PDA

View Full Version : Iceland's Pirate Party wants to offer Edward Snowden citizenship

mad cow
07-04-2013, 05:07 PM
The same tactic helped get eccentric chess master Bobby Fischer to Iceland from Japan in 2005 to escape U.S. prosecution for breaking sanctions imposed on the former Yugoslavia, according to 21st Century Wire.
Ogmundur Jonasson, whose liberal Left-Green Party is backing the proposal along with the Pirate Party and Brighter Future Party, put the issue before the Judicial Affairs Committee, but the idea received minimal support.
'We wanted to do this earlier,' wrote Pirate Party politician Helgi Hrafn Gunnarsson on his Facebook page. 'But citizenship is an extremely delicate issue when it's granted by parliament instead of granted through ordinary legal processes.'
Iceland's parliament, known as Althing, saw three Pirate Party members elected in 2013. NPR billed the party as an 'international online freedom movement.'
Jonasson argued to parliament on Thursday that Snowden 'is now being chased and has nowhere to go,' according to Icelandic media.
Snowden also has a friend in former Icelandic presidential candidate Asthor Magnusson, who is collecting signatures from Icelanders as part of a petition to make his a citizen.
'I appeal to the oldest parliament in the world, the Althing in Iceland to grant a citizenship to Edward Joseph Snowden and issue him with travel documents for safe passage to Reykjavik,' Magnusson wrote in an appeal to Parliament, according to RT News. 'As matters have developed, I think that Icelanders should say 'This is enough': We support open society and human rights. It's a basic human right to grant this man asylum in Iceland.'
The ruling Conservative and Moderate parties could halt the bill. And some have speculated that the country's president, Ólafur Ragnar Grímsson, could succumb to pressure purportedly being placed on international leaders by the U.S. government and veto the legislation.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2356491/Icelands-Pirate-Party-wants-offer-Edward-Snowden-citizenship.html#ixzz2Y7YWB12X
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

They are a minority Party but,who knows?If it happened,I assume he could just climb aboard an Iceland bound plane with his new passport.

Carlybee
07-04-2013, 05:12 PM
This article says 3 parties are trying but can be vetoed

http://21stcenturywire.com/2013/07/04/breaking-news-iceland-congress-puts-forward-bill-to-grant-snowden-citizenship/

07-04-2013, 05:12 PM
They are a minority Party but,who knows?If it happened,I assume he could just climb aboard an Iceland bound plane with his new passport.

Sort of. He can't fly into the airspace of any country friendly to the us. I think most flights to Iceland leave from Europe.

mad cow
07-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Sort of. He can't fly into the airspace of any country friendly to the us. I think most flights to Iceland leave from Europe.

Russia > Arctic Ocean > Atlantic Ocean > Iceland?

Warlord
07-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Iceland no way, NATO member.

Venezuela his only secure option

07-04-2013, 07:07 PM
Russia > Arctic Ocean > Atlantic Ocean > Iceland?

Maybe. Obama claims he wouldn't scramble planes to intercept in international airspace, but I have my doubts. There might even be an accident.

Iceland no way, NATO member.

Venezuela his only secure option

A lefty US hating dictatorship in south America is probably his best bet right now, pick your favorite one.

Warlord
07-04-2013, 07:16 PM
Maybe. Obama claims he wouldn't scramble planes to intercept in international airspace, but I have my doubts. There might even be an accident.

A lefty US hating dictatorship in south America is probably his best bet right now, pick your favorite one.

I already did. Been calling it for a week or more. Venezuela has oil and gas and impossible to turn the screws on them plus they have an unpopular president who desperately needs a propaganda coup