PDA

View Full Version : 42-Year-Old Pot Conviction Stops 20-Year Army Veteran From Buying a Rifle

tangent4ronpaul
07-11-2013, 03:43 PM
http://reason.com/blog/2013/07/10/42-year-old-pot-conviction-stops-20-year

Ron Kelly, a 20-year Army veteran, recently tried to buy a .22-caliber rifle at the Wal-Mart in Tomball, Texas. He was turned away because he failed the FBI background check. He appealed the rejection, and last month he got a Justice Department letter explaining that he was legally disqualified from owning guns, after handling them in defense of his country for two decades, because of a 42-year-old marijuana conviction. As a high school student in Durham, North Carolina, he had been caught with a small amount of pot and pleaded guilty to misdemeanor possession, receiving a sentence of probation because he was a first-time offender. The probation lasted a year, but according to the Justice Department the ensuing loss of Kelly's Second Amendment rights lasts a lifetime. "I am ashamed of the way my government has treated me," Kelly told The Houston Chronicle. "The government may have the greatest of intentions with the [law], but they messed it up."

Kelly's disqualification may in fact be unjustified under current law, which bars gun sales to people convicted of felonies but not misdemeanors (except for misdemeanors involving domestic violence). Unless the feds are treating what North Carolina called a misdemeanor as a felony for some reason, Kelly's pot conviction should not be covered by that provision. The only other disqualifier that seems possibly relevant is the one for anybody who is "an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance," but more than a 1971 conviction for possession should be required to demonstrate that Kelly falls into that category.

Even if it turns out that Kelly is allowed to own a gun under current law, the case illustrates the folly of the absurdly broad criteria used to strip people of their constitutional right to keep and bear arms, since it clearly would be illegal to sell Kelly a gun if he still occasionally smoked pot, whether for medical or recreational purposes, or if he had been caught with enough marijuana to be charged with a felony four decades ago. "Better" background checks can only mean more injustices like this.

[Thanks to Allen St. Pierre for the tip.]

====

I am just so proud of the government today! That they can dig back and find a misdemeanor convection from some HS student from 20 years ago. Why this was what "reefer madness" was all about! And thank god people can go and get their "loose your second amendment rights cards" (Medical MJ card) and that they will soon have access to all our medical records so those can be mined for disqualifying data too! Just think, one slip to your doctor and a psyco drug addict can't get a gun!

And even worse, this guy is a military vet! Didn't the fusion centers say these people were TeeeaaaROARists????

I feel safer already!

:rolleyes:

-t

Czolgosz
07-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Safety feels so good.

Nobexliberty
07-11-2013, 04:01 PM
I love safety, all hail big brother goverment!!!

HOLLYWOOD
07-11-2013, 04:08 PM
THIS IS HUGE NEWS of the POLICE STATE TYRANNY

So a misdemeanor pot record from high school now affects you when you are 42 years old? Let alone this good veteran gave 20 years to the state apparatus and was authorized to handle, shoot, and kill with firearms.

There has to be something else... it makes no sense.

What next? You are denied a gun because of that Jay-Walking conviction when you were 12 years old!

Unpaid Parking tickets... no gun purchases for you.

This is a huge notch in the Open Air Prison aka United States of America.

Christian Liberty
07-11-2013, 04:19 PM
And even worse, this guy is a military vet!

This doesn't make the already awful situation any worse.

presence
07-11-2013, 04:25 PM
My impulsive side wants to package my 10/22 stainless in its original box... dox Ron and ship it to his front door.

Scrapmo
07-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Just think, this maniac almost got hold of a .22. Close call, good catch feds.

Carson
07-11-2013, 04:30 PM
Makes it pretty clear who the enemies are.

Seraphim
07-11-2013, 04:34 PM
It has nothing to do with pot.

It's disarmament of those most likely to block tyranny. The legal means are secondary. They'd get him for picking his nose if it were politically viable.

satchelmcqueen
07-11-2013, 04:38 PM
but maryjane is dangerous. he should have bought beer and got hammered instead. nothing bad ever comes from that. and its legal!

kcchiefs6465
07-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Two words.... private sale.

Fuck 'em.

kcchiefs6465
07-11-2013, 05:05 PM
Oh, and he better hurry on up.

The next thing to go.

DamianTV
07-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Eventually, Denial of Gun Ownership will be handed out to people for reasons that are not considered Criminal. Like having been a Ron Paul supporter. That is the price of the loss of privacy: the denial of the right to defend yourself.

This is becoming more and more clear each and every day. First, they deny you the ability to defend yourself. Then they give you a reason to defend yourself, but by that time, it is far too late. That is only a small part of what Hot Tyranny has to offer.

Anti Federalist
07-11-2013, 07:18 PM
"The government may have the greatest of intentions with the [law], but they messed it up."

Oh so close, but then epic fail...

better-dead-than-fed
07-11-2013, 07:27 PM
If they prohibit people from possessing guns, people are just going to get this Improvised Munitions Handbook: http://cryptome.org/0001/tm-31-210.htm

jclay2
07-11-2013, 07:54 PM
This doesn't make the already awful situation any worse.

Most people would not find this disturbing if the guy was not a vet.

Carson
07-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Looks like he may not be minding his own business at the range on the weekends.

I wonder what his Ron Paul Forums handle will be? Just how will he fill his time?

Carson
07-13-2013, 11:38 AM
Most people would not find this disturbing if the guy was not a vet.

You may be underestimating us?