PDA

View Full Version : The Obsolete Man [full version] Twilight Zone Classic

Cap
07-04-2013, 05:35 PM
In honor of the police-state, I give you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJyqlxoLuvo&feature=player_detailpage

Part II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3wL5RBC4bA&feature=player_detailpage

Part III

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDn3tcPiMRA&feature=player_detailpage

Sorry for all the edits, I had one of the url's messed up. Fixed now.

MelissaWV
07-04-2013, 05:43 PM
The speech at the end is awesome.

getch36
07-07-2013, 11:55 PM
great episode

Cap
07-08-2013, 05:30 AM
Rod Serling was so far ahead of his time. Tremendous insight.

jkr
07-08-2013, 06:59 AM
bump 4 L8R

fisharmor
07-08-2013, 07:43 AM
What season is this? I've only made it through season 1 on Netflix so far.

Rod Serling was so far ahead of his time. Tremendous insight.

It's been over half a century, and there is still nothing better on TV. Not one single TV show in the last 50 years has been better.

Antischism
07-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Yep, saw this not too long ago. It's a great episode.

Barrex
07-08-2013, 09:08 AM
Ahhhh.... I always love when people post episodes that I love.:D

Henry Rogue
07-08-2013, 09:12 AM
What season is this? I've only made it through season 1 on Netflix so far.

It's been over half a century, and there is still nothing better on TV. Not one single TV show in the last 50 years has been better. Great episode, the individual has little worth in the eyes of the state. IMDb says it was from 1961 season 2 episode 29. Burgess Meredith was in 4 episodes of "The Twilight Zone". I remember "Time Enough at Last" was pretty good too.

Henry Bemis / Luther Dingle / Mr. Smith - the Devil / …
– Printer's Devil (1963) … Mr. Smith - the Devil
– The Obsolete Man (1961) … Romney Wordsworth
– Mr. Dingle, the Strong (1961) … Luther Dingle
– Time Enough at Last (1959) … Henry Bemis
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0580565/?ref_=tt_cl_t1

PaulConventionWV
07-08-2013, 09:21 AM
The state has proven that there is no God! How telling of the times we live in, when evolution is mandated in our schools. The state, indeed, has established itself as the god of the people. There is room for no others.

donnay
07-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Rod Serling is a legend. His foresight was amazing!

HOLLYWOOD
07-08-2013, 11:35 AM
The speech at the end is awesome.Rod Sterling,

"This is not a new world, but is simply an extension of what began in the old world. It has patterned itself after every dictator who has left a ripping imprint of a boot on the pages of history, since the beginning of time. It has refinements, technological advancements, a more sophisticated approach.... To The destruction of human freedom. Like everyone of the 'Super States' that preceded it, IT has one Iron Rule, 'Logic is an Enemy and Truth is a Menace.'

...Any State, any Entity, any Ideology, that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, or rights of man... that state is obsolete"

donnay
07-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Rod Sterling, "It has pattern itseld after every dictator that has left a imprint of a boot. Like everyone of the 'Super States' that preceded It has one rule, Logic is an Enemy and Truth is a Menace. ...
Any State, any Entity, any Ideology, that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, or rights of man... that state is obsolete"

In my signature I took the part of his monologue-- "Logic is an enemy and truth is a menace" is exactly what the fedcoats want everyone to think. Think 9/11.

Chester Copperpot
07-08-2013, 01:06 PM
that was great

TomtheTinker
07-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Classic doesn't begin to describe that show let alone that episode.

Cap
07-09-2013, 08:56 AM
Bump to celebrate our tyranny.

BuddyRey
07-09-2013, 05:58 PM
It's been over half a century, and there is still nothing better on TV. Not one single TV show in the last 50 years has been better.

Amen!

Been a hardcore "Zoner" since I was 13 and I've seen all 156 episodes multiple times, yet they can still stir my imagination and yes, even pull at my heartstrings to this day.

Beorn
07-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Yeah, that's a great episode. Imma have to watch it again.

Czolgosz
07-09-2013, 06:22 PM
Brings me back to my childhood, watching The Twighlight Zone back to back on Saturdays.

And Burgess Meredith!

torchbearer
07-09-2013, 06:29 PM
if you want to view the video in one chunk: http://vimeo.com/15365268

mad cow
07-09-2013, 08:58 PM
In the prologue,Serling is smoking a cigarette as he often did in prologues and epilogues.One of the actors during the course of the show also was smoking a cigarette.
I don't doubt that one or more of the commercials when this episode first aired was by a cigarette company.

I am a smoker,old enough to have seen this episode when it first aired.I have not seen a cigarette on any network TV show or commercial in perhaps twenty or thirty years,although I still see Librarians.

I am the Obsolete Man.

MelissaWV
07-09-2013, 09:07 PM
In the prologue,Serling is smoking a cigarette as he often did in prologues and epilogues.One of the actors during the course of the show also was smoking a cigarette.
I don't doubt that one or more of the commercials when this episode first aired was by a cigarette company.

I am a smoker,old enough to have seen this episode when it first aired.I have not seen a cigarette on any network TV show or commercial in perhaps twenty or thirty years,although I still see Librarians.

I am the Obsolete Man.

It wasn't so long ago that smoking was not THAT huge a sin.

Watch the original Nightmare on Elm Street. They're still smoking in a hospital. Airplane? Smoking on planes.

mad cow
07-09-2013, 09:52 PM
It wasn't so long ago that smoking was not THAT huge a sin.

Watch the original Nightmare on Elm Street. They're still smoking in a hospital. Airplane? Smoking on planes.

Nightmare On Elm Street?1984
Airplane!?1980
And both movies. and also both 25 to 30 years old.

There is a new(3 or 4 months)TV channel in this area called ME TV that plays nothing but old network TV shows.It is my favorite channel.It is where I watched this episode of Twilight Zone,one of 96 episodes I have recorded since receiving this channel.

I know from ME TV that mid-70's TV shows,35-40 years ago still had cigarette smoking on them,I don't recall exactly when it became taboo on network TV.

Cap
07-10-2013, 06:42 AM

I am the Obsolete Man.I too am old enough to have seen the original broadcast of this episode. Like Orwell's 1984, this condensed version was a warning and an eerie forshadowing of the direction of this country's heading. People (the majority) at the time refused to believe it was possible in our "beacon of liberty". Yet they have been proven to have been wrong. Our country is now synonymous with the "beacon of tyranny" label. It is so sad to see how far we have fallen.

Yet there is hope, the critical thinkers are here. Like a beacon himself, Ron Paul brought us together and for that, I am thankful. Josh and now Bryan have facilitated our meeting place and for that, I am thankful. I see the valiant here, I see the brave, I see the same seed that I am sure was planted by our founders here...and for that, I am thankful.