PDA

View Full Version : The media has plugged the tea party several times now. The question is "Why"?

IHaveaDream
11-27-2007, 07:38 AM
Have you noticed how often the media is now mentioning, or asking about, the Dec. 16 Tea Party event? Very suspicious. I've been a political junkie for most of my 50 years. Time and time again I've seen the media try to build or destroy a campaign for one reason or another. I'm not sure what they're up to, but they're definately ratcheting up the expectations surrounding our next big money bomb. I suspect that they either want to see it fall far short so they can validate their claim that RP is "all hat and no cattle", or they actually want it to be huge so it will liven things up on the campaign trail and in the newsroom.

Your thoughts?

krott5333
11-27-2007, 07:42 AM
well even if we dont hit 10 million, it will still be huge.

our goal last time was 10 million. . the 4.3 was huge.

there is not a doubt in my mind.. we WILL exceed $6 mil, no problem. I'm in for $400!

hambone1982
11-27-2007, 07:44 AM
I think they're hoping that Dec. 16th is a flop so that they can say RP doesn't have real support.

That's why we have to make sure it is the biggest fund raising day in history.

krott5333
11-27-2007, 07:46 AM
I think they're hoping that Dec. 16th is a flop so that they can say RP doesn't have real support.

That's why we have to make sure it is the biggest fund raising day in history.

dont they realize they are promoting it everytime they mention it?

kylejack
11-27-2007, 07:46 AM
They're plugging it because its a fascinating story to them. They really did believe Ron Paul had very little support, and we totally blew them away on one of the most important metrics that they use to measure campaign strength. They really are impressed.

user
11-27-2007, 08:04 AM
The goal was $10 million last time, but they didn't expect much so they focused on the $4.3 million. This time I hope it goes a lot higher.

Adamsa
11-27-2007, 08:27 AM
They plug it so they can report on it when it's a success (hopefully).

EvilNight
11-27-2007, 08:28 AM
Contrary to what a lot of conspiracy theorists would have you believe, there is no active conspiracy to suppress Ron Paul. The truth is much worse. There's a collective bias against non-mainstream politics that just crushes anything of the like down into the bottom of the media's reporting.

Now, that said, EVERYONE loves an underdog story, it's just human nature. The 4.3M on Guy Fawkes Day put the underdog idea into everyone's heads. The media are now fighting with their impulse to ignore third party politics on one hand and covering a very interesting underdog story on the other. Ron is now firmly in the "slow news day" slot.

So, they will keep mentioning the Boston Tea Party. I'd wager most of them expect it to be equal to or less than the original, and they will just say that RP has had his shot and lost it.

If it scores much larger (triple? more?) than the last money bomb, the media will start giving Ron Paul active coverage because his underdog credibility will go through the roof. When/if that happens, Ron will go viral. That's why Dec 16th is so important. This is also why a solid rally in Boston would be useful - media coverage of a huge crowd of people all worked up over a politician, of all things, would be something not seen in decades.

Give the media an excuse, and they will cover Ron Paul. They are just slow, of one opinion in general, and have limited air time. Internet news sources do not suffer from those three problems common to traditional media.

This has really turned into a showdown between traditional media and the new internet media. Ron is BIG news in internet media - I haven't visited a single site in months now on any subject that didn't have something, somewhere, about Ron Paul - be it a story, forum post, or just someone's signature. The internet has already decided that Ron Paul is the biggest news story of the campaign. It'll take traditional media a while longer to catch on.

Conza88
11-27-2007, 08:33 AM
EvilNight, very good critique!! :D

16th is going to be massive. Lets make it soo!!!!

JMann
11-27-2007, 08:49 AM
They may want to see a Paul surge in New Hampshire to give them something to do. The news today is how the Democrat's race is now between Oprah and Bill. The usual suspects on the news where so giddy that something is going on. They have been propping up Obama big time since the Hill screw up several weeks ago in the debate. The last thing the media wants is for this to be over the 2nd week of January.

They want Hill and O to go into March and they haven't figured out what to do on the Republican side. They seem to want to push Huck but he can't go anywhere after Iowa except maybe SC. The Republican race is so up in the air and for Paul's sake we have to hope McCain doesn't start to bounce. If he were to somehow able to cause lightning to strike twice he could knock out Willard, Rudy, Freddy and Huck after SC. McCain wins NH he very well could end up on the fast track to the nomination.

newmedia4ron
11-27-2007, 08:50 AM
Are you registered?
Are you a delegate?
Have you applied to be a Poll Worker and/or Vote Count Watcher?
Do you know your polling place?
Have you recruited other supporters to become delegates?
Have you circulated a petition?
Have you verified (from the horse’s mouth) that Ron Paul will be on your state’s ballot?
Do you attend GOP meetings (township - county – state)?
Have you canvassed collecting names and phone numbers and sent it to HQ?
Have you promoted Ron Paul to Christian media and ProLife groups?
Do you ask your local television stations to profile/interview Ron Paul?
Do you write letters to you local newspapers?
Have you promoted Ron Paul at gunshows, anti-war rallies, prolife meetings, etc?
Have you passed out registration forms to young supporters?
Do you call talk radio shows and pitch (http://bhday.wordpress.com/2007/10/29/pitching-ron-paul/) Ron Paul?
Do you have the names, addresses, and phone numbers of your meetup members to be ready to mobilize when needed?
Have you hit the streets passing out DVDs/literature?
Have you sent letters to celebrities asking for an endorsement?
Have you attempted to get your local public access channel to play Ron Paul videos such as his previous interviews in public access shows?

How is this thread productive?

LBT
11-27-2007, 09:11 AM
Why?

Because it is INTERESTING to them in the same way that it is EXCITING to us.

Are any other campaign grassroots supporters excited about anything coming up? (If so, not very and not many.)

stevedasbach
11-27-2007, 09:18 AM
They're plugging it because its a fascinating story to them. They really did believe Ron Paul had very little support, and we totally blew them away on one of the most important metrics that they use to measure campaign strength. They really are impressed.

+1

Benaiah
11-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Just make sure that you guys are getting real life people to donate even $10 or $20 bucks. It all adds up. I've only gotten 1 person to donate a $100 or more, but have 6 or 7 who are going to donate less than a $100.

Wayne Hammond
11-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Yeah, I agree that it's probably not some conspiracy to "set us up". MSM operates on advertising dollars - and if they can generate something to create a stir, people tune in, ratings go up, and advertising revenue increases.

As I've said before, as far as negative press coverage, it will not hurt us much if we fail to hit our Nov. 30th goal of $12 mil for the quarter, or even miss our Dec. 16th goal of $10 mil in one day... the press simply does not report failed grassroots efforts... it's just not news.

They do, however, report HUGE record-breaking days like Nov 5th.

There is little downside (as far as media coverage) to Nov 30th or Dec. 16 - we've got nothing to lose by promoting both dates.

But, aside from the press coverage for these events, we still need the money badly, both early in the campaign (Nov 30th) and for the Tea Party on Dec. 16th.

reduen
11-27-2007, 09:27 AM
They believe that the event is going to bomb so they will bring lots of attention to it. Simple as that...

I personally believe that it will bring no more than 3mill but I hope I am wrong.

Having said that, I also believe that we have done a tremedous job raising money so far and I do not think that it should be taken lightly that we will most definetly make the 12mill goal for the quarter!!! Great job guys/gals!

Go Ron Paul 08!

Now lets go hand out some slim jims or something... :)

Revolution9
11-27-2007, 10:28 AM
Are you registered?
Are you a delegate?
Have you applied to be a Poll Worker and/or Vote Count Watcher?
Do you know your polling place?
Have you recruited other supporters to become delegates?
Have you circulated a petition?
Have you verified (from the horse’s mouth) that Ron Paul will be on your state’s ballot?
Do you attend GOP meetings (township - county – state)?
Have you canvassed collecting names and phone numbers and sent it to HQ?
Have you promoted Ron Paul to Christian media and ProLife groups?
Do you ask your local television stations to profile/interview Ron Paul?
Do you write letters to you local newspapers?
Have you promoted Ron Paul at gunshows, anti-war rallies, prolife meetings, etc?
Have you passed out registration forms to young supporters?
Do you call talk radio shows and pitch (http://bhday.wordpress.com/2007/10/29/pitching-ron-paul/) Ron Paul?
Do you have the names, addresses, and phone numbers of your meetup members to be ready to mobilize when needed?
Have you hit the streets passing out DVDs/literature?
Have you sent letters to celebrities asking for an endorsement?
Have you attempted to get your local public access channel to play Ron Paul videos such as his previous interviews in public access shows?

How is this thread productive?

How does this post contribute to this thread? Hypocrite.

Randy

nathanmn
11-27-2007, 10:47 AM
They believe that the event is going to bomb so they will bring lots of attention to it. Simple as that...

I personally believe that it will bring no more than 3mill but I hope I am wrong.

Having said that, I also believe that we have done a tremedous job raising money so far and I do not think that it should be taken lightly that we will most definetly make the 12mill goal for the quarter!!! Great job guys/gals!

Go Ron Paul 08!

Now lets go hand out some slim jims or something... :)

??? There are more pledges now than when the 4.3 million was raised. I am pretty much expecting more than that 4.3 million. I've seen a lot of people throw out high numbers for what they are donating. Remember, if everyone on that list averages a $500 donation then it would be more than a 10 million day.

seapilot
11-27-2007, 10:47 AM
The MSM still wants proof that there is real support. Many pundits still think that Nov 5 was a one time event that cant be repeated. Dec. 16 will validate that it can and we are real. Dec. 16 will be a big event just like it was in 1773, some people will donate just to have a chance to make history again.

tangent4ronpaul
11-27-2007, 10:50 AM
Because they noticed that their viewership/ratings go up whenever they mention Ron Paul.

They are hyping the Blimp too.

-n

literatim
11-27-2007, 10:52 AM
Contrary to what a lot of conspiracy theorists would have you believe, there is no active conspiracy to suppress Ron Paul. The truth is much worse. There's a collective bias against non-mainstream politics that just crushes anything of the like down into the bottom of the media's reporting.

You clearly do not know anything about what the media did to Pat Buchanan when he ran for President.

conner_condor
11-27-2007, 10:52 AM
What reporters mentioned the 16th to get a better idea of what might be going on here.

American
11-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Interesting, I hope RP has a backup site in case the web site now for some strange reason has problems.

The campaign should set up a backup paypal account, this would be a flop if the site doesnt work.

Dustancostine
11-27-2007, 11:11 AM
Has anyone planned an on the ground event in Boston yet for the 16th?

--Dustan

Naraku
11-27-2007, 11:42 AM
The media's covering it for the same reason they're covering Obama and Huckabee. The media, like everyone else, loves an upset!

They love big numbers and big movements of people. It's just that simple. Negative press is motivated more by some anger or frustration with a candidate they consider a long-shot being treated like a serious contender. People don't like the idea that they can be so badly wrong about something when their whole job is to get the right information out.

People love underdogs and people hate being wrong. That's the big secret to the positive and negative coverage in the media.

Does Hannity get mad about Ron Paul doing well in the debate polls because he's conspiring against him? No, he's mad because he thinks Ron Paul is a loser candidate with no support and shouldn't be getting any backing. That's where a lot of negative press comes from.

hopeforamerica
11-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Has anyone planned an on the ground event in Boston yet for the 16th?

--Dustan

Yes! There was a thread about it this morning. Go look for it, it's good stuff!

brumans
11-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Because they know our potential now.