PDA

View Full Version : D.C. : Metro rips out Phantom Planter’s flowers at Dupont Circle station

CaseyJones
07-07-2013, 02:25 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/metro-rips-out-phantom-planters-flowers-at-dupont-circle-station/2013/07/06/4220cef4-e5ce-11e2-80eb-3145e2994a55_story.html

Two weeks ago, I wrote that the transit system would look silly if it let perish 1,000 flowers planted secretly at the Dupont Circle station by local garden artist Henry Docter, the self-described Phantom Planter.

I feared that Metro would merely neglect the flowers. Instead, last Sunday, it sent workmen to yank them out.

The transit system regularly pleads poverty, yet employees devoted supposedly valuable time to remove more than 1,000 morning glories, cardinal flowers and cypress vines that Docter donated to the city — albeit without permission. The plants would have bloomed from August to October in a patriotic display of red, white and blue.

Instead of greenery today and colors to come, the 176 flower boxes along the top stretch of the escalators at the station’s north entrance now feature dirt, a few straggling stems and the occasional discarded soda can.

“It never occurred to me that Metro would think it was more efficient to rip out the plants than to let someone water them,” Docter said.

Occam's Banana
07-07-2013, 02:42 PM
“It never occurred to me that Metro would think it was more efficient to rip out the plants than to let someone water them,” Docter said.

Someone has not been paying attention ...

(not to mention the fact that it isn't a question of efficiency - it's a question of approval & permissions, i.e., control)