PDA

View Full Version : Cop pepper sprays squirrel - just because

susano
07-07-2013, 10:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=j2fmevbZi40

TaftFan
07-07-2013, 10:04 PM
Possible it was showing rabies tendencies.

silverhandorder
07-07-2013, 10:05 PM
Um rabbies?

Scrapmo
07-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Gotta maintain officer saftey.

http://rotwbluestarmoms.com/images/funnies/comedy_images_squirrel_attack_450.jpg

QuickZ06
07-07-2013, 10:13 PM

Or they could have used common sense and called animal control, let them catch it and test the animal and deal with it properly instead of spraying pepper spray at the squirrel which does nothing good. Kids should have been told to go inside or to a different area until animal control takes care of him. And if all turns out well they can release him into the wild again.

TaftFan
07-07-2013, 10:17 PM
Or they could have used common sense and called animal control, let them catch it and test the animal and deal with is properly instead of spraying pepper spray at the squirrel which does nothing good. Kids should have been told to go inside or to a different area until animal control takes care of him. And if all turns out well they can release him into the wild again.

It's a squirrel, first of all. I have ran over many of them. I don't have emotions towards them like dogs.
They don't just mingle with people, nor do most animals. Taking a rabid animal out of commision is something a cop should be doing.

pcosmar
07-07-2013, 10:18 PM

Or it refused to comply.

I gotta bet that he was not trained to make that diagnosis.

aGameOfThrones
07-07-2013, 10:22 PM

Of course he was.

TaftFan
07-07-2013, 10:23 PM
Or it refused to comply.

I gotta bet that he was not trained to make that diagnosis.

It should be common sense. But in this urban socialite world, it isn't.

I have to figue cops go under some basic animal training though.

pcosmar
07-07-2013, 10:23 PM
It's a squirrel, first of all. I have ran over many of them. I don't have emotions towards them like dogs.
They don't just mingle with people,

you very obviously know nothing about squirrels. They do interact with people quite often. and can be very friendly.
Some of those kids were likely feeding it,, so it was coming to say " hi".

mad cow
07-07-2013, 10:25 PM
Squirrels don't act like that,at least not healthy squirrels.Especially after getting pepper sprayed several times.I think it was rabid.Maybe not,but I would have shot it in my yard.

alucard13mm
07-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Patient Zero for the new zombie virus.

TaftFan
07-07-2013, 10:28 PM
you very obviously know nothing about squirrels. They do interact with people quite often. and can be very friendly.

Not in my experience. And in the event they do beg for food, they don't act like that squirrel.

libertyplz
07-07-2013, 10:29 PM
Squirrels don't act like that,at least not healthy squirrels.Especially after getting pepper sprayed several times.I think it was rabid.Maybe not,but I would have shot it in my yard.

Squirrels rarely, if ever, get rabies. Have never heard of a rabid squirrel in my life nor has there been any documented cases to my knowledge. I guarantee people were feeding the squirrel so the squirrel thought people were going to give it food if it got close. Instead this dick pepper sprays it.

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-07-2013, 10:30 PM

I used to feed a chipmunk and it would come into my living room and watch T.V. with me as I fed it nuts lol.

brushfire
07-07-2013, 10:30 PM
http://youtu.be/-oZ2upB0WT0?t=1m52s

Christian Liberty
07-07-2013, 10:31 PM
They don't just mingle with people, nor do most animals. Taking a rabid animal out of commision is something a cop should be doing.

I think that sort of thing can be handled on the free market, but I'm with you, its a freaking squirrel. Frankly, I just don't care. I honestly barely care if someone even tortures an animal, yeah its wrong but frankly, its none of government's business. I don't really care. Deal with people who hurt other people.

QuickZ06
07-07-2013, 10:32 PM

Yes you are right nothing says officer friendly like blasting away at a squirrel in front of the school kids. And I try to avoid animals as much as possible when driving but I will not risk my life or anyone who is riding with me for one of course as I know some people have got in some serious accidents when trying to avoid an animal. In this case it seemed animal control could have been called to deal with it, instead of a trigger happy cop wanting to spray mace at him. Like I said, common sense goes a long way, kids could have been told to go in until animal control takes care of it. I mean why have tax payers pay for animal control when apparently you are ok with cops just shooting everything that comes near them?

I have seen some super friendly squirrels in my days. Some were probably raised by humans and then set free. And seeing how this squirrel is in a school environment I am willing to bet he was getting quite the food hook up by all the kids there. Maybe he has always just been a friendly squirrel.

Schifference
07-07-2013, 10:33 PM
"Officer Safety"

QuickZ06
07-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Dang it, every time I type up a long response half the forum comes right in before me and use half of the crap I was going to say. Guess I need a name change.....

JK/SEA
07-07-2013, 10:35 PM
fuckin' squirrels. Nothin' but trouble. Always begging. always looking too cute....

Ender
07-07-2013, 10:36 PM
I think that sort of thing can be handled on the free market, but I'm with you, its a freaking squirrel. Frankly, I just don't care. I honestly barely care if someone even tortures an animal, yeah its wrong but frankly, its none of government's business. I don't really care. Deal with people who hurt other people.

If a person tortures animals, they will also torture people.

JK/SEA
07-07-2013, 10:37 PM
Dang it, every time I type up a long response half the forum comes right in before me and use half of the crap I was going to say. Guess I need a name change.....

i agree. You should change to QuickBOSS302

pcosmar
07-07-2013, 10:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4m1wa_pB-8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u7kuqwzYfE

I have known several. the County courthouse Clerks office used to have a couple that would come in the window.
I have a few Fox(red) squirrels around here,, I haven't gotten close though. they are more skittish.

and of course,, the drunk squirrel,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0so5er4X3dc

but Tazering and Pepper spraying drunks is OK right? :(

Christian Liberty
07-07-2013, 10:39 PM
If a person tortures animals, they will also torture people.

Not always. I tortured lizards when I was a little kid. I wouldn't do that now, but I would never, EVER have tortured people, even when I was ten years old with the nuke 'em mentality (Of course, I tortured my parents, but that's a different type of torture...)

That said, I'm not condoning it. I just find any crime against people to be far worse than any crime against an animal.

QuickZ06
07-07-2013, 10:48 PM
i agree. You should change to QuickBOSS302

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/5273/beb5.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/153/beb5.jpg/)

QuickZ06
07-07-2013, 10:51 PM
Not in my experience. And in the event they do beg for food, they don't act like that squirrel.

Well judging by your character towards squirrel's I can see why they might not be so friendly towards you. Animals can sense things us humans will probably never be able to understand.

Anti Federalist
07-07-2013, 10:55 PM
Small mammals such as squirrels, rats, mice, hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, chipmunks, rabbits, and hares are almost never found to be infected with rabies and have not been known to cause rabies among humans in the United States.

http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/pets/

pcosmar
07-07-2013, 10:56 PM
Small mammals such as squirrels, rats, mice, hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, chipmunks, rabbits, and hares are almost never found to be infected with rabies and have not been known to cause rabies among humans in the United States.

http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/pets/

Thank you.

and now,, Rabid Squirrels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj7TtSvYKxk

QuickZ06
07-07-2013, 11:01 PM
I will say this I am surprised the gun never came out, then we would have expected one of the these scenes.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX7Yo0tWDgk

pcosmar
07-07-2013, 11:03 PM
Best Squirrel Story ever,,

http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/10/29/neighborhoodHazardorWhyTheCopsWontPatrolBriceStree t.html

Little did I suspect…

As I passed an oncoming car, a brown furry missile shot out from under it and tumbled to a stop immediately in front of me. It was a squirrel, and must have been trying to run across the road when it encountered the car. I really was not going very fast, but there was no time to brake or avoid it—it was that close.

I hate to run over animals…and I really hate it on a motorcycle, but a squirrel should pose no danger to me. I barely had time to brace for the impact.

Animal lovers, never fear. Squirrels can take care of themselves!

Inches before impact, the squirrel flipped to his feet. He was standing on his hind legs and facing the oncoming Valkyrie with steadfast resolve in his little beady eyes. His mouth opened, and at the last possible second, he screamed and leapt! I am pretty sure the scream was squirrel for, “Banzai!” or maybe, “Die you gravy-sucking, heathen scum!” as the leap was spectacular and he flew over the windshield and impacted me squarely in the chest.

Instantly he set upon me. If I did not know better I would have sworn he brought twenty of his little buddies along for the attack. Snarling, hissing, and tearing at my clothes, he was a frenzy of activity. As I was dressed only in a light t-shirt, summer riding gloves, and jeans this was a bit of a cause for concern. This furry little tornado was doing some damage!

Picture a large man on a huge black and chrome cruiser, dressed in jeans, a t-shirt, and leather gloves puttering maybe 25mph down a quiet residential street…and in the fight of his life with a squirrel. And losing.

I grabbed for him with my left hand and managed to snag his tail. With all my strength I flung the evil rodent off the left of the bike, almost running into the right curb as I recoiled from the throw.

That should have done it. The matter should have ended right there. It really should have. The squirrel could have sailed into one of the pristinely kept yards and gone on about his business, and I could have headed home. No one would have been the wiser.

But this was no ordinary squirrel. This was not even an ordinary pissed-off squirrel.

This was an evil attack squirrel of death!

Origanalist
07-07-2013, 11:06 PM
That was obviously a domestic terrorist squirrel.

The kiddies got a early lesson on what police protection looks like.

Origanalist
07-07-2013, 11:17 PM
pcosmar, the story at that link is great reading, and kind of believable...

pcosmar
07-07-2013, 11:19 PM
pcosmar, the story at that link is great reading, and kind of believable...

It's been around,, Don't remember when or where I first read it.
Hilarious. and very vivid,,you can see it as he tells it. :D

Origanalist
07-07-2013, 11:22 PM
It's been around,, Don't remember when or where I first read it.
Hilarious. and very vivid,,you can see it as he tells it. :D

Those Valkyries have the same motor my bike has but beefed up a bit. I can attest to what happens when you inadvertently twist the throttle too hard. :p

Scrapmo
07-07-2013, 11:32 PM
Thanks for that story. It had me crying. :D

Brian4Liberty
07-07-2013, 11:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=j2fmevbZi40

Baby squirrels, especially orphaned ones, have little fear of humans. It was looking for a new parent. Even after being raised by a human, they will return to "normal" behavior after a certain age.

CPUd
07-07-2013, 11:50 PM
Squirrels rarely, if ever, get rabies. Have never heard of a rabid squirrel in my life nor has there been any documented cases to my knowledge. I guarantee people were feeding the squirrel so the squirrel thought people were going to give it food if it got close. Instead this dick pepper sprays it.

Perhaps they were thinking of raccoons:

http://i.imgur.com/C3J7QC7.gif

Mani
07-07-2013, 11:54 PM
Growing up, squirrels were a part of the university charm on campus. We had a lot of trees and of course squirrels here and there. It actually gave a nicer feel to the Campus, and sometimes even brightened your day seeing those cute fuzzies scampering to and fro...especially on some of those real monotonous class days.

I really don't see how a squirrel posed a threat to ANYONE. I doubt kids called an officer for HELP against a squirrel.

My guess is the squirrel did what it often does, approach kids in hope of a snack, but the Peace Officer was there....AND he FELT THREATENED.

Peace Officers are used to ALL beings: animals, humans, whatever, complying with their commands. They ALWAYS feel threatened when something approaches them, no matter how CUTE or friendly. If the the Peace Officer is required to make more then 2 steps back...It's in the handbook to neutralize it, because now it's a threat.

Mission Accomplished, threat has been neutralized. Peace and order has been restored, officer is no longer at risk. Move along.

J_White
07-07-2013, 11:59 PM
Official Statement: Officer safety, public safety, Aggressive tendencies, blah blah blah !

Scrapmo
07-07-2013, 11:59 PM
Peace officers do not exist anymore. They have been replaced by Law enforcement officers.

Mani
07-08-2013, 12:06 AM
Peace officers do not exist anymore. They have been replaced by Law enforcement officers.

I used the phrase peace officers/Peace Keepers, with some amount of sarcasm. And sadly today's LEO's act more and more similar to PEACE KEEPERS from the Hunger Games, every day.

susano
07-08-2013, 03:50 AM

It should be common sense. But in this urban socialite world, it isn't.

I have to figue cops go under some basic animal training though.

*pepper sprays thread*

XTreat
07-08-2013, 07:01 AM
My dad who is in a wheelchair used to handfeed the squirrels in our backyard every morning, eventually he could tell them apart and named them.

presence
07-08-2013, 07:23 AM

It was a baby squirrel. I used to have one named "Squirrelly" that hung out on my shoulder until he was big enough to not eat infant formula and peanut butter any more.

Cute little bugger. About as cute as the baby raccoon I saved the year before.

V3n
07-08-2013, 07:27 AM
I had a squirrel in my attic for two weeks - I got it out only to realize, it left two little ones up there. It chewed through the cable for my cable-tv to get back in. I eventually got it out again and the little ones, then I left squirrel-poison all over the attic, and put steel-wool in all the areas I thought it could get in. I haven't had a problem since then.

Squirrels are fluffy-tailed rats and should be exterminated. If I had pepper spray and one of the vermin approached me, I'd do the same thing.

Maybe out in the wild or at parks they're ok, and XTreat's story sounds nice, but in my backyard - I'm grabbing my bb gun.

The Jedi squirrels are the worst!
http://174.120.103.90/images-somethingreallyfunny/squirrels-with-lightsabers.jpg

Icymudpuppy
07-08-2013, 08:06 AM
Probably drunk squirrel. Nothing funnier to watch than a drunk squirrel. They get drunk eating fermented fruit. You know, that stuff that falls off everybody's trees and starts rotting on the ground. Cherries in early summer, and Apples in Autumn are the two most common squirrel and deer inebriators.

kcchiefs6465
07-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Probably a squirrel.

Scary... I know.

shane77m
07-08-2013, 10:33 AM
I want to pepper spray the ones eating my corn.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
07-08-2013, 10:41 AM
If you listen closely you can hear that squirrel citing constitutional law.. The officer had no choice but to spray him.

phill4paul
07-08-2013, 10:44 AM
If you listen closely you can hear that squirrel citing constitutional law.. The officer had no choice but to spray him.

Lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVTLzbK7L5c

Brian4Liberty
07-08-2013, 12:02 PM
I want to pepper spray the ones eating my corn.

And the plums, and the apples, and the tomatoes... :mad:

Dr.3D
07-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Looked to me like the cop was moving back and the squirrel approaching. I suspect the cop became frightened for his own safety and decided to act like a frighted cop usually does.

heavenlyboy34
07-08-2013, 12:46 PM
I rather miss squirrels. Haven't seen any since I last visited family back in the midwest/south. There are ground squirrels here in teh desert, but they aren't that cute or playful. They usually just make a mess.

angelatc
07-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Or they could have used common sense and called animal control, let them catch it and test the animal and deal with it properly instead of spraying pepper spray at the squirrel which does nothing good. Kids should have been told to go inside or to a different area until animal control takes care of him. And if all turns out well they can release him into the wild again.

testing for rabies in a live animal involves cutting the head off

opal
07-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Rather than call animal control or spraying the little thing.. how about a piece of bread on the ground? That's probably what it was after anyway.. toss it food.. problem solved... geeze

heavenlyboy34
07-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Rather than call animal control or spraying the little thing.. how about a piece of bread on the ground? That's probably what it was after anyway.. toss it food.. problem solved... geeze
There you go using common sense. You would make a terrible cop.

Dr.3D
07-08-2013, 02:19 PM
Well, isn't there an IQ cut off for being a cop? I would like to know what that limit is.... perhaps 75 or maybe lower?

opal
07-08-2013, 02:54 PM

best compliment I've gotten in a while ty

QuickZ06
07-08-2013, 03:13 PM
testing for rabies in a live animal involves cutting the head off

Haha o god, well good thing AF enlightened us rabies are not common at all with the species.

QuickZ06
07-08-2013, 03:16 PM

I agree but it seems they wanted it dealt with. So catching it and releasing it somewhere else seems logical. I would rather have animal control take care of it vs. this cop who seems to just want to use all his "cool" toys on anything he sees.

pcosmar
07-08-2013, 03:30 PM
I agree but it seems they wanted it dealt with. So catching it and releasing it somewhere else seems logical. I would rather have animal control take care of it vs. this cop who seems to just want to use all his "cool" toys on anything he sees.

Who is they?

This was a school cop acting on his own,, and for his own reasons. (whatever they were)

The kids were not bothered by the squirrel,, they were bothered by the pepper spraying of the squirrel.

Bottom line,, the cop should have left it alone or simply called animal control. or just left it the fuck alone.

angelatc
07-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Haha o god, well good thing AF enlightened us rabies are not common at all with the species.

I didn't know that, but it is acting odd and indeed might be sick. We feed the squirrels in our yard, and they won't come near us. Note that we haven't tried. Domesticating a wild animal is dangerous for the animal.

But seeing it approach a human is bad. If it was getting tame, getting a shot of pepper spray might knock some sense back into it.

QuickZ06
07-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Who is they?

This was a school cop acting on his own,, and for his own reasons. (whatever they were)

The kids were not bothered by the squirrel,, they were bothered by the pepper spraying of the squirrel.

Bottom line,, the cop should have left it alone or simply called animal control. or just left it the fuck alone.

The cop and if you look closely you can see two other (teachers or principles???) standing off to the left side. One has their hands in their pockets, kinda in a position of authority, like deal with this stuff right now for the children. It looks like it was more than just the cop who started this. But he is the authority, the law, the way, period. No matter what, the law was going to deal with it for the children. He obviously did not care about the pleas and cries from the children. Who knows what really caused all this chaos as we never get to see the before hand in these videos, heck many thought it just automatically had rabies because it was acting friendly.

QuickZ06
07-08-2013, 04:02 PM
I didn't know that, but it is acting odd and indeed might be sick. We feed the squirrels in our yard, and they won't come near us. Note that we haven't tried. Domesticating a wild animal is dangerous for the animal.

But seeing it approach a human is bad. If it was getting tame, getting a shot of pepper spray might knock some sense back into it.

I am sorry I just don't agree with the tactic they used, and I don't think that pepper spray is going to knock any sense in a squirrel. I agree domesticating is bad for wild animals but many have been pushed out of there natural habitat and now you get what you see in the video above. I think the kids have been feeding this guy for a while as you can see in the vidoes others have posted of squirrels on campuses, they seem to get pretty friendly.

Like I said , animal control (paid by tax payers) can pick him up, relocate him in a state park that taxpayers are funding and all will be well. But I guess if pepper spraying is your thing to hope he "learns his lesson" then alright.

heavenlyboy34
07-08-2013, 04:08 PM
best compliment I've gotten in a while ty
yw :) ~hugs~

QuickZ06
07-08-2013, 04:11 PM
Voice 1) For it to be coming towards something....
Voice 2) It's not right.

Listen to the beginning, seems the lady with the walkie talkie in the video thinks it was not right for the squirrel to be acting the way he was.

So yes, THEY wanted it dealt with. But the officer dealt with it.

pcosmar
07-08-2013, 04:25 PM
Greys are quite social. You will find them in urban settings quite often. Especially parks. and often comfortable around people.
http://www.terrywhittaker.com/data/photos/319_1squirrel_urban_01.jpg

I have Reds around my place.
They are more solitary and territorial. Quite skittish, though I have known folks to make friends with them.

http://www.rodplanck.com/images/gallery-large/mammals/Rod_Planck_Red_Squirrel_Winter_Michigan_0033.jpg

GunnyFreedom
07-08-2013, 04:30 PM
I used the phrase peace officers/Peace Keepers, with some amount of sarcasm. And sadly today's LEO's act more and more similar to PEACE KEEPERS from the Hunger Games, every day.

Peacekeepers?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-DnXGnlZRb7E/UZR_5eGua_I/AAAAAAAAAN4/liQlSnhGmu8/s320/farscape.jpg

green73
07-08-2013, 04:32 PM
In defense of this hero, the baby squirrel was an anarchist.

kathy88
07-08-2013, 04:49 PM

So a rabid squirrel gets pepper spray and the barking cocker spaniel gets a bullet. Check.

green73
07-08-2013, 04:52 PM
The odds of a squirrel getting rabies: 0.000000000001.

angelatc
07-08-2013, 04:53 PM
I am sorry I just don't agree with the tactic they used, and I don't think that pepper spray is going to knock any sense in a squirrel. I agree domesticating is bad for wild animals but many have been pushed out of there natural habitat and now you get what you see in the video above. I think the kids have been feeding this guy for a while as you can see in the vidoes others have posted of squirrels on campuses, they seem to get pretty friendly.

Like I said , animal control (paid by tax payers) can pick him up, relocate him in a state park that taxpayers are funding and all will be well. But I guess if pepper spraying is your thing to hope he "learns his lesson" then alright.

I don't think squirrels are smart enough to "learn" much of anything. But if he approached people and received an extreme irritation as a result, hopefully he would be conditioned to avoid people to avoid the irritant.

green73
07-08-2013, 04:54 PM
I don't think squirrels are smart enough to "learn" much of anything. But if he approached people and received an extreme irritation as a result, hopefully he would be conditioned to avoid people to avoid the irritant.

I'm sure it's dead.

QuickZ06
07-08-2013, 04:55 PM

I don't see him not coming back for food he has been accustomed to for quite some time, I am sure. The kids will feed him and he will be stronger for the next confrontation......

angelatc
07-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Greys are quite social. You will find them in urban settings quite often. Especially parks. and often comfortable around people.

I have Reds around my place.
They are more solitary and territorial. Quite skittish, though I have known folks to make friends with them.

http://www.rodplanck.com/images/gallery-large/mammals/Rod_Planck_Red_Squirrel_Winter_Michigan_0033.jpg

I'm sort of the live and let live type, but my neighbor shoots the red squirrels. I don't know why.

I saw a black squirrel for the first time about a year ago. I had no idea they even existed, which made my reaction kind of embarrassing. :) The people I was with including my husband were looking at each other kind of coufused, like "Why is she so excited? It's just a squirrel."

green73
07-08-2013, 05:09 PM
I'm sort of the live and let live type, but my neighbor shoots the red squirrels. I don't know why.

I saw a black squirrel for the first time about a year ago. I had no idea they even existed, which made my reaction kind of embarrassing. :) The people I was with including my husband were looking at each other kind of coufused, like "Why is she so excited? It's just a squirrel."

Black squirrels are gray squirrels with a rare gene expression. Nothing to be embarrassed about.

opal
07-08-2013, 05:12 PM
When my daughter was on a swim team.. back in the 90s, squirrels nested in the roof of the team locker room. Each year we'd get to see the babies come out and have their first runs in the wild - which was sometimes the pool deck.

One spring, one of the babies was ousted from the nest.. evidently when it was born part of whatever arrives with a squirrel dried over one of it's eyes and the mamma squirrel I guess figured it was blind in one eye or something.

The little bugger ran around on deck - mostly in random circles for a while and eventually UP the swim coaches leg.
I thought Jim would wet his pants.. funny dance he did.

One of the other mom's was not only a nurse but a farm girl.. unlike most of us suburban princesses (my crown's been revoked btw). She grabbed a towel.. then the squirrel off the coach's back and examined it.. found the scab.. pulled it off (no bleeding) and the little thing got down and ran around some more.

Mama squirrel wasn't having any when it tried to go back into the roof so the coach's daughter took it home.. named it Twitch and it lived in the house with them for the summer.. slept in a robe pocket on the door hook of her bedroom.

I guess they determined it was male when it started humping things and they made a trip out in the field behind the pool complex and let Twitch get back to nature. For a few weeks the kids would bring snacks and they'd get glimpses of him but I guess he found what he was after.

Seeing that one on a concrete slab reminded me of Twitch

Dr.3D
07-08-2013, 05:21 PM

When I spent the summer at the Interlocken National Music Camp in northern Michigan, all I saw in the way of squirrels were black. They were so tame you could hold out a peanut and they would come over and take it out of your hand. One day, I thought I would try to pet one of them and that was a big mistake. After that, I figured they were made out of rubber bands and piano wire.

pcosmar
07-08-2013, 05:21 PM

Folks hunt them for food. And I am not opposed to such. but killing anything for no reason or just for sport bothers me.

Black squirrels are rare,, but they are around.
White ones too.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/17/UNTalbinosquirrel.jpg

moostraks
07-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Folks hunt them for food. And I am not opposed to such. but killing anything for no reason or just for sport bothers me.

Black squirrels are rare,, but they are around.
White ones too.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/17/UNTalbinosquirrel.jpg

Kent, OH imported some(black squirrels) from Canada years ago. http://www.kentohio.net/kent-area-outdoor-activities/kent-ohios-black-squirrels You must have some illegals crossing da border up in yer parts.:D Ate squirrel years ago but still remember it as really tasty for a wild meat (I am not much on gamey tasting meats). Was fried, of course, the only way any self respecting southerner would eat their squirrel.

phill4paul
07-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Lol. Good squirrel stories. Guess I'll throw mine in the mix.

I had bought some property in Virginia. An old '70's post and beam. Wonderful craftsmanship. Terribly neglected. One of the first things I did was tear out the soffits. They were a squirrel condominium. Behind the soffits was post and beam with a good exterior stain so I figured the soffits were just cosmetic anyway. I decided not to replace it and figured the squirrels could go through a coupla generations to get nesting in the soffits out of their recorded history.
When it came time to sell the place I decided to put the soffits back up. Replaced them and some of the fascia, painted, and had the place ready for sale when the squirrel on point decided to breach the lines.
Since I don't really like to shoot at my house and there wasn't time to trap I went and picked up some foaming pepper spray. Waited till the evening when the squirrel was hunkered down and unloaded it into the hole.
There was a tremulous thrashing and hollering. I backed away from the opening and out shot squirrely. Headed for the trees.
Cussed me for three days straight but didn't move back in.