PDA

View Full Version : NYC-New rule will require you notify cops if you have more than 40 people at your home.

Anti Federalist
07-06-2013, 10:46 PM
So much for that "peaceably assembling" nonsense, eh?

NYC Councilman Williams Proposes ‘House Party’ Legislation

Question Remains: Is This Added Protection, Or An Infringement Of Rights?

July 5, 2013 11:59 PM

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/07/05/nyc-councilman-williams-proposes-nyc-house-party-legislation/

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – It’s a proposal that could make Brooklyn a bit more mellow, a push to prevent large and unruly gatherings by forcing people to get permission to party.

Recently, a massive house party, hosting more than 200 people, took place in the borough and some residents told CBS 2’s Derricke Dennis they’re sick of it.

“Just too many, because after the incident you can see is like long lines of people running down the street; Yeah, just too many,” one neighbor said.

Parties like that one two Sundays ago are the focus of a new proposal from City Councilman Jumaane Williams, cracking down on what he calls advertised “house clubs,” where there’s a cover charge, drinks are being sold, and huge crowds are in attendance.

“We think when there’s 200-300 people in a backyard and this happens on a routine basis, you’re really inviting trouble,” Williams said.

The proposal would mean anyone hosting a party with 40 or more people invited would have to register the event with the police.

“All we said is we have to inform the precinct and inform the community aboard. You wouldn’t have to ask for approval. You wouldn’t have to ask for permission,” Williams said.

(ROFL - Yeah right, yet. - AF

Erron Jones’ nephew threw once threw a party that ended in a night of violence. He agreed, if police knew in advance, they may have gotten there faster.

“I think it’s a good idea. At least that way the precinct, or whoever is in charge, can moderate,” Jones said.

In the area of the recent gigantic house party, most neighbors support the councilman’s plan, but the councilman, himself, said he expects there to be some opposition, especially among those who wonder if a registration requirement could be a violation of privacy.”

“It was really to start off the conversation. This is definitely not a final thing,” Williams said.

So is this added protection, or an infringement of rights? The answer remains to be seen.

Councilman Williams also wants to create fines for people who advertise their party on social media and charge for admission and drinks, Dennis reported.

angelatc
07-06-2013, 10:50 PM
Councilman Williams also wants to create fines for people who advertise their party on social media and charge for admission and drinks, Dennis reported.

I suspect it is already illegal to charge for drinks unless you have a liquor license. So you'd think the social media advertising would help them enforce their laws.

oyarde
07-06-2013, 10:54 PM
Obviously , they need to check tax stamps on the cigarettes, collect the admission money , check ounces on soda etc ....LOL , New York....

PaulConventionWV
07-06-2013, 11:11 PM
So much for that "peaceably assembling" nonsense, eh?

NYC Councilman Williams Proposes ‘House Party’ Legislation

Question Remains: Is This Added Protection, Or An Infringement Of Rights?

July 5, 2013 11:59 PM

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/07/05/nyc-councilman-williams-proposes-nyc-house-party-legislation/

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – It’s a proposal that could make Brooklyn a bit more mellow, a push to prevent large and unruly gatherings by forcing people to get permission to party.

Recently, a massive house party, hosting more than 200 people, took place in the borough and some residents told CBS 2’s Derricke Dennis they’re sick of it.

“Just too many, because after the incident you can see is like long lines of people running down the street; Yeah, just too many,” one neighbor said.

Parties like that one two Sundays ago are the focus of a new proposal from City Councilman Jumaane Williams, cracking down on what he calls advertised “house clubs,” where there’s a cover charge, drinks are being sold, and huge crowds are in attendance.

“We think when there’s 200-300 people in a backyard and this happens on a routine basis, you’re really inviting trouble,” Williams said.

The proposal would mean anyone hosting a party with 40 or more people invited would have to register the event with the police.

“All we said is we have to inform the precinct and inform the community aboard. You wouldn’t have to ask for approval. You wouldn’t have to ask for permission,” Williams said.

(ROFL - Yeah right, yet. - AF

Erron Jones’ nephew threw once threw a party that ended in a night of violence. He agreed, if police knew in advance, they may have gotten there faster.

“I think it’s a good idea. At least that way the precinct, or whoever is in charge, can moderate,” Jones said.

In the area of the recent gigantic house party, most neighbors support the councilman’s plan, but the councilman, himself, said he expects there to be some opposition, especially among those who wonder if a registration requirement could be a violation of privacy.”

“It was really to start off the conversation. This is definitely not a final thing,” Williams said.

So is this added protection, or an infringement of rights? The answer remains to be seen.

It's just so funny. Whenever a debate about the constitutionality of some new law comes up, the inevitable answer is, "Dunno, let's just do it and find out later."

ClydeCoulter
07-06-2013, 11:27 PM
"Daddy, are we there yet?"

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-07-2013, 12:15 AM
illegal to charge for drinks specifically, but not illegal to charge for admission. Sounds kinda like prostitution being illegal, but paying 2 people to have sex in front of a camera is fine.

aGameOfThrones
07-07-2013, 12:31 AM
http://www.papermag.com/uploaded_images/24216673_dealwithit_gif.gif

The Free Hornet
07-07-2013, 12:41 AM
US:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution# Text

NY:

No law shall be passed abridging the rights of the people peaceably to assemble and to petition the government, or any department thereof;

http://www.dos.ny.gov/info/constitution.htm

Although the law says you aren't asking for permission - only informing - it can be argued that that is an onerous burden. More so it is worrisome if they are meeting to discuss an issue affecting local governance. I suspect some of the motivation is to setup scape goats for whatever goes wrong. Plausable deniability is harder for a party you registered.

Guilty admission: I kind of like the movie Project X (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1636826/).

TheTexan
07-07-2013, 01:12 AM
Sounds like reasonable, common sense legislation

opal
07-07-2013, 06:57 AM
so much for a flash rave eh?

tod evans
07-07-2013, 07:07 AM
http://www.thejrexperiment.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/dog-licking-balls.jpg

presence
07-07-2013, 07:46 AM
Thread: Brooklyn: "Permission to Party" (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?420503-Brooklyn-quot-Permission-to-Party-quot)

torchbearer
07-07-2013, 08:40 AM
i had a job offer from a company in nyc. i decline it. thanked them, but told them i couldn't live and work in such a place.

Origanalist
07-07-2013, 08:48 AM
You got fight(notify teh authorities), for your right, to pahteh!

WM_in_MO
07-07-2013, 09:32 AM
i had a job offer from a company in nyc. i decline it. thanked them, but told them i couldn't live and work in such a place.

REP

asurfaholic
07-07-2013, 09:41 AM
This is a direct violation of the freedom of assembly.

jonhowe
07-07-2013, 09:52 AM
I love living here in New York, but it can't go on like this much longer.

Yes it's oppressive, but I have 5 chinese places within 3 blocks.

torchbearer
07-07-2013, 09:54 AM
I love living here in New York, but it can't go on like this much longer.

Yes it's oppressive, but I have 5 chinese places within 3 blocks.

you really only need one excellent chinese place within 3 blocks.
most other places can provide that much for you without the butt searches.

Michigan11
07-07-2013, 11:37 AM
You know as they say, "all politics are local".... The powers that be that have run the federal level for so long, have created an artificial leadership style that appears to be running down stream, due to media indoctrination.

Philhelm
07-07-2013, 11:57 AM

I told my wife that I've never visited the benighted city, nor will I ever.

heavenlyboy34
07-07-2013, 12:09 PM
You got fight(notify teh authorities), for your right, to pahteh!
lolz..psst-your age is showing! ;) :D

MelissaWV
07-07-2013, 12:38 PM
This discriminates against those of us who can only count to potato.

Origanalist
07-07-2013, 01:07 PM
This discriminates against those of us who can only count to potato.

I though you was one of them there city gals??

http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbview_approve/12019384/2/stock-photo-12019384-smoking-redneck-woman-with-gun-and-beer.jpg

MelissaWV
07-07-2013, 01:12 PM
I though you was one of them there city gals??

I been everywhere, man.

I was only half-joking, though. Will this become an issue if it "appears" I have 40 people at my house? What if I have 39 but the cop counted 40? Will I get to plead my case from jail? Does the cop count as the 40th person, thereby putting me in violation? If 10 of them step out into the street, does it still count (since the street is not actually my home)?

aGameOfThrones
07-07-2013, 01:16 PM
I been everywhere, man.

I was only half-joking, though. Will this become an issue if it "appears" I have 40 people at my house? What if I have 39 but the cop counted 40? Will I get to plead my case from jail? Does the cop count as the 40th person, thereby putting me in violation? If 10 of them step out into the street, does it still count (since the street is not actually my home)?

Does your family count or are they exempt from the 40?

Origanalist
07-07-2013, 01:23 PM
Will this become an issue if it "appears" I have 40 people at my house? Yes

What if I have 39 but the cop counted 40? Guilty as charged.

Will I get to plead my case from jail? Only after at least 30 days have passed.

Does the cop count as the 40th person, thereby putting me in violation? He counts as 5.

If 10 of them step out into the street, does it still count (since the street is not actually my home)? Yes.

Origanalist
07-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Does your family count or are they exempt from the 40?

Of course they aren't exempt, silly mundane. :rolleyes:

opal
07-07-2013, 01:28 PM
think of all the fund raising political parties.. see something.. say something

MelissaWV
07-07-2013, 01:29 PM
think of all the fund raising political parties.. see something.. say something

Good point. I'm sure there will be a servant/butler/valet exemption.

I<3Liberty
07-07-2013, 01:46 PM
We had this problem at my uni. We have on campus apartments that house undergrads, grad students, and faulty. The undergrads would have super rowdy parties (like 70 people in a 3-bedroom apartment) and get noise complaints. They were also furnishing alcohol to minors and completely trashing the place and university lawns. It's terrible! I cannot stand the obnoxious party animals and partying/drinking culture. They basically ruined it for the older students and faculty because now even if you're of age or a 40-year-old professor, you cannot have alcohol in an on campus apartment.

200+ people at a house party in an urban area is obviously going to disturb the other residents. It gets tricky when you try to pick that cutoff number (in this case, 40) because you could have a chill and collected party with 45 people. I guess you could say no one would report such a party, so as long as you can keep it under control, people could get away with the 40-person rule. Either way, something does need to be done about it because imagine being that person next door with oodles of drunkards trashing the place and making a ridiculous amount of noise.

Brian4Liberty
07-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Aren't there already a plethora of laws that would apply to this situation if a house party (business) gets out of hand? They always have an excuse for new laws...