PDA

View Full Version : University requires students to carry GPS Cellphones

FrankRep
11-27-2007, 08:06 AM
Montclair State Unveils Mandatory 'School Phone'
Students Must Carry And Pay For GPS-Based Cell Device

CBS
Nov 27, 2007

College students at Montclair State University are all talking about a new requirement that will require students to have a cell phone.

First-year student Vuocolo said 'School Phone' -- as in a Sprint-operated cell phone -- is now mandatory for all students. It's the first program of its kind in the country.

At Montclair State, there is no excuse for being out of touch.

The cost: $420 a year for a base plan which is bundled into the tuition bill.

"What it does is allow students to have an extra pair or group of people watching over them when they're going from one location to another," Montclair Police Department Chief Paul Cell said.

"It makes me feel comfortable," MSU freshman Ricky Bodtmann said. "I guess if people want to feel safe."

Source:
http://wcbstv.com/technology/cell.phone.montclair.2.595976.html

Ginobili
11-27-2007, 08:10 AM
It makes you feel comfortable that your being forced to pay for some one to be able to keep nearly constant survelancce on your location? *gulp*

BizmanUSA
11-27-2007, 08:17 AM
It makes you feel comfortable that your being forced to pay for some one to be able to keep nearly constant survelancce on your location? *gulp*

The old title of Big Brother is Watching comes to mind - and someone would go to this school on purpose?

BTW, where is this school located - I may want to zoom in on it with Google Earth

BizmanUSA

user
11-27-2007, 08:23 AM
Universities these days have all kinds of stupid things they force you to pay for as part of your tuition. Students don't really have much of a choice.
Every major university today acts as if it's part of the government, whether it calls itself "private" or not.