PDA

View Full Version : Venezuela offers Snowden asylum

economics102
07-05-2013, 06:28 PM
Good news on a Friday, as it should be :)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/06/us-usa-security-venezuela-idUSBRE96500420130706?irpc=932

economics102
07-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Is it possible to fly directly from Russia to Venezuela?

Warlord
07-05-2013, 06:32 PM
He should go there.

Then I win and collect 2 packs of cigarettes from AF

Kotin
07-05-2013, 06:32 PM
Is that the best option??

Iceland and Ecuador seem like much better choices politically.. But asylum is asylum I suppose..

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-05-2013, 06:34 PM

Iceland and Ecuador seem like much better choices politically.. But asylum is asylum I suppose..

fuck politics

LibertyEagle
Didn't Iceland and Ecuador turn him down?

Warlord

Iceland is a NATO member and Ecudaor have been leaned on and done some deal to extend their trade rights and turned him down.

Why Venez? Because they have oil and gas and they can't have the screws turned on them by the US or anyone.

Also Maduro should be president for a long time, ...

Definitely his best option. Just how does he get there though?

economics102
07-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Didn't Iceland and Ecuador turn him down?

Ecuador and Iceland say they won't consider asylum requests until Snowden is on their soil (i.e. they won't issue refugee papers to help him travel there)

Iceland didn't turn him down per se, but an attempt in the Icelandic parliament to grant Snowden citizenship was tabled by the majority parties and the parliament is now in recess until September.

LibertyEagle
07-05-2013, 06:40 PM
I wish our federal government went on recess for 1/2 the year.

economics102
07-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Does this mean Venezuela will issue him refugee papers to travel with? And will a plane carrying him face a similar problem as the Bolivian president faced? Is it possible to fly from Russia to Venezuela withouting crossing the airspace of a non-friendly nation?

Generalissimo
07-05-2013, 06:44 PM

I don't think Aeroflot flies to Caracas. The closest airport they fly to is Havana.

Generalissimo
07-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Ecuador and Iceland say they won't consider asylum requests until Snowden is on their soil (i.e. they won't issue refugee papers to help him travel there)

Iceland didn't turn him down per se, but an attempt in the Icelandic parliament to grant Snowden citizenship was tabled by the majority parties and the parliament is now in recess until September.

Ecuador said it will take a couple months to consider his asylum request.

kcchiefs6465
07-05-2013, 06:50 PM
I don't think Aeroflot flies to Caracas. The closest airport they fly to is Havana.
Crossing over US airspace, probably. You'd need a pilot with balls and assurances that no matter what, they wouldn't shoot down the plane.

TheGrinch
07-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Why Venez? Because they have oil and gas and they can't have the screws turned on them by the US or anyone.

I thought this one of the top reasons countries end up having the screws turned on them.

Good to hear though.

Generalissimo
07-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Crossing over US airspace, probably. You'd need a pilot with balls and assurances that no matter what, they wouldn't shoot down the plane.

You wouldn't have to cross US airspace to get from Moscow to Venezuela or Nicaragua (who also just offered him asylum). You'd have to cross over a lot of the EU, though, then over international airspace over the Atlantic.

Generalissimo
07-05-2013, 07:02 PM
I feel sorry for Snowden, I would hate to live in Venezuela (although the women from there are absolutely gorgeous, iirc Venezuela has more Miss Universes than any other country). Caracas has one of the highest murder rates in the world.

And then Nicaragua...man that place is a shithole.

economics102
07-05-2013, 07:09 PM
Legally, what can Russia do about it if Snowden simply stays in the Moscow terminal?

Wouldn't that put further pressure on the US? Maybe Russia would finally say to Obama "this is your fault that he's stuck here, reinstate his passport?"

Or maybe it would allow time for Snowden's lawyers to legally challenge the USA's legal authority to revoke his passport?

Or it would bide time until countries like Iceland grant him asylum?

Or it would bide him time until the American people put enough political pressure on the Whitehouse to pardom him?

I'd rather live in an airport terminal in Moscow than live in Venezeula.

Back to my original question: What can Putin do about it if Snowden doesn't leave???

Warlord
07-05-2013, 07:10 PM
I feel sorry for Snowden, I would hate to live in Venezuela (although the women from there are absolutely gorgeous, iirc Venezuela has more Miss Universes than any other country). Caracas has one of the highest murder rates in the world.

And then Nicaragua...man that place is a shithole.

They will give him government protection.

Warlord
07-05-2013, 07:11 PM
I thought this one of the top reasons countries end up having the screws turned on them.

Good to hear though.

No, they can sell their products to China, Brazil, wherever. Not only the US. so threats to cut them off are futile,

trey4sports
07-05-2013, 07:21 PM
yeah the bright spot about venez. is that there is definitely no chance of extradition. Venezuela hates the U.S.

Generalissimo
07-05-2013, 07:31 PM
yeah the bright spot about venez. is that there is definitely no chance of extradition. Venezuela hates the U.S.

Venezuela is economically dependent on the US.

Warlord
07-05-2013, 07:37 PM

The US wants its oil... if they cut that off they can survive and sell it somewhere else,

Generalissimo
07-05-2013, 07:38 PM
The US wants its oil... if they cut that off they can survive and sell it somewhere else,

It's not that easy.

torchbearer
07-05-2013, 07:40 PM

until they get the cia led revolt.

Spoa
07-05-2013, 07:41 PM
Snowden's not that smart: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?420407-Nicaragua-offers-Snowden-asylum

He'd be better off in Nicaragua...not Venezuela.

Generalissimo
07-05-2013, 07:41 PM
until they get the cia led revolt.

And the fact that they depend on US refineries for gasoline.

Constitutional Paulicy
07-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Breaking CNN video... http://edition.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/world/2013/07/06/intl-venezuela-snowden-asylum-offer-duplicate-2.cnn.html

daviddee
07-05-2013, 08:03 PM

07-05-2013, 08:31 PM

No, too far, stopover is in Cuba I believe.

Does this mean Venezuela will issue him refugee papers to travel with? And will a plane carrying him face a similar problem as the Bolivian president faced? Is it possible to fly from Russia to Venezuela withouting crossing the airspace of a non-friendly nation?

Maybe south from Moscow over the ex USSR countries then through the Mediterranean or over Africa.

Not really, they can sell their oil anywhere and anyone can refine it.

kcchiefs6465
07-05-2013, 08:33 PM
The joys of watching other Americans speak of the world through the eyes of the media or a 1 to 3 day visit to a "shithole".

As to Nicaragua being a shithole. Clearly you have never been to Roatan or any of the Gulf beaches. Detroit sucks too, thus the whole USA is a shithole... correct?

Venezuela - Caracus does have a high murder rate, but as an American I don't choose to live in East St Louis... Thus I would not say the USA sucks because of East St Louis, Chicago, East LA, Washington DC, etc etc.

Snowden should go to Nicaragua, change his name, and get his new Nicaraguan passport issued in that name. He could travel freely throughout South America and live a somewhat normal life.
I would guess Generalissimo has been to Nicaragua and is speaking from his experiences there.

I wouldn't go to Nicaragua. There are men still alive that we trained and funded that surely wouldn't hesitate to get to Snowden if the price was there. He would be in constant fear of being rendered, taken across State lines to Honduras and from there shipped back. I personally think Venezuela is a better choice. No matter where he goes he will not be safe though.

He will never be able to "travel freely through South America." That is absurd. No matter what he says his name is, he is a white male who has been plastered on every newspaper from here to Quito. Someone would take him for the bounty. That is to say, if CIA proxies in Nicaragua already didn't have a chance. I'd imagine connections weren't ever truly cut.

Contumacious
07-05-2013, 08:44 PM
Good news on a Friday, as it should be :)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/06/us-usa-security-venezuela-idUSBRE96500420130706?irpc=932

Si, es correcto: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfUwMG3e3Pk&feature=player_embedded)

opal
07-05-2013, 11:20 PM
I'm just glad somebody finally stepped up. I feel so bad for Mr Snowden... doing the right thing and getting screwed so badly

GopBlackList
07-06-2013, 12:13 AM
According to Reuters, his option for flight would be:

One alternative flight plan would involve an aircraft taking off from Moscow, refueling in Vladivostok, and then continuing east over the Pacific to South America.

tangent4ronpaul
07-06-2013, 01:14 AM
w00t! - finally! :D

and Venezuela does have a refinery, a big one. It's the second largest refinery in the world:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraguan%C3%A1_Refinery_Complex

-t

compromise
07-06-2013, 02:51 AM
Iceland is a much better option. Fleeing to one of these anti-American nations will hurt him badly among the general American populace.

Warlord
07-06-2013, 02:53 AM
Iceland is a much better option. Fleeing to one of these anti-American nations will hurt him badly among the general American populace.

Iceland is a NATO member and he has no chance there. He will be handed over.

These nations aren't anti-AMerican they tend to be 'anti imperialism' and anti-US government which does not represent anyone but their arrogant selves.

Notice they're offering Snowden -- an American -- sanctuary so if they didn't like Americans or were racist they wouldn't do this

compromise
07-06-2013, 05:12 AM
Iceland is a NATO member and he has no chance there. He will be handed over.

These nations aren't anti-AMerican they tend to be 'anti imperialism' and anti-US government which does not represent anyone but their arrogant selves.

Notice they're offering Snowden -- an American -- sanctuary so if they didn't like Americans or were racist they wouldn't do this

Countries like Venezuela, Cuba, Nicaragua and Ecuador are generally hostile to the United States of America, have extremely low levels of political and economic freedom and were in some cases closely aligned with the Cold War-era Eastern Bloc.

As a result, most Americans have negative views of these countries. It would also be somewhat hypocritical for someone who took such a great stand for liberty to go to a nation that wholeheartedly embraces the very Orwellian system he railed against.

I'm sure the US would have also offered sanctuary to dissidents from enemy nations (USSR, PRC, etc) and indeed they have in the past.

NATO is not an extradition treaty.

GopBlackList
07-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Countries like Venezuela, Cuba, Nicaragua and Ecuador are generally hostile to the United States of America, have extremely low levels of political and economic freedom and were in some cases closely aligned with the Cold War-era Eastern Bloc.

As a result, most Americans have negative views of these countries. It would also be somewhat hypocritical for someone who took such a great stand for liberty to go to a nation that wholeheartedly embraces the very Orwellian system he railed against.

I'm sure the US would have also offered sanctuary to dissidents from enemy nations (USSR, PRC, etc) and indeed they have in the past.

NATO is not an extradition treaty.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/p480x480/1005099_392535257519006_1347698613_n.jpg

Warlord
07-06-2013, 02:12 PM
That's pretty awesome from el presidente'