PDA

View Full Version : Deaths Attributed To Prescription Pain Killers Soaring

AuH20
07-03-2013, 07:58 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/03/health/rate-of-painkiller-overdose-deaths-rises-among-women.html?partner=MYWAY&ei=5065&_r=0

Scrapmo
07-03-2013, 08:00 AM
FDA approved.

Scrapmo
07-03-2013, 08:04 AM
I work in a hospital with a chemical detox facility on site. By and large our patients are fighting addiction of legal drugs, alcohol and pain killers. I have yet to see a single patient in the detox facility because of marijuana.

Elias Graves
07-03-2013, 08:10 AM
My own niece died in December from a fatal combination of pain killers and Benadryl.
"Accidental" death. No liability on the part of the chemists who crank this shit out.

What amazed me in my days as a scout leader was that damn near 2/3 of the kids at camp had to line up for ADHD meds every day. Taking a bunch of zombies for a hike was loads of fun.

LibertyEagle
07-03-2013, 08:32 AM
My concern is that they will use this to crack down even more on dispensing pain killers to those who really need them.

seraphson
07-03-2013, 08:38 AM
I work in a hospital with a chemical detox facility on site. By and large our patients are fighting addiction of legal drugs, alcohol and pain killers. I have yet to see a single patient in the detox facility because of marijuana.

Haven't you heard? After three decades and presumably billions of spent tax dollars (salaries, pensions, jail occupation, maintenance, administration, etc.) the War on Drugs has finally removed all traces of marijuana and other "illegal" substances off the streets. That and the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy are throwing a party this 4th to celebrate such a success.

HOLLYWOOD
07-03-2013, 08:39 AM
How many die from POT again?

This is the huge Big Pharma-Fascist Government CON-GAME oppression on the citizenry. Then again those POT growers aren't donating $100s of millions in campaign contributions, FDA bribery, and trust monopoly policies.

In Florida the deaths from Oxycotin based semi-synthetic opiates were: 11 a Day. 11 a Day!

Elias Graves
07-03-2013, 09:11 AM
My concern is that they will use this to crack down even more on dispensing pain killers to those who really need them.

Not likely. As long as there's profit to be made its full steam ahead.

Kotin
07-03-2013, 09:31 AM
these drugs are legal so therefore they must be safe..

/sarc

tod evans
07-03-2013, 10:48 AM
There's no reason for opioids to be illegal, synthetic or natural.

The fact that patients aren't educated about contraindications and adverse effects are in no way the fault of the chemical or its manufacturer.

Pain medication serves an honest function in patient care and anyone who argues against it has a sadistic streak.

LibertyEagle
07-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Not likely. As long as there's profit to be made its full steam ahead.

They are already extremely restricted. It should not be so difficult for people who are in immense pain to get the most effective pain drugs they can get.

Doctors are threatened daily by the all powerful government and they are scared to dispense the most effective drugs, and in many cases, the least harmful drugs. For example, they can prescribe a drug that has hydrocodone in it with TONS of tylenol added, all day long; but, they cannot a drug that has hydrocodone with very little tylenol. These two drugs have been placed in two entirely different classes of drugs, when the only difference between them is the amount of tylenol. This is a problem because tylenol is known to destroy your liver if you take it long-term.

tod evans
07-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Patients need to learn "cold extraction" in order to preserve their health...

Valli6
07-03-2013, 11:03 AM
What's with all the nannyizing?

This is propaganda to enable more government monitoring and control over our personal lives. They want everyones medical records including access to all drug prescriptions - they want to create a "prescription drug monitoring program".
https://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/26/health/fda-vote-on-restricting-hydrocodone-products-vicodin.html

This is just an extension of the drug war! It's already very difficult to get painkillers, despite the way they suggest doctors are handing them out like mints. I know from experience they are NOT! There are already plenty of restrictions to deter their use, and intimidate doctors from prescribing them.

This analysis doesn't even differentiate between actual overdoses, suicides, and "overdoses" that are the result of using painkillers on top of other drugs - including illegal ones! If they discover a dead person had a pain prescription, they choose to view that prescription as contributing to the cause of death, and add it to the tally.
http://www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns/PrescriptionPainkillerOverdoses/index.html

Some of us could benefit from these medications and are already being denied relief. :mad:
Please don't support this offshoot of the drug war.

angelatc
07-03-2013, 11:07 AM

This is propaganda to enable more government monitoring and control over our personal lives. They want everyones medical records including access to all drug prescriptions - they want to create a "prescription drug monitoring program".
https://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/26/health/fda-vote-on-restricting-hydrocodone-products-vicodin.html

This is just an extension of the drug war! It's already very difficult to get painkillers, despite the way they suggest doctors are handing them out like mints. I know from experience they are NOT! There are already plenty of restrictions to deter their use, and intimidate doctors from prescribing them.

Some of us could benefit from these medications and are already being denied relief. :mad:

From someone who is allergic to NSAIDs, A-freaking men.

tod evans
07-03-2013, 11:14 AM
Plain ol' opium has been used as a pain reliever for centuries, it's hypoallergenic and quiet effective. 100% natural too.

Unfortunately 100% illegal too.

Valli6
07-03-2013, 11:16 AM
For example, they can prescribe a drug that has hydrocodone in it with TONS of tylenol added, all day long; but, they cannot a drug that has hydrocodone with very little tylenol. These two drugs have been placed in two entirely different classes of drugs, when the only difference between them is the amount of tylenol. This is a problem because tylenol is known to destroy your liver if you take it long-term.
I know several people who can't use pain meds because they have liver problems and can't ingest the tylenol. There is actually a version of the drug where the codiene is mixed with ibuprofen (advil) instead. For some reason their doctors aren't prescribing it - have to assume it has something to do with politics and the FDA?
:confused:

tod evans
07-03-2013, 11:31 AM
I know several people who can't use pain meds because they have liver problems and can't ingest the tylenol. There is actually a version of the drug where the codiene is mixed with ibuprofen (advil) instead. For some reason their doctors aren't prescribing it - have to assume it has something to do with politics and the FDA?

See post #12....

Google it!

No need to hurt!

dannno
07-03-2013, 05:06 PM
I have yet to see a single patient in the detox facility because of marijuana.

Probably because cannabis is about as toxic as water.

Zippyjuan
07-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Solutions? Should we ban them? Tighten restriction currently in place? Should we go the other way with a free market and remove all restrictions on selling them? Should we do the same thing with other items people can kill themselves with like alcohol and guns? Ideas?

amy31416
07-03-2013, 05:19 PM

That is one of the most tragic effects of the drug war. I watched a documentary years ago of people dying slowly, being in massive pain and not being able to get pain meds--so much so that many were seeking to kill themselves just to stop the pain.

tod evans
07-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Solutions? Should we ban them? Should we go the other way with a free market and remove all restrictions on selling them? Should we do the same thing with other items people can kill themselves with like alcohol and guns? Ideas?

Painkillers including those currently "outlawed" should be available to anyone over 18 who can pass a simple test acknowledging understanding of the adverse effects of the drug.

No doctor note, no feds.

amy31416
07-03-2013, 05:22 PM

Doesn't ibuprofen have adverse effect on your liver as well?

dannno
07-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Solutions? Should we ban them? Tighten restriction currently in place? Should we go the other way with a free market and remove all restrictions on selling them? Should we do the same thing with other items people can kill themselves with like alcohol and guns? Ideas?

Legalize the natural, safer alternatives. I don't just mean legalize the substances, but legalize the first amendment, let individuals and organizations publish their own trials and tests and allow manufacturers to use the first amendment to make claims of their product's uses. The more competition the better, people will figure out which substances are relatively safe and effective. There will always be addicts and there will always be people abusing substances, but banning substances usually just leads to people finding more dangerous alternatives, legal or otherwise.

tod evans
07-03-2013, 05:25 PM

Of course it does!

ThePenguinLibertarian
07-03-2013, 05:34 PM
My own niece died in December from a fatal combination of pain killers and Benadryl.
"Accidental" death. No liability on the part of the chemists who crank this shit out.

What amazed me in my days as a scout leader was that damn near 2/3 of the kids at camp had to line up for ADHD meds every day. Taking a bunch of zombies for a hike was loads of fun.

Why are they zombies? did they not march right?

ThePenguinLibertarian
07-03-2013, 05:36 PM
Plain ol' opium has been used as a pain reliever for centuries, it's hypoallergenic and quiet effective. 100% natural too.

natural does not mean good. Read Science Based Medicine. There a plenty things in nature that suck.

ThePenguinLibertarian
07-03-2013, 05:39 PM
Legalize the natural, safer alternatives. I don't just mean legalize the substances, but legalize the first amendment, let individuals and organizations publish their own trials and tests and allow manufacturers to use the first amendment to make claims of their product's uses. The more competition the better, people will figure out which substances are relatively safe and effective. There will always be addicts and there will always be people abusing substances, but banning substances usually just leads to people finding more dangerous alternatives, legal or otherwise.
What individuals would people trust? Sadly, its mostly government because the scientist are all there. I think something like US Phamacoepia (a private precursor to the FDA) would be better than some "alternative" scientists or the FDA. Plus conflicting data has to be peer reviewed by a board. Technically the world's best scientists work for the government because the government has successfully crowded out all the private researchers. If you want a grant, you go to the NIH. Or else, you don't eat. Its one of government's biggest crimes, locking out others to gain for themselves.

tod evans
07-03-2013, 05:41 PM
natural does not mean good. Read Science Based Medicine. There a plenty things in nature that suck.

Um, I've been fairly well versed in medicine since the '70's and fully understand the post I made.

Do you?

ThePenguinLibertarian
07-03-2013, 05:45 PM
Um, I've been fairly well versed in medicine since the '70's and fully understand the post I made.

Do you?

Well, i think you know better than me. ANd yes, i do also know what i post. I think marijuanna should be legalized. It can be a very good alternative to some synthetic drugs that are not tested well. Natural does not always mean good. Natural is a subjective word. Some drugs came from roots or leaves. These herbs' good content (let say a chemical that kills cancer cells) are not always as potent as it could be. So, synthetic drugs are made. We isolate the gene or property and turn into a pill with more of that isolated properties potency.

Valli6
07-05-2013, 11:44 AM
Yet P0ppy seeds are legal. These heirloom pae0nifl0rum and sOmniferum (same) have many large, lovely blooms on hefty plants. xxx.selectseeds.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/044799.2.9481892792320362372

No doubt some think so, but tylenol is the one doctors always warn their hepatically compromised patients about (who by the way, should take lots of milkthistle.)

From someone who is allergic to NSAIDs, A-freaking men.

Those stomach-bleeders can help with certain kinds of pain, but not all. At the same time, they always make me feel ill and weakened - ie; standing too long, or being in sunlight, makes me feel like throwing up. :cool:Garden appropriately, and try an invigorating cup of tea now and then.

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-05-2013, 11:45 AM

This analysis doesn't even differentiate between actual overdoses, suicides, and "overdoses" that are the result of using painkillers on top of other drugs - including illegal ones! If they discover a dead person had a pain prescription, they choose to view that prescription as contributing to the cause of death, and add it to the tally.
http://www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns/PrescriptionPainkillerOverdoses/index.html

I concur. I got antiobiotics a few months ago and I remember as a kid they used to give you a whole bottle. I got like 4 pills. Wtf?

Valli6
07-05-2013, 11:53 AM
I concur. I got antiobiotics a few months ago and I remember as a kid they used to give you a whole bottle. I got like 4 pills. Wtf?
Maybe it's the type of antibiotic? I know there are newer ones that don't require you to take as many pills as the old ones - each pill has a longer lasting effect. Also, they now believe it's not wise to take more antibiotics than absolutely necessary - it could lead to resistent forms of the bacteria being treated.

donnay
07-05-2013, 12:04 PM

That's why our troops are in Afghanistan guarding the opium for the REAL drug dealers.

https://publicintelligence.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/USopium6.png

getch36
07-07-2013, 11:54 PM
It was 17 years ago that a "friend" gave me a white pill and told me it would help me relax.It was prescription so it must be safe,right?That was my first Vicodin and the beginning of my decent into hell.I would give anything to go back and not take that pill.....................