PDA

View Full Version : I need help with a speech....

Michael Landon
07-10-2013, 10:28 AM
I will be giving a small short speech at a local Liberty Day Picnic, along with candidates for Governor, Congress and Senate. I would like to hear some ideas on what you think I should base my speech around. I'm fairly confident that most of the speakers will be talking about the Constitution, Democrats and perhaps liberty.

The speech will be 5 minutes long and I want to make sure I get the most "bang for my buck."

Thanks in advance for all your help and suggestions.

- ML

FSP-Rebel
07-10-2013, 10:42 AM
I'd touch on out of control spending, the immorality of passing on 10s of trillions in unfunded liabilities plus the current debt to future generations (perhaps even call it a mild form of abortion in a metaphorical sense), how the implementation of the ACA is being put off deviously by the left because once all the regulations bare themselves no one will vote for a democrat for decades, maybe some Rand talking points on the situation in Egypt and Syria. That would be a decent outline and all you have to do is fill in the content. One more thing for house cleaning purposes, point out that the reason govt has grown so much is not solely the dems fault but that a lot of time those elected as republicans, who talk a good game prior to election, then tend to govern as democrats and this must stop and never happen again. That's all I got.

Acala
07-10-2013, 10:43 AM
Make the case for peaceful secession as a human right based directly on the founding principle that the only legitimate government derives from consent of the governed.

CaptUSA
07-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Personally, I would speak about the American dream and how it takes liberty to achieve it. And how the government is putting more and more obstacles in your way under the guise of "helping you". However, instead of helping people achieve the American dream by getting out of the way, the whole reason they are building these obstacles is because politicians have friends in high places that do not want more competition.

Keep it simple. Avoid specific examples. Allow the audience members to agree with you based upon their interpretations of what you are talking about.

ClydeCoulter
07-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Coming together, as Human beings interested in freedom, instead of being divided between left/right or any other divisive means.

tod evans
07-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Who's your audience?

I get more eyes open with the simple statement that gas is still 10 cents a gallon than anything else.

Works on anyone who buys gas...

belian78
07-10-2013, 12:01 PM
Personally, I would speak about the American dream and how it takes liberty to achieve it. And how the government is putting more and more obstacles in your way under the guise of "helping you". However, instead of helping people achieve the American dream by getting out of the way, the whole reason they are building these obstacles is because politicians have friends in high places that do not want more competition.

Keep it simple. Avoid specific examples. Allow the audience members to agree with you based upon their interpretations of what you are talking about.
I was going to reply something almost exactly like this. My only addition would be to make sure you point out the true meaning of Liberty. It means that even though the rest of the world may not like something you are doing, as long as you are not harming anyone else or anyone else's property, you are free do do that. That is the pursuit of happiness. Make sure you tell them that having and defending Liberty is all or nothing. You must be willing to stand up and protect someone's right to do or say something, even though you may be completely against it. You don't have to support it, but you have to be willing to protect others' right to it.

KEEF
07-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Michael Landon,

How about this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2r8mTQb4Eo

Joking of course...

Michael Landon
07-10-2013, 06:29 PM
I'll be allotted about 5 minutes to speak. I'm assuming the order of speaking will be: Me (City Councilor), County Commissioner, U.S. Congressional Candidate, and the two Republican candidates for Governor. There will also be two local conservative radio hosts speaking and I'm not sure where they'll be mixed in, probably somewhere in between us.

Assuming this, I was thinking of giving a speech that starts out talking about the Constitution, then liberty, and then ends with what the citizens should expect from their elected representatives in regards to the Constitution and liberty. With the end part, it would give me an opportunity to put the main speakers on the spot in regards to their stances on the Constitution and liberty.

Thoughts?

- ML

cjm
07-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Who's your audience?

I get more eyes open with the simple statement that gas is still 10 cents a gallon than anything else.

Works on anyone who buys gas...

I like this idea. Fix monetary policy and most of the other problems take care of themselves.

otherone
07-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Maybe a refresher about how the nation is a republic, that "democracy" is actually tyranny of the mob, and that the reason we have a republic is so our reps would protect our RIGHTS. Could dovetail nicely into some thoughts about privacy rights and the NSA.

kcchiefs6465
07-10-2013, 06:54 PM
Who is the audience? City specifics? Are there more R's or D's, blue state/red state? Consider this when choosing your rhetoric.

If you're speaking to liberty minded people go all out.

Gotta have some monetary policy and depreciation of the dollar in there somewhere. Feds overstepping their bounds. Eroding Bill of Rights. There is so much to talk about that keeping it to only five minutes will be the hard part. When I am writing I figure my general topic and go where my thoughts go. I don't particularly plan that I will say this, this or this. Pretty much whatever comes into my head at that specific time. If I wrote it at another time it very well would be different. If that is how you are as well I'd suggest reading through the speech aloud or in your head to see how it flows. For five minutes you probably want to be concise. Move on fairly quickly.

My main point, if I had to choose one to drive home, would be how much politicians are all the same/things never change. Towards the end inspire them with a message of how much things are changing with the youth and try to be optimistic. You don't want your speech to cause someone to go home and hang themselves. (lol) I'm sure you'll find a good starting place and the rest of the speech will come naturally.

Michael Landon
07-10-2013, 07:23 PM
The audience will be made up of mainly Republicans, not Paul Republicans but more like Bush Republicans.... The monetary speech would probably go over their heads. Originally, I was thinking about a speech on the Federal Reserve but then realized it'd be a waste of my time.

I anticipate the other speakers giving speeches filled with empty rhetoric and bumper sticker slogans whereas I hope mine will have more substance.

I'm sure once I start writing, my thoughts will lead the way to the content of the speech. I could start out with one topic in mind and end up talking about a totally different subject.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

- ML

tod evans
07-10-2013, 07:25 PM
K.I.S.S.;)

fisharmor
07-10-2013, 07:39 PM
I gotta say, Michael Landon, I only see you post like every 6 months, and each time I see you show up and I think "Hey, I thought he was dead".

But seriously, if I had 5 minutes, I'd probably go conceptual on law. I get a lot of mileage out of that. I like to point out to people that law can either be statutory or common. The former only considers crime to be an offense against the state, and the latter only considers crime to be a an offense against another person.

Come to think of it, I could probably go on for 40 minutes on the topic and still only get across the ancillary points that "crime against the state" has a negative connotation for a reason, and that seeking retribution through law is looked down on but still the entire point of law.

cjm
07-10-2013, 07:51 PM
The audience will be made up of mainly Republicans, not Paul Republicans but more like Bush Republicans.... The monetary speech would probably go over their heads. Originally, I was thinking about a speech on the Federal Reserve but then realized it'd be a waste of my time.

I anticipate the other speakers giving speeches filled with empty rhetoric and bumper sticker slogans whereas I hope mine will have more substance.

I'm sure once I start writing, my thoughts will lead the way to the content of the speech. I could start out with one topic in mind and end up talking about a totally different subject.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

- ML

Well, the Bush Republicans think of themselves as friends of the free market and they need to get their views on monetary policy straight. It will probably go over the heads of some folks there, but many would get it. All roads on the liberty trail lead to the Fed. You may as well give them a glimpse of where we are headed. You don't have to be super academic about it, take tod evans' advice and keep it at a level they can relate to, you only have five minutes, right?

ML: "hello, my name is ML and I support liberty!"
Crowd: "Hello, Michael!"
ML: "I've always been interested in liberty but really got active X years ago when I learned about economics and how free markets really work. They're wonderful! Did you know that a gallon of gasoline still costs only ten cents and a good cheeseburger only costs a quarter?...."

What would Ron talk about if he only had five minutes?

GovBotDotNet
07-10-2013, 08:53 PM
How about remind people that there are many, many Obama voters who are upset, and even mad at themselves. Where will they go? Toward people who make fun of them?

TruckinMike
07-11-2013, 01:24 PM
//