PDA

View Full Version : Venezuela says no contact with Edward Snowden since asylum offer

tangent4ronpaul
07-07-2013, 03:56 AM
http://www.dnaindia.com/world/1857982/report-venezuela-says-no-contact-with-edward-snowden-since-asylum-offer

"No, there has not been any type of communication," Foreign Minster Elias Jaua told state television when asked about the case.

Venezuela said on Saturday it had not had any contact with former US security contractor Edward Snowden, a day after President Nicolas Maduro offered him asylum in defiance of Washington.

"No, there has not been any type of communication," Foreign Minster Elias Jaua told state television when asked about the case.

"We are waiting until Monday to know whether he ratifies his wish to take asylum in Venezuela." Washington is demanding the arrest of Snowden, who is believed to be holed up in the transit area of a Moscow airport, for leaking details of secret US surveillance programs.

(If he's holding out for a better offer, he better not wait too long!)

-t

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-07-2013, 10:15 AM
boring news is boring

Warlord
07-07-2013, 11:20 AM
He wont get a better offer..

randpaul2016
07-07-2013, 01:59 PM
you guys buy your flags yet? lol

tangent4ronpaul
07-07-2013, 02:19 PM
http://seattletimes.com/html/politics/2021341873_apnsasurveillance.html

Pushkov joked that if Snowden doesn't find shelter in Venezuela, "he will have to stay and marry Anna Chapman," the redheaded Russian spy who was among 10 sleeper agents deported from the U.S. in 2010. The 31-year-old Chapman proposed to Snowden, who just turned 30, on Twitter last week.

-t

RickyJ
07-07-2013, 02:27 PM
He is better off in that airport. He won't be safe anywhere else unless we have a revolution in this nation and overthrow this corrupt regime.

CPUd
07-07-2013, 03:01 PM
It seems like this dude may have been planning to end up back in the U.S. once he gets enough visibility to make sure he'll have a public trial. Then he'll be able to put their dirty laundry out in the street every day, and have a fair chance to be acquitted.

RonPaulMall
07-07-2013, 03:04 PM
He is better off in that airport. He won't be safe anywhere else unless we have a revolution in this nation and overthrow this corrupt regime.

The transit area of the hotel is essentially a prison. It isn't nice at all, there are surly Russian guards, and you can't leave. And it is ridiculously expensive. And the fact that Kremlin officials are hinting at growing impatience means that the airport isn't safe anymore either. Venezuela isn't my favorite country in the world, but there are nice areas. I'd move to Merida if I were him. Safe, clean, great climate, and a nice population owing to its location and status as a University town.

It seems like this dude may have been planning to end up back in the U.S. once he gets enough visibility to make sure he'll have a public trial. Then he'll be able to put their dirty laundry out in the street every day, and have a fair chance to be acquitted.

They are going to try him in the Federal District Court in Virginia. It is the most blatantly pro-government of all the District Courts and his jury pool would be made up of Federal Employees or their spouses. He would have no chance of being acquitted. His best hope is to lay low in Latin America and hope Rand gets elected so the bogus "espionage" charges get taken off the table.

TheTexan
07-07-2013, 03:21 PM
Do we even know he's still in the transit area? When did we/Greenwald last hear from him?

CPUd
07-07-2013, 03:22 PM
They are going to try him in the Federal District Court in Virginia. It is the most blatantly pro-government of all the District Courts and his jury pool would be made up of Federal Employees or their spouses. He would have no chance of being acquitted. His best hope is to lay low in Latin America and hope Rand gets elected so the bogus "espionage" charges get taken off the table.

Yeah, I'd guess that's why he's holding out right now. If they dropped espionage in a plea bargain, coming back to the U.S. may be an option. He seemed like he was prepared to do a year or 2 in the brig, but not 10 to 30. Time can only help his position, if he can get somewhere where he doesn't wear out his welcome.

ItsTime
07-07-2013, 03:28 PM

They would suicide him before that....

RickyJ
07-07-2013, 03:32 PM

Yeah, they really want to make an example out of him to help make sure no one else decides to leak anything. The NSA/CIA have much to be afraid of since they have committed some extremely criminal acts of treason.

CPUd
07-07-2013, 03:36 PM

That's not the play to make at this stage. It has the potential to cause real riots.

TheTexan
07-07-2013, 03:38 PM
That's not the play to make at this stage. It has the potential to cause real riots.

I disagree.. I think it would be in the news for about a day, people would be like "shrug, I guess he had no where to run and offed himself. what time does honey boo boo season 2 start next week?"

RickyJ
07-07-2013, 04:05 PM
I disagree.. I think it would be in the news for about a day, people would be like "shrug, I guess he had no where to run and offed himself. what time does honey boo boo season 2 start next week?"

It seems most don't care unless it affects them or someone they know personally. They can shoot him in the back of the head and call it a suicide and there will be no riots. The sheep are too busy trying to survive to cause the government any trouble.