PDA

View Full Version : Dominicans Freak Out Over Obama's Gay Ambassador Pick

RonPaulFanInGA
07-11-2013, 01:38 PM
http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2013/07/11/dominicans_rage_against_obamas_gay_ambassador_pick

Opposition to President Obama's nominee for U.S. ambassador to the Dominican Republic reached a fever pitch this week as religious organizers stage a "Lunes Negro" or Black Monday protest against James "Wally" Brewster.

If confirmed, Brewster will be the first openly gay ambassador to the country, a prospect that is not going over well with some segments of this conservative Christian country of 9 million people. Local reports indicate that church leaders are pressuring the government to reject Brewster's nomination and calling on the faithful to dress in black on Monday in solidarity against him.

presence
07-11-2013, 01:40 PM
Fail.

HOLLYWOOD
07-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Doesn't it seem like the way Washington DC and this government continues with fail after fail... the new motto should be: 'FAILURE IS THE ONLY OPTION'

Too Bad Obama couldn't of picked US Senator Robert Menendez(D-NJ)... I hear he has a wonderful relationship with the Dominican Republic. ;)

PS: Charlie Rangel could be the backup selection

Anti Federalist
07-11-2013, 02:02 PM
These left wing logic loops always tickle me.

07-11-2013, 03:22 PM
It's not the actual government protesting. Just citizens.

I do think a US ambassador should not conflict with cultural traditions of the host country. The Dominican Republic is a Catholic majority country no?

presence
07-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Obama chose gay men for the diplomatic post in four countries and one Europe-based intergovernmental organization.

Monsignor Pablo Cedano, auxiliary Catholic bishop of Santo Domingo, said the appointment of Brewster showed “a lack of sensitivity, of respect by the United States.”

Brewster’s position on gay rights “is far from our cultural reality,” he said, adding that if he comes, “he’s going to suffer,” due to the cultural differences, “and he’ll have to leave.”

Church leaders often comment on, and influence, social matters here, where 88 percent of the population identifies as Catholic.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/07/01/3480511/gay-nominee-for-us-ambassador.html

tangent4ronpaul
07-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Has Obama banned nativity scenes there yet?

-t

Aratus
07-11-2013, 04:03 PM
in the past, these positions are sweet plums
handed out to all the campaign's groundlings

Antischism
07-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Sad.

RonPaulFanInGA
07-11-2013, 04:21 PM
It's not the actual government protesting. Just citizens.

Only the government's opinion counts, not those mundanes.

The Free Hornet
07-11-2013, 04:53 PM
This is what passes for small government promotion? Complaining about the sexuality of a meaningless ambassdor job to a small island nation?

It isn't even a full island:

https://www.google.com/maps/vt/data=VLHX1wd2Cgu8wR6jwyh-km8JBWAkEzU4,F00Z2gHXQt1RU6DNFibLv0_YEAm95RiUJ95l0 83gY300ZuZjh6MP9dSTrQL3kGHUUF8fH9ItgPYTV14b1nPdeFZ 4NA_-T-pm6PH3xFZ-frhB6rWPC0qYHoE7Nr2_S2hIkKHIV5q6hzEwpw5o40RXF9ke0a tz-M6yq0GYyBAfZRRVq7agJGsaKvjaUFbZXutXfvfWOHrP

jmdrake
07-11-2013, 04:54 PM
http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2013/07/11/dominicans_rage_against_obamas_gay_ambassador_pick

Opposition to President Obama's nominee for U.S. ambassador to the Dominican Republic reached a fever pitch this week as religious organizers stage a "Lunes Negro" or Black Monday protest against James "Wally" Brewster.

They used the word "negro"? Racists!

tangent4ronpaul
07-11-2013, 05:00 PM
They used the word "negro"? Racists!

"negro" is just the Spanish word for black. Are liberals now demanding that other countries alter their languages now?

I'm sure I could come up with a list of words that describe "black", both used as a putdown and demanded by the black community as what they wanted to be called THIS YEAR!

The feminazi's do it all the time too wwith their "gender equality" name game... :rolleyes:

-t

supermario21
07-11-2013, 05:09 PM
The president could use better discretion in choosing ambassadors. I doubt you'd want to send a gay man to Saudi Arabia for example, he wouldn't come back.

jmdrake
07-11-2013, 05:19 PM
"negro" is just the Spanish word for black. Are liberals now demanding that other countries alter their languages now?

I'm sure I could come up with a list of words that describe "black", both used as a putdown and demanded by the black community as what they wanted to be called THIS YEAR!

The feminazi's do it all the time too wwith their "gender equality" name game... :rolleyes:

-t

I hope you realize I was being facetious. I took Spanish and do remember "negro". Also the UNCF is still the "United Negro College Fund" and nobody is demanding a name change. I was just funning.