is now a government run entity. That's really not the case at all.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
07-12-2013, 02:04 PM
And the title is really misleading. It sounds as if Obama has made him self President of Time Warner and Comcast. Or Insight is now a government run entity. That's really not the case at all.

When you claim to control something and it's undisputed, I'd say you control it until you find otherwise. Not only will he not find otherwise, but he's been controlling it for quite some time now with no resistance.

presence
07-13-2013, 06:57 PM
http://rt.com/usa/obama-president-order-communications-770/

Obama gives himself control of all communication systems in America

LibertyEagle
07-13-2013, 07:08 PM
This looks like a continuation of the same abysmal Executive Order that has been in place for decades giving the President control over every damn thing in America, in case of well, anything at all.