PDA

View Full Version : Probably the Best 2nd Amendment Speech Ever

jFico89
07-02-2013, 08:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh1zornUVv8

osan
12-13-2013, 08:22 AM
This needs a bump.

If you've not watched it, please do so. You will not be sorry.

This young man has my full respect. He is so on the money and I applaud his restraint.

Acala
12-13-2013, 10:02 AM
Pretty good. But no soldier fighting in Iraq did so to protect liberty in this country or anywhere else.

osan
12-13-2013, 10:40 AM
Pretty good. But no soldier fighting in Iraq did so to protect liberty in this country or anywhere else.

Not so. Here you are making the common error of conflating result with intent.

I know for a fact that scads of these men and women did what you say they did not. That they were mistaken in believing their actions were abetting the goals in question is orthogonal to the belief itself and the intentions underpinning them. You cannot fault a man his noble intentions - not even those of the progressive and the communist, when they are genuine. Their misguidedness, ignorance, and single mindedly vicious determination to force those intentions upon others is a wholly different issue altogether.

Many of those soldiers are directing their efforts in the belief they are making things right for liberty and the nation. Consider how many have returned with the realization that what they did had nothing to do with what they had intended. They have become the disillusioned new acolytes of a truer sense of human liberty. There is no sin there in itself. That their actions bore wholly different results from what they had intended is no eternal shame upon them and you should be aware of that. We all should. This does not mean we embrace the things they did or the actual political mission of which they were instruments. We simply forgive them their human failings, try to help them see a greater truth, and keep ourselves on the righteous path.

Gain understanding and have some charity for your fellows. Ignorance abounds and it is upon those oceans that good human intentions find themselves adrift. This is a dismaying realization to which one comes, but it is an essential fright to which one must be subjected if he is to expand himself towards greater truths. It tends to change the outlook fundamentally and irreversibly.

juleswin
12-13-2013, 10:47 AM

I try to pretend I did not hear that part and enjoy the really nice part of that speech. I am sure he had very good intentions going in but we know good intention is meaningless if it actually brings about the opposite of what they intended to do. But it is still a little better than having a bad intention and performing bad deeds.

JK/SEA
12-13-2013, 11:30 AM
joining the military because you couldn't find a 'good' job is very patriotic, because when you keep telling yourself over and over and over that you joined to defend freedom, makes it all better.....in your own mind.

chudrockz
12-13-2013, 11:34 AM
This needs a bump.

If you've not watched it, please do so. You will not be sorry.

This young man has my full respect. He is so on the money and I applaud his restraint.

Another bump. I haven't watched it yet and unfortunately the computers in the breakroom at work have no sound, so I'll have to check it out when I get home this afternoon.

Acala
12-13-2013, 02:01 PM
Not so. Here you are making the common error of conflating result with intent.

I know for a fact that scads of these men and women did what you say they did not. That they were mistaken in believing their actions were abetting the goals in question is orthogonal to the belief itself and the intentions underpinning them. You cannot fault a man his noble intentions - not even those of the progressive and the communist, when they are genuine. Their misguidedness, ignorance, and single mindedly vicious determination to force those intentions upon others is a wholly different issue altogether.

Many of those soldiers are directing their efforts in the belief they are making things right for liberty and the nation. Consider how many have returned with the realization that what they did had nothing to do with what they had intended. They have become the disillusioned new acolytes of a truer sense of human liberty. There is no sin there in itself. That their actions bore wholly different results from what they had intended is no eternal shame upon them and you should be aware of that. We all should. This does not mean we embrace the things they did or the actual political mission of which they were instruments. We simply forgive them their human failings, try to help them see a greater truth, and keep ourselves on the righteous path.

Gain understanding and have some charity for your fellows. Ignorance abounds and it is upon those oceans that good human intentions find themselves adrift. This is a dismaying realization to which one comes, but it is an essential fright to which one must be subjected if he is to expand himself towards greater truths. It tends to change the outlook fundamentally and irreversibly.

My syntax was ambiguous. I didn't mean to say anything about what he believed. I have no idea. He very well might still believe the propaganda they rammed down his throat, if for no other reason than to protect the illusion he needs to keep from breaking down about it all.