PDA

View Full Version : Illinois finally enacts concealed-carry permitting after Gov. Quinn’s veto

Keith and stuff
07-09-2013, 05:53 PM
I had a thread about this in the Bearing Arms Forum. Now that its been overridden, a new thread to celebrate seems worthy.

Illinois finally enacts concealed-carry permitting after Gov. Quinn’s veto
http://hotair.com/archives/2013/07/09/illinois-finally-enacts-concealed-carry-after-gov-quinns-veto/

The Senate voted 41-17 in favor of the override Tuesday afternoon after the House voted 77-31, margins that met the three-fifths threshold needed to set aside the amendatory veto. Quinn had used his veto authority to suggest changes such as prohibiting guns in restaurants that serve alcohol and limiting gun-toting citizens to one firearm at a time.

There are a lot of issues with the bill. And, worst of all, it could be changed in the future and made even worse. However, passing something like this is IL is awesome. This is something to celebrate!

The law as approved by the Legislature permits anyone with a Firearm Owner's Identification card who has passed a background check and undergone gun-safety training of 16 hours — longest of any state — to obtain a concealed-carry permit for $150.

With the negotiated law, gun-rights advocates got the permissive law they wanted, instead of a New York-style plan that gives law enforcement authorities wide discretion over who gets permits. In exchange, Chicago Democrats repulsed by gun violence got a long list of places deemed off limits to guns, including schools, libraries, parks and mass transit buses and trains.

trey4sports
07-09-2013, 06:53 PM
good for them. At least something good is coming from Illinois these days. Seems like they're becoming lil new york in most ways.

aGameOfThrones
07-09-2013, 07:43 PM
With the negotiated law, gun-rights advocates got the permissive law they wanted, instead of a New York-style plan that gives law enforcement authorities wide discretion over who gets permits. In exchange, Chicago Democrats repulsed by gun violence got a long list of places deemed off limits to guns, including schools, libraries, parks and mass transit buses and trains.

You listening crazy mass shooters?

Dr.3D
07-09-2013, 07:45 PM
You listening crazy mass shooters?
How nice of them to provide sanctuaries for those crazy mass shooters.

brushfire
07-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Very long, long, hard fought win. Even up to the very last minute, they were trying to tack on a trailer.

The opposition claims "wild west" in their beloved Chicago, where 50+ people are shot over a weekend, on a regular basis. Those who know their a-holes from a hole in the ground, however, will look forward to the end of the so called "wild west" - starting no later than April 2014, when permits begin to be issued.

This win is very symbolic, and although its far from perfect, it shows that there are very few and very fine strings that can be pulled by the people. The true test will be the fall session and subsequent sessions, to see how far we can take this law, and how well we can defend it.

Keith and stuff
07-09-2013, 08:08 PM
Very long, long, hard fought win. Even up to the very last minute, they were trying to tack on a trailer.

The article seemed to suggest that it might be possible for legislators to revisit this issue late and add in some of the restrictions that the governor wants :(

As for now, great work to you and anyone that might have helped get this pass. This will make IL (especially Chicago) a safer place to be!

ClydeCoulter
07-09-2013, 08:21 PM
Good news, keep it up! :)

torchbearer
07-09-2013, 08:23 PM
permit?
you don't need to stinking permit.

Reason
07-09-2013, 08:25 PM
meanwhile we still can't carry in CA if we live in a city where the sheriff wants "good cause"...

f**king bullshit

I get "looks" when I carry my taser...

Keith and stuff
07-09-2013, 08:25 PM
permit?

If you want a gun in IL, you need permission. The law doesn't even seem to recognize open carry but it seems better than Texas in that area. I could be wrong as the law is long and confusing.

Dr.3D
07-09-2013, 08:26 PM
permit?

No you don't, except they will lock you up in a little box if you don't have one.

Kodaddy
07-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Any word on reciprocity?

aGameOfThrones
07-09-2013, 08:35 PM
permit?

Yeah you do, and $150. FREEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOM

torchbearer
07-09-2013, 08:37 PM
No you don't, except they will lock you up in a little box if you don't have one.

except in my state.
how is it, i have a right to carry conceal without permit- i am a human.
you are a human, but because you just happen to be standing on a different part of this planet- you don't have the right.
explain.

Keith and stuff
07-09-2013, 08:41 PM
Any word on reciprocity?

I don't know much about searching for IL laws. Usually reciprocity is done later but who knows. Here is the law. You can search it. I searched it for that 1 word, reciprocity, and found nothing. http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=148&GAID=11&DocTypeID=HB&SessionID=84&GA=97

Dr.3D
07-09-2013, 08:43 PM
except in my state.
how is it, i have a right to carry conceal without permit- i am a human.
you are a human, but because you just happen to be standing on a different part of this planet- you don't have the right.
explain.
We have the right, but there are those who don't recognize it and will impose their own rules upon us.

torchbearer
07-09-2013, 08:45 PM
We have the right, but there are those who don't recognize it and will impose their own rules upon us.

it was like that in our state until we passed a law instructing courts to use the strictest interpretation of the 2nd amendment.

ghengis86
07-09-2013, 08:46 PM
Any word on reciprocity?

I'm sure it's not going to be very friendly. The 16 hours instruction is longest in the nation. I think states that have similar training requirements MIGHT get some reciprocity leeway, but I doubt it and I haven't read the law and am guessing.

It's good that they now 'permit' one to such a 'right', and it's far from perfect, but to the opposition to the idiot demoRATS from the south side of Chicago, this is a gigantic victory. I don't think people realize how big of a blow this is to the nannies. They want MORE gun control while each weekend 10-30 people get shot and a couple die EACH WEEKEND!! In the most heavily regulated state and city in the nation! To cut through that level of cognitive dissonance is truly a victory.

Long way to go, but we didn't get here over night. Incrementalism where necessary, expediency where possible