PDA

View Full Version : Mark Sanford impressed DC Young Republicans

supermario21
07-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Seems like it was a very libertarian oriented speech, give some of the tweets I've found.

Matthew Hurtt ‏@matthewhurtt 39m
Congressman @MarkSanford addresses @DCYRs and friends:

Nick Dyer ‏@MrNickDyer 31m
.@MarkSanford explaining why liberty is paramount to security. #tcot #tlot

Nick Dyer ‏@MrNickDyer 24m
Diffused cost, concentrated benefit. @MarkSanford laying down libertarian philosophy to the DCYRs.

Matthew Hurtt ‏@matthewhurtt 17m
Of all the friends @MarkSanford could've listed, he name-checked @repjustinamash. Very. Good. Answer.

Matthew Hurtt ‏@matthewhurtt 20m
.@MarkSanford just threw out that FULL Goldwater quote. Oh, man.

Nick Dyer ‏@MrNickDyer 10m
.@MarkSanford on the Fed Reserve, it is unfortunate that no one is paying attention.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BOsH5CUCQAISqT3.jpg:large

dannno
07-08-2013, 06:23 PM
That's probably why he was setup, he was starting to figure shit out.

supermario21
07-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Yeah, they pulled the money because of his view of government, not the scandal. Name dropping Amash as a friend also has to tick the establishment off.

Spoa
07-08-2013, 06:26 PM
I wonder if any of them videoed his speech. I'd love to watch it. :)

supermario21
07-08-2013, 06:28 PM
I wonder if any of them videoed his speech. I'd love to watch it. :)

Same, I hope there's at least a blog post or article detailing it. Mark was definitely Ron/Rand's best endorsement so far. Some may say the Massie endorsement was better but the Sanford endorsements helped him when the national party was content to let him sink.

Lucille
07-17-2013, 05:38 PM
My dream ticket for '08 was Paul-Sanford.

This is the only write-up I could find:

Mark Sanford: America’s economic crisis as much of a threat as Nazi Germany
http://redalertpolitics.com/2013/07/09/mark-sanford-americas-economic-crisis-as-much-of-a-threat-as-nazi-germany/

Newly elected Rep. Mark Sanford (R-S.C.) is deeply worried about the country’s economic state – so much so that he fears the current economic crisis is as much of a threat to the country as Adolf Hitler and Nazi Germany were to the nation during World War II.

In fact, he views it as the first “internal” threat the country’s faced since its creation in 1787.

“With the exception of the Civil War, every threat to our country’s existence was external in nature—what were the Germans going to do to us, what were the Japanese going to do to us, what were the Russians going to do to us, what were the British going to do to us, what were the French going to do to us—it was always what somebody was doing to us,” Sanford told a crowded gathering of young Republicans at the Capitol Hill Club in Washington, D.C. Monday night. “I would argue that the real challenge of today is what are we going to do to us?”

He also argued that the country is at a cultural and financial tipping point, commenting that we are “living beyond our means.” That tipping point, however, is something that young conservatives can use to sway their more progressive friends to the right side.

“There’s in essence a moral essence to definite spending that leaves somebody else with the bill to pay,” Sanford remarked. “If you care about other people, how in the world could you leave them the bill for current government consumption?”

The former governor also pleaded with young conservatives to disregard the notion that “it couldn’t happen in America,” especially with the size of the federal government growing exponentially in recent years and ultimately infringing on our rights and liberties.

“What I’d argue is, this is a lot more than just a job that y’all have,” Sanford said. “This is a chance to be engaged in the fight for civilization’s very existence based on the tipping point right down that path.”

Lucille
07-17-2013, 05:56 PM
Yeah, they pulled the money because of his view of government, not the scandal. Name dropping Amash as a friend also has to tick the establishment off.

He seems to be explaining (at least some of) his votes on FB like Amash does. :)

https://www.facebook.com/RepSanfordSC/posts/129162783960178

Today I voted against H.R. 1171, which would have given Veterans Service Organizations the ability to obtain property from the Federal Surplus Property Program. The bill ultimately passed 387-1. While I was the lone vote in opposition, transfers such as this have been a long-standing concern of mine.

https://www.facebook.com/RepSanfordSC/posts/130109320532191

This afternoon I voted against the latest version of the Farm Bill to come before the House, and I applaud my colleagues in the House Agricultural Committee for their work to bring about this bill. Their efforts were earnest and in good faith, but I ultimately voted no because I have seen this dance toward reform come up short of watching out for the taxpayer since I first voted for the Freedom to Farm bill in the mid 90’s. This version is certainly better; for instance, to their credit, this bill was brought to the floor without the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), commonly known as food stamps. While I am pleased that SNAP is being decoupled from the agricultural portion of the bill, this legislation does not go far enough in enacting needed reforms to our expenditures on farm subsidies, and so I believe the bill is still wanting for the following reasons: