PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else locked out of yahoo mail?

limequat
07-05-2013, 08:03 AM
Yahoo just changed their privacy policy. Basically they admit that they're going to be reading every message and trying to track us.
I tried to opt out and now my account is locked. Nice.
I'm going to be switching to an email on a domain that I own, but I think I may have lost my email contacts. Fuck 'em, right?

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-05-2013, 08:42 AM
uh what part says that?

heavenlyboy34
07-05-2013, 09:19 AM
uh what part says that?
This^^ I use yahoo and haven't heard of this. :/

DamianTV
07-05-2013, 09:22 AM
uh what part says that?

It was all over the news about a month ago. Okay, not really news, but they sent me an email on my yahoo acct stating that they will now "scan the content of your messages", yadda yadda and we have to accept the new "terms of service", as Yahoo Mail Classic went away, well, more like yanked the rug out from under us. It did make some small techie news sites, but you know the majority of media outlets considers your Privacy as something in THEIR way of selling YOU as THEIR product with ZERO regards to the potential problems it can cause.

Reason
07-05-2013, 10:11 AM
www.hushmail.com + VPN

kcchiefs6465
07-05-2013, 10:48 AM
My mail goes back months. I just checked and didn't get anything.

kathy88
07-05-2013, 11:25 AM
My mail goes back months. I just checked and didn't get anything.

They probably chose not to tell you *gasp*

Anti Federalist
07-05-2013, 12:20 PM
I'd like some confirmation of this as well, just to prompt Mrs. AF to drop a yahoo account she has.

ladyjade3
07-05-2013, 12:28 PM
You still use yahoo?

kcchiefs6465
07-05-2013, 12:43 PM
You still use yahoo?
Some of us are stuck in the 2000s. :eek:

kcchiefs6465
07-05-2013, 12:44 PM
They probably chose not to tell you *gasp*
There is a guy who makes a living suing yahoo. (and similar companies)

Might just be another.

heavenlyboy34
07-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Indeed. And I don't know how to make a smooth transition to a new provider. :(

limequat
07-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Indeed. And I don't know how to make a smooth transition to a new provider. :(

Here's what I've been working on today:

converting everything over to a paid domain that I own such as xxx@yourname.com

Linking that to a local client, MS outlook.

This way my mail isn't on a server of one of the big boys that are known to hand data over to the feds willy-nilly. And I can store messages on my harddrive. I'm (more) in control than if the data was sitting on a yahoo server.

heavenlyboy34
07-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Here's what I've been working on today:

converting everything over to a paid domain that I own such as xxx@yourname.com

Linking that to a local client, MS outlook.

This way my mail isn't on a server of one of the big boys that are known to hand data over to the feds willy-nilly. And I can store messages on my harddrive. I'm (more) in control than if the data was sitting on a yahoo server.
Can you have messages sent to your old yahoo addy auto-forwarded to your new addy? Then there's the hassle of saving messages to the hard drive. Is there a quick/easy way to do that?

dannno
07-05-2013, 02:14 PM

At least you still don't have an aol email address.

acptulsa
07-05-2013, 02:19 PM
I quit Yahoo long ago. They didn't make it easy. It takes some doing to figure out how to close the account. But when a spammer got into my contacts and started spamming people--and telling them I gave over the addresses--I was plenty mad enough to do what it took.

I don't remember the steps, but I doubt it would do you any good anyway. I'm sure they change the procedure regularly--maybe even when they have not yet dreamed up a way to make it more difficult (and certainly when they have). Real sweethearts, those Yahoo people.

Anyway, don't take their word for it that the accounts are locked or not cancelable. They will tell you discouraging stuff like that more than once along the path to deleting the account.

limequat
07-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Can you have messages sent to your old yahoo addy auto-forwarded to your new addy? Then there's the hassle of saving messages to the hard drive. Is there a quick/easy way to do that?

In theory you can forward messages. I can't get into my account to do that. I think most local mail clients save to the hard drive by default, so there's nothing to do.

opal
07-05-2013, 02:35 PM
At least you still don't have an aol email address.

um.. hush!
I have emal account from the 90 still active for spam collection at AIM, hotmail,. yahoo,. ICQ and a crap load more that I collected through the years.. lets see. mail.com, wanaboo.com, excite.com, easy.com, (fun addy that one) and my favorite one went belly up a few years ago.. cashette.com - lovely interface.. did the ctrl++ thing zooming without overrunning itself and there are tons more.. it's that bargain basement training from when I was a kid.. find something free.. go for it.

limequat
07-05-2013, 02:36 PM
I quit Yahoo long ago. They didn't make it easy. It takes some doing to figure out how to close the account. But when a spammer got into my contacts and started spamming people--and telling them I gave over the addresses--I was plenty mad enough to do what it took.

I don't remember the steps, but I doubt it would do you any good anyway. I'm sure they change the procedure regularly--maybe even when they have not yet dreamed up a way to make it more difficult (and certainly when they have). Real sweethearts, those Yahoo people.

Anyway, don't take their word for it that the accounts are locked or not cancelable. They will tell you discouraging stuff like that more than once along the path to deleting the account.

EVERYBODY I know with a yahoo account had that happen.

Fuckin yahoo. A couple years back they decided they wanted to be like Facebook and would notify people in my address book of what I was doing online.
"Limequat just read xxx on yahoo finance." Should have shut her down then.

DamianTV
07-05-2013, 03:55 PM
EVERYBODY I know with a yahoo account had that happen.

Fuckin yahoo. A couple years back they decided they wanted to be like Facebook and would notify people in my address book of what I was doing online.
"Limequat just read xxx on yahoo finance." Should have shut her down then.

That didnt apply to Yahoo Mail Classic, until they just cancelled that service period.

Generalissimo
07-05-2013, 04:04 PM
www.hushmail.com (http://www.hushmail.com) + VPN

Hushmail is awesome. I always use it to create new emails to sign up for forum where I have been previously banned.

07-05-2013, 04:11 PM
My yahoo mail is fine and I didn't get any notices.

Warlord
07-05-2013, 04:41 PM
try this:

www.gmx.com based in Europe so strong privacy protections allegedly and not big enough to be on PRISM

Generalissimo
07-05-2013, 04:46 PM
try this:

www.gmx.com (http://www.gmx.com) based in Europe so strong privacy protections allegedly and not big enough to be on PRISM

If you're in the US, regardless of where your mail server is it will be monitored.

Warlord
07-05-2013, 04:49 PM
If you're in the US, regardless of where your mail server is it will be monitored.

Send me an email eduardo:

toraborawarlord@gmx.com

Warlord
07-05-2013, 04:51 PM
Also eduardo did you see this guide I made for the forum on encrypting communications:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?419826-How-to-stop-the-NSA-snooping-on-your-emails

opal
07-05-2013, 06:14 PM
try this:

www.gmx.com (http://www.gmx.com) based in Europe so strong privacy protections allegedly and not big enough to be on PRISM

check.. got one there too - about 2 years ago I think.. whenever gmail last screwed around with their interface

DamianTV
07-05-2013, 07:12 PM
My yahoo mail is fine and I didn't get any notices.

How long ago did you dump Yahoo! Mail CLASSIC?

cindy25
07-05-2013, 09:19 PM
safe-mail.net

easy sign up, encrypted

BSWPaulsen
07-06-2013, 02:38 AM
I still have Yahoo classic. The "remind me later" button reliably keeps their "upgrade" at bay.