PDA

View Full Version : Boys with sisters are more likely to be 'sexist

mad cow
07-03-2013, 08:45 PM
and Republican because they are never made to cook or clean' research claims

Having only female siblings makes boys more likely be Republicans as adults, new research claims.
Professors from Loyola Marymount University and Stanford University analyzed surveys completed by more than 3,000 individuals when they were aged ten plus in 1987 and again a decade later.
They concluded that men in their 20s and 30s who grew up with sisters and no brothers were 8.3per cent more likely to identify as Republican because they developed 'more traditional views of gender'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2355151/Boys-sisters-likely-sexist-Republican-cook-clean-research-claims.html#ixzz2Y2b6FpZr
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Two sisters,no brothers here.

Now go make me a sammich.

Scrapmo
07-03-2013, 08:48 PM
...they developed 'more traditional views of gender'

Oh the horror!:eek:

Dr.3D
07-03-2013, 08:49 PM
I remember a time when men were men and women were darned glad of it.

Edit:
I have one brother and one sister, both older than I am.
I remember when my sister would accidentally leave her bedroom door open and I could see her with nothing on and I would say, "here comes the circus." She would tell me to shut up and slam the bedroom door.

Generalissimo
07-03-2013, 08:57 PM
No sister, but considered a mysoginist on this forum by some because I believe in traditional complementarian gender roles.

Carson
07-03-2013, 09:19 PM
You say it like it's a bad thing.

I<3Liberty
07-03-2013, 09:25 PM
This goes back to the fact that (for the most part) beliefs are passed through culture. If you grew up in a communist country with complimentarian gender roles -- you'd be far more likely to accept these beliefs and political positions just as you'd be far more likely to accept the contrary if it was what you grew up around.

I have one brother -- we both have egalitarian views. Interestingly enough, we defy so many gender stereotypes. He has perfect stereotypical "girly" handwriting... I do not. :D He's really sensitive and overreacts to like everything -- I'm very mellow. He also spends more time in the bathroom while I have my entire daily routine timed down to like the half minute, so I can best maximize my time. We grew up around a lot of diversity, reversed gender roles, and exemplify them in our own characteristics, so it's the norm for us rather than the exception.

I really don't care what people's positions are, as long as they don't push them on other people. That being said, I'd never even think about dating a person that disagrees with egalitarianism.

Generalissimo
07-03-2013, 09:31 PM
He has perfect stereotypical "girly" handwriting... I do not.

I think that has more to do with public schooling and the lack of emphasis on penmanship, cursive, and the rise of computers. I've never understood the "I'm a guy so my writing looks like a retarded 3-year old's" argument.

Dr.3D
07-03-2013, 09:32 PM
I think that has more to do with public schooling and the lack of emphasis on penmanship, cursive, and the rise of computers. I've never understood the "I'm a guy so my writing looks like a retarded 3-year old's" argument.
I tend to print more often than I write.

Generalissimo
07-03-2013, 09:33 PM
I really don't care what people's positions are, as long as they don't push them on other people. That being said, I'd never even think about dating a person that disagrees with egalitarianism.

What do you mean by egalitarianism? Obviously everyone, especially those who believe in complementarian gender roles, believe men and women were created equally by God, should have the same rights under the law, and deserve the same respect and dignity.

The ones who try and push the idea that men and women are exactly the same are the ones who are anti-woman. Men and women are not the same, we have different roles, different strengths and weaknesses, different emotions, different interests, etc. That does not make one sex better than the other, we're just simply different and that's a beautiful thing.

I<3Liberty
07-03-2013, 09:41 PM

We both had to do art classes, cursive and penmanship workbooks at our public school. He's always been the artsy one with flawless handwriting. My handwriting just sucks, as well as my artwork. The whole "guys have messy handwriting" is a sexist stereotype and as an egalitarian, I do not buy it -- however, a lot of people still have stereotypes about what skills each gender is better at, what occupations they should or should not do, etc.

Generalissimo
07-03-2013, 09:47 PM
We both had to do art classes, cursive and penmanship workbooks at our public school. He's always been the artsy one with flawless handwriting. My handwriting just sucks, as well as my artwork. The whole "guys have messy handwriting" is a sexist stereotype and as an egalitarian, I do not buy it -- however, a lot of people still have stereotypes about what skills each gender is better at, what occupations they should or should not do, etc.

Sorry but it's not sexist to say men are physically stronger than women. It's not sexist to say that coal miner is a man's job. It's not sexist to say women are more adept at being pre-school teachers.

We're different, get used to it.

I<3Liberty
07-03-2013, 10:01 PM
What do you mean by egalitarianism? Obviously everyone, especially those who believe in complementarian gender roles, believe men and women were created equally by God, should have the same rights under the law, and deserve the same respect and dignity.

The ones who try and push the idea that men and women are exactly the same are the ones who are anti-woman. Men and women are not the same, we have different roles, different strengths and weaknesses, different emotions, different interests, etc. That does not make one sex better than the other, we're just simply different and that's a beautiful thing.

Sure they do, and I said its fine if that's how they wanna live, but it should be under mutual agreement. I have no problem if people want to live a complimentarian lifestyle. Personally, I'm egalitarian. See www.cbeinternational.org (http://www.cbeinternational.org) for more info on the Christian egalitarians.

Sex differences are based off hormone levels and sensitivity to these hormones. Women with Congentital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH) are born with xx chromosomes, yet they do not respond to female sex hormones like most females do. Because of this, they develop more physical masculine characteristics and are more likely to be attracted to women.

Gender differences are culturally driven. I like to use people with aspergers syndrome as an example. They are known to beat to the sound of their own drummer and ignore a lot of the social pressures to conform to certain molds. I know a girl with aspergers that doesn't like stereotypical girly things (i.e. makeup, fashion, and shopping) she likes anime, karate, math, and physics. She doesn't give a crap when people think its weird that she'd rather read anime than Twilight or do something more mentally stimulating than shoe shopping. On the other hand, I love to shoe shop, but (like my friend) I also would pick anime over some cheesy romance novel. If you surveyed guys and girls, you'd get so much variation in responses regarding their interests and abilities. Once again, you cannot make assumptions especially when these differences have so much variation from person to person and culture to culture.

Sorry but it's not sexist to say men are physically stronger than women. It's not sexist to say that coal miner is a man's job. It's not sexist to say women are more adept at being pre-school teachers.

We're different, get used to it.

...and some wouldn't do well with either of those jobs. See the previous post about what designates these differences. It's the result of sex hormone levels and how you respond to them rather than whether or not you identify as a man or women. There's a lot of cool animal experiments where scientists give the animal hormone blockers and then inject it with the opposite hormones and the animal does develop and behave like the opposites sex. Transgender persons that get hormone blockers and sex hormones will also physically change. I mean, so much that you could never tell some of them ever swapped sexes.

gwax23
07-03-2013, 10:05 PM
No Siblings but Im definitely a sexist...

(That means you like sex, right?)

heavenlyboy34
07-03-2013, 10:29 PM
I have an obese younger sister. I'm totally a sexist, chauvinist pig, of course. AmyPi can verify this if you don't believe it.

ETA: I'm not a republican. I used to be, but I was cured of that nonsense. :)

kcchiefs6465
07-03-2013, 10:36 PM

This is more my views on the matter. I believe in a "traditional family" as being the best environment for the child. That is not to say roles be set in stone, just that a child will respond best when they have both a motherly and fatherly figure. Mother being generally more caring and nurturing and the father being more of a discipline figure. (at least for the better part of the child's childhood) After a certain age I feel more responsibility should be placed at the feet of the child so that adulthood isn't overwhelming.

I find it sick how far as a society we've come to have a campaign push for women to be included eligible for draft as some sort of modern equal rights "suffrage" plight. Frankly I am a little disturbed women are sent into combat whatsoever. It's one thing for our men to be sent for needless aggressive wars fought for narrow political reasoning but we have to send our women there as well. Most people advocating this supposed fight for women's rights would be best not to think about what would happen to a female if she were to be captured.

I guess that makes me a sexist. /shrugs

Neil Desmond
07-03-2013, 10:44 PM
and Republican because they are never made to cook or clean' research claims
Or, how about not a Democrat? I have a sister and I'm not a Democrat (oh, and yeah I'm prolly a sexist too).

mad cow
07-03-2013, 10:47 PM
Was the headline to the story,I always try to get the whole headline in there to make searching easier.

AlexAmore
07-03-2013, 11:15 PM
This is more my views on the matter. I believe in a "traditional family" as being the best environment for the child. That is not to say roles be set in stone, just that a child will respond best when they have both a motherly and fatherly figure. Mother being generally more caring and nurturing and the father being more of a discipline figure. (at least for the better part of the child's childhood) After a certain age I feel more responsibility should be placed at the feet of the child so that adulthood isn't overwhelming.

I find it sick how far as a society we've come to have a campaign push for women to be included eligible for draft as some sort of modern equal rights "suffrage" plight. Frankly I am a little disturbed women are sent into combat whatsoever. It's one thing for our men to be sent for needless aggressive wars fought for narrow political reasoning but we have to send our women there as well. Most people advocating this supposed fight for women's rights would be best not to think about what would happen to a female if she were to be captured.

I guess that makes me a sexist. /shrugs

I'm 100% totally against the draft, but if we're to have one then women should be included. There's no justice letting one group of people vote another group of people into a war with immunity.

kcchiefs6465
07-04-2013, 12:19 AM
I'm 100% totally against the draft, but if we're to have one then women should be included. There's no justice letting one group of people vote another group of people into a war with immunity.
I am not particularly against military enlistment, per se, but if we have it, women should be restricted from combat duty. I don't much care for the argument of "What if they can carry as much as the physical test requires?" It is a moot point for me. The time women should be fighting (and men for that matter) is if/when they roll up on our shores. (which is never going to happen)

I am against the draft and will personally be a conscientious objector towards it if ever issued but simply because I may be forced into a cage for resisting would not ever be grounds for me to argue that women be subjected to the same treatment. Less tyranny is a step towards the right direction. Normalizing that tyranny is a step towards compliance and a sense of normalcy in our culture. I reject it on its face.

I suppose I'm old fashioned.

Ender
07-04-2013, 01:12 AM

Or a doctor's. ;)

I come from a family of lottsa men and they all write beautifully- my mom's fault.

Ender
07-04-2013, 01:14 AM
I am not particularly against military enlistment, per se, but if we have it, women should be restricted from combat duty. I don't much care for the argument of "What if they can carry as much as the physical test requires?" It is a moot point for me. The time women should be fighting (and men for that matter) is if/when they roll up on our shores. (which is never going to happen)

I am against the draft and will personally be a conscientious objector towards it if ever issued but simply because I may be forced into a cage for resisting would not ever be grounds for me to argue that women be subjected to the same treatment. Less tyranny is a step towards the right direction. Normalizing that tyranny is a step towards compliance and a sense of normalcy in our culture. I reject it on its face.

I suppose I'm old fashioned.

That makes me old fashioned too, because I am in complete agreement.

Generalissimo
07-04-2013, 01:18 AM
Or a doctor's. ;)

I used to think doctors had horrible handwriting, but I've come to realize they have their own secret script. No pun intended.

I come from a family of lottsa men and they all write beautifully- my mom's fault.

Good parenting.

Nobexliberty
07-04-2013, 03:39 AM
I am sexist by modern standards, that is believing males and females are not 100% the same with the exeption of some physical features.